Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #511
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You do realize you just typed absolutely nothing, right?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #512
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Then again, many on your side of the aisle wanted to do away with the Electoral system after it allowed George Bush to win in 2000. Right buddy? You know, that time when Gore won the popular vote but Bush the Electoral?

Yeah...I know...now you love the system again and use it to declare a "demolishing"
I want to do with away with the Electoral College ASAP. I want everybody's vote to have equal weight. This catering to a few swing states is nonsense IMO.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #513
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
I want to do with away with the Electoral College ASAP. I want everybody's vote to have equal weight. This catering to a few swing states is nonsense IMO.
You didn't visit any swing states from September to Election Day, did you?

We both live in states that the candidates only visit for fundraisers. We did not have to suffer through the barrage of tv ads. When I was in swing states from sep till the election, the commercials were unbearable.

Trust me, you'll like it better the way it is.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #514
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
You didn't visit any swing states from September to Election Day, did you?

We both live in states that the candidates only visit for fundraisers. We did not have to suffer through the barrage of tv ads. When I was in swing states from sep till the election, the commercials were unbearable.

Trust me, you'll like it better the way it is.
No doubt you are right about that. I have a buddy in Denver who said it was horrible. And that was back in mid-September.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #515
lsbets

Quote:
No doubt you are right about that. I have a buddy in Denver who said it was horrible. And that was back in mid-September.
Not just the volume. The tone from both sides was disgusting. I didn't see one ad that said "vote for me I'm awesome". They were all along the lines of "he will steal your money and your children" or "he killed my grandmother, ground her up, and made a meatloaf out of her". Compared to the campaigns, we are downright civilized here on pa ot.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #516
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Tom has never been aware of anything else, why would he be aware of this.
You an stillriledup, togther you two make an interesting wit.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #517
highnote

Quote:

I think the electoral college functions just as the founders envisioned. The rural states deserve a voice. If a popular vote was used democrats would win the presidency more often because they outnumber repubs -- especially in metropolitan areas.

That said, perhaps if the presidency was determined by popular vote that would motivate more repubs to get out and vote.

This also goes back to the point I tried to make in another thread that the North should have let the South secede from the Union. The southern states tend to vote differently from the northerns states. So why should southern states be governed by northern politics -- and vice-versa?

Now, I am certain that there are a lot of arguments that can be made pro and con for the electoral college.

Final point -- we have a gridlock in congress. This is also what the founders wanted. They felt that the less the government does the less chance there is that they will screw things up. So I like the bi-partison fighting that results in neither side getting what they want.

Let the citizens go about their lives and don't let the busy-body politicians try to force things upon us that we do not want!
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #518
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
I think the electoral college functions just as the founders envisioned. The rural states deserve a voice. If a popular vote was used democrats would win the presidency more often because they outnumber repubs -- especially in metropolitan areas.

That said, perhaps if the presidency was determined by popular vote that would motivate more repubs to get out and vote.

This also goes back to the point I tried to make in another thread that the North should have let the South secede from the Union. The southern states tend to vote differently from the northerns states. So why should southern states be governed by northern politics -- and vice-versa?

Now, I am certain that there are a lot of arguments that can be made pro and con for the electoral college.

Final point -- we have a gridlock in congress. This is also what the founders wanted. They felt that the less the government does the less chance there is that they will screw things up. So I like the bi-partison fighting that results in neither side getting what they want.

Let the citizens go about their lives and don't let the busy-body politicians try to force things upon us that we do not want!
Somehow I dont think our FF's envisioned 50,000 page legislative laws either. Nor do I think they envisioned circumventing congress or any of the other shenanigans that has been pulled over the last few decades
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #519
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Somehow I dont think our FF's envisioned 50,000 page legislative laws either. Nor do I think they envisioned circumventing congress or any of the other shenanigans that has been pulled over the last few decades

Agreed
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: