Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 05:20 AM   #1
BMustang

Sunny Isle Beach

There is a firster running in the second at Churchill today which conjures up fond memories of my days spent in South Florida during my "good old days" of the late 90's.
I stayed at a mom/pop beach motel on the extreme north end of Miami Beach, named The Ocean Roc, - not to be confused with the Eden Roc. It was more rusty, than rustic, but I truly loved it. I would often stay the entire Gulfstream Meet. It was my happy place. I had a balcony room overlooking the beach on the second floor and would stay for weeks for $1,500 a month. It had a dandy little beachfront restaurant where I would spend my mornings dining and perusing the Racing Form.
Next door to the north, was the start of the town of Sunny Isle Beach, comprised of oceanfront residents and gated communities. It stretches about two miles on the A1A connecting North Beach with Hallandale Beach. It was the ultimate speed trap, as the speed limit was like 25mph and there was normally a cruiser sitting on both ends of it.

I would usually drive both ways through Sunny Isles twice a day, unless I opted to go through Aventura and come in via US-1, once going to Gulfstream Park in the late morning, and again in the evening, with my destination being Dania Jai-Alai or the Hollywood Dog Track. I was fortunate to never have received a speeding ticket in all of the years that I spent there.

Life was good then. "The Roc" has long been torn down, replaced with a high-rise, and I never took a liking to "new Gulfstream", now spending my remaining digressionary dollars at Presque Isle Downs in the summer.

I know nothing about this horse other than it is a Jimmy Creed first time starter out of a Kitten's Joy mare, owned by Ken and Sarah Ramsey.

I would be curious as to the reason for naming the horse Sunny Isle Beach and any other fond memories others might have of this area, and a bygone era.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Muddy
Muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
There is a firster running in the second at Churchill today which conjures up fond memories of my days spent in South Florida during my "good old days" of the late 90's.
I stayed at a mom/pop beach motel on the extreme north end of Miami Beach, named The Ocean Roc, - not to be confused with the Eden Roc. It was more rusty, than rustic, but I truly loved it. I would often stay the entire Gulfstream Meet. It was my happy place. I had a balcony room overlooking the beach on the second floor and would stay for weeks for $1,500 a month. It had a dandy little beachfront restaurant where I would spend my mornings dining and perusing the Racing Form.
Next door to the north, was the start of the town of Sunny Isle Beach, comprised of oceanfront residents and gated communities. It stretches about two miles on the A1A connecting North Beach with Hallandale Beach. It was the ultimate speed trap, as the speed limit was like 25mph and there was normally a cruiser sitting on both ends of it.

I would usually drive both ways through Sunny Isles twice a day, unless I opted to go through Aventura and come in via US-1, once going to Gulfstream Park in the late morning, and again in the evening, with my destination being Dania Jai-Alai or the Hollywood Dog Track. I was fortunate to never have received a speeding ticket in all of the years that I spent there.

Life was good then. "The Roc" has long been torn down, replaced with a high-rise, and I never took a liking to "new Gulfstream", now spending my remaining digressionary dollars at Presque Isle Downs in the summer.

I know nothing about this horse other than it is a Jimmy Creed first time starter out of a Kitten's Joy mare, owned by Ken and Sarah Ramsey.

I would be curious as to the reason for naming the horse Sunny Isle Beach and any other fond memories others might have of this area, and a bygone era.
Winner SUNNY ISLE BEACH $8.80 $4.60 $3.40
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-07-2020, 01:27 AM   #3
BMustang

Actually I confused Sunny Isle Beach, with Golden Beach.
Golden Beach is the town ABOVE Sunny Isle that connects Dade County (North Miami Beach) with Broward County on A1A, and is the speed trap.

The Ocean Roc where I stayed was in Sunny Isles.
Great Memories!!!!

Last edited by BMustang; 06-07-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Golden Beach is the town ABOVE Sunny Isle that connects Dade County (North Miami Beach) with Broward County on A1A, and is the speed trap.

Great Memories!!!!
Carroll Rosenbloom lived in one of the mansions on Golden Beach. he also drowned in the ocean there with plenty of controversy.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #5
Afleet

Quote:

That sounds like good times to me!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #6
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:

Great Memories!!!!
The owners, Sarah & Ken Ramsey have a condo in sunny isles, at the Ritz I think.

Golden Beach, Empty ocean front lots start at 10 million. They have a zoning ordinance that only allows single family homes ---no multi families or towers.

I think you need a minimum lot size of 20,000 SQ feet as well.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 12:34 AM   #7
Suff
Beat up 💪

Thats it from my Balcony in Aventura. You can walk to Gulfstream Park. From Gulfstream, walk down Hallandale Beach Blvd until you hit the beach, take a right, 1/2 mile down starts Golden Beach.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #8
Suff
Beat up 💪

20 million dollars an acre in Golden Beach

Three miles away Frank Stronach paid $95 million for Gulfstream Park & its 300 acres.

Conservatively its worth $500 million.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
BMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
The owners, Sarah & Ken Ramsey have a condo in sunny isles, at the Ritz I think.
Thanks!!! There was obviously a connection there.
Sunny Isle Beach ran from around the Newport Pier up to what was then the Ocean Roc, and started next door to where I stayed.

I also took my fishing rods, and after the races would stop at Publix, get some fresh shrimp, get back to the motel, change into some wading gear, skip down the back stairs at the Roc and be on the beach. I caught everything from Whiting to Sharks. I also caught a lot of Pompano, which was a local delicacy and gave them to the gal who ran the restaurant at the Roc. She served dinner one night a week and included them on the menu that night. They were VERY popular.

Yes, good, long gone days!!!

I had no idea the property values were that high. Next to the Ocean Roc was a wall, across that wall was a single occupancy dwelling that I would estimate would sell for @$150,000 here in Northern Kentucky. I always thought that would be a great place to live, never guessing that it was that far out of my price range.

Last edited by BMustang; 06-08-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Suff
Beat up 💪

Golden Beach is a bubble. The zoning & limited space makes it what it is.

Golden Beach has been Williamsburged...., Brooklyn people will understand that.

Once you get into Hallandale, off the beach, but near Gulfstream, it drops off a cliff.

I watch Real Estate closely. Look at what Covin has done here. Prices dropping 25+%.

These are affordable and offer Florida living.

This is from Friday. All hallandale beach & likely going lower.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
v j stauffer

Quote:

Hopefully you were in a 1959 to 1962 Cadillac Convertible when making that drive. Never getting over 25 mph! Know that area VERY well. Great post.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: