Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

America's Day at the Races

FS1 and FS2 both doing a nice job of covering the races in this limited sports markers. I notice a consistent effort by all the host to educate the many viewers who do not regularly follow racing, explaining a lot of stuff we never think twice about. Good job - maybe a few will stay on.

btw, the offer FREE EB PPs for each day's races at NYRABETs.om/foxsports - all tacks in one large PDF.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
Secondbest

Free EB. Nice Thanks for telling
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
CheckMark

Yes thank you! Nice that these websites keep posting free pp's for us horseplayers!

http://www.equibase.com/content/Cust...cast042620.pdf
Old 04-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
FS1 and FS2 both doing a nice job of covering the races in this limited sports markers. I notice a consistent effort by all the host to educate the many viewers who do not regularly follow racing, explaining a lot of stuff we never think twice about. Good job - maybe a few will stay on.

btw, the offer FREE EB PPs for each day's races at NYRABETs.om/foxsports - all tacks in one large PDF.
I guess it is ok, the bar has been set pretty low. I find Gary Stevens awful when he tries to handicap. Jonathan Kinchen gave out a cold Daily Double yesterday that was paying $7 and neither hit the board. He then gave out a P5 with three consecutive chalk singles. At least the first one won the race.

I like both those guys. Stevens was a great, great rider, but a handicapper? Come on. His "pace handicapping" was pretty laughable. I don't know what the deal is with Kinchen giving out this ultra chalk. That isn't helping anybody. I know he had a big priced winner in the Oaklawn Stakes a few weeks ago. That is great and was a nice call obviously. But there is nothing going on with those shows that are teaching people anything but the very basics and how to lose pretty quickly.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #5
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I guess it is ok, the bar has been set pretty low. I find Gary Stevens awful when he tries to handicap. Jonathan Kinchen gave out a cold Daily Double yesterday that was paying $7 and neither hit the board. He then gave out a P5 with three consecutive chalk singles. At least the first one won the race.

I like both those guys. Stevens was a great, great rider, but a handicapper? Come on. His "pace handicapping" was pretty laughable. I don't know what the deal is with Kinchen giving out this ultra chalk. That isn't helping anybody. I know he had a big priced winner in the Oaklawn Stakes a few weeks ago. That is great and was a nice call obviously. But there is nothing going on with those shows that are teaching people anything but the very basics and how to lose pretty quickly.
Well said! Idk why people keep thinking that Kinchen is a good capper?? He also does his work for CBS/Sportsline and the sports betting app The Action Network! He is such a chalk player

Last edited by CheckMark; 04-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

Tom Amos has been impressive the last couple days....I am taking notes next weekend!

But at least they might generate some interest in new people actually opening accounts and playing along. The NYRA Bet20 is a good move.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Tom Amos has been impressive the last couple days....I am taking notes next weekend!

But at least they might generate some interest in new people actually opening accounts and playing along. The NYRA Bet20 is a good move.
Agree, he's really good.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #8
DeoVolente

I prefer watching TVG since the last time I tuned into America’s Day At The Races there were no Gulfstream races. Also, no Andy Serling.
DeoVolente is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

They said Andy will on this coming weekend.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Bennie

Just have to learn how to use their picks. Like automatic toss. A friend of mine and I used to make money on Monday Night football by doing that. I believe it was Benjamin Lee Eckstein, might have misspelled that, but he used to pick the game in the daily news and we would bet on the other team. We hit like 14 of 16 games every season until he stopped. And we would double up the week following any game he might have gotten right. It was like money in the bank. Kind of like the poor showing that horses featured on the cover of the DRF have. I don't know if anyone else follows this but they always seem to lose. of all the people on the show, Tom Amoss is the only one that I pay attention to.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #11
Mason

The majority of public handicappers aren't good at all. Could be on a network, could be at the track, could be on their twitter feed, they just cannot provide consistent reliable results for the fans actually paying attention to their selections.

One of the online handicappers who publishes the "A" & "B" charts gave out a Gulfstream mandatory Pick 6 ticket that would have cost $9,420 and still did not hit it with all those combinations played. The last race winner that day was $7.90-1 going off as the 4th choice, in a field of 12, & in that leg the handicapper went nine horses deep, to only lose.

These guys win one big handicapping contest, or hit a big ticket, and they think they know everything about horse race handicapping to make them experts
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

No show today?
Old 03-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Looks like no show today.
FOX has national checkers tourney and the Geezer Games semi finals.

Last edited by Tom; 03-20-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Kinchen took some heat in this thread. I don't know him personally and never met him, but I'm going to defend his handicapping. I think he's good.

I think what he generally does is both look for the most logical winner and horses that could provide value because they might be better than they look on paper. If he finds good value he talks about it. What he doesn't often do is go fishing for a price trying to beat the favorite when he thinks it's legitimate.

I have no idea how he actually bets these races, but when you are a public handicapper you are kind of screwed. If the favorite is legitimate and you don't want to bet on or against it but you still have to give out some kind of pick what are you going to do?

On TV it's hard to say "I think you should pass this race" because the favorite is legit, doesn't offer good enough value, and I don't have a live longshot to use with him. You can either give out the favorite or go fishing. Privately, you can pass it.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I noticed TVG is not showing Belmont today. Will they be on FOX exclusively this meet?
Saratoga too?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: