Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
daydreamer

The One Minute Handicapper

I would like know if anyone has used The One Minute Handicapper and what kind of results did you have.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Maxspa

OMH!

DayDreamer,
I have the book, read it and hope to use parts of it at Saratoga. Two opinions regarding its value. IMHO the book has something to offer for the beginner and seasoned veteran.
For the beginner it is a primer that will help you analyze what the racing form has to offer and will provide practice in two ways. Reading the book will force you to look at the various 22 points by going over the situations and then reviewing them as you continue to read the material. Secondly, the workbook and worksheets contain the important factors and requires a simple check mark for summary purposes.
Experienced handicappers sometimes emphasize one area like speed figures for example and forget other important handicapping basics. This book and workbook will help you to look at the overall picture.
In my opinion it is a worthwhile addition to one's handicapping arsenal!
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
daydreamer

Maxspa,
Thanks for input, I will look into the system.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Just ordered it. Will report back soon.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
lsosa54

Sounds like it's along the conceptual lines of Tim Maas' "Overlay Handicapping" process, although I have not read Tim's books.
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Maxspa

More Than Overlays!

Isosa,
This is a fundamental approach to handicapping! Naturally, one would be looking for price horses but that is not the main purpose of OMH! When you read the book (Over 300 pages) you'll be amazed at what you might skip over when reading the Racing Form. This book helps you zero in on what the author considers important handicapping factors. Since he was a handicapper first and a horse owner later, you are given the opportunity to aprroach the subject from different perpectives.
None of the handicapping areas are a huge secret but reading the book helps you the handicapper focus in on a variety of evaluative procedures. Most important the workbook sheets help you to implement the factors that were discussed throughout the book!
I have HSH and that will be my primary handicapping program while I'm in
Saratoga. OMH will be used as a supplement only!
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

I received my copy of The One-Minute Handicapper today. (Two days after I ordered!)

First, let me just say that I found myself as a kid in a candy store as I browsed the materials. The materials are first-rate. All the colors and forms, etc. are not cheap to produce. (I know about that; the 2007 HorseStreet Pars cost us over $12 per copy to print.)

I have only begun to read the materials and, as Max said, it is meant as a supplement to handicapping. From what I have gathered thus far, there are 22 angles brought together nicely in a nice worksheet.

As I perused the angles, there isn't a single one that was earth-shattering to me, but remember that I am a tough audience. After all, this is what I do. Most of you, as experienced horse players will likely say, "I knew that" or "nothing new here." The beginner-to-intermediate player will, however, glean some wonderful ideas very quickly.

This is a very early review and I will write more later, but here it is:

Quote:
If you are anything less than a stone-cold winning player, just go buy this material and be done with it.

If you are a winning player, then, like me, you can justify the cost of just about anything new that comes along just to see if there are any new ideas. After all, just one new-to-you idea will more than pay for the book. This is no exception.

Buy it now!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: And in case anyone should question my motives, I am nobody's shill. I have never (to my knowledge) spoken or emailed anyone involved with this product and certainly have no financial interest (although I admit I'd like to).
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
bigmack

Hear about it from the horses mouth:
http://www.thoroughbredconnection.com/

I rather suspect it's geared more towards a novice. Of the 22, he speaks of 2 and they're not exactly earth shattering

1: First Flash (of the tote)
2: Re-Claim

The One Minute Handicapper is a bit of a misnomer as well.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Overlay

Any honestly-offered attempt to increase interest in handicapping at a level that new players can understand, while also giving them a greater chance of coming out ahead than by just betting randomly, is a welcome development. (Of course, there's also wagering value to consider, but that can come later. )
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
andicap

For the veteran it sounds more like a checklist -- as Max suggests -- rather than a method. Not a bad idea if you at times forget to perform the basics (and that's your style of handicapping.) Maybe you'll see something on the list that jars you to say, "oh the horse is going a route for the first time and is the favorite. I overlooked that." Just an example.

Reminds me a little of Tom Hambleton's Form Points. None of the ideas in there were earth shattering and the method itself didn't work for everyone but if you worked the list you were at least covering the bases.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: