Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
garyoz

Milkshakes: The Tip of the Iceberg

If you haven't seen this article. (It is a DRF columnist but available for free and not registering on this link).

http://www.harnesstracks.com/commentary.htm

All I have to say is about time that it is recognized. What if 60 Minutes was doing a story of designer drugs in horse racing instead of baseball this Sunday? It would shake the game to its core. Instead of comparing Smarty Jones to Seabiscuit, the public would be asking if he should be compared to Barry Bonds.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
JPinMaryland

YOu know I read the whole item and didnt get anything in the way of hard news out of it. "Tip of iceberg." What that does that mean to you ? To me it means there is other stuff out there going on. Like other drugs.

THe story didnt even mention one other drug, or illicit practice or something "else" (of substance) to the story.

You know what horseracing "desperately needs?" Journalists who can write.
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Article in Todays NYPOST on NYRA starting Milkshake testing this week.

Here's the penalties.

One dirty. Every Horse you run again has to be brought to the receiving barn 24 hours before racing..

Second dirty? Death Penalty. Pack up your stalls, Horses and staff and get off the grounds.

Quote:
Rules concerning milkshake, or TCO2 testing, were adopted Feb. 4 on an emergency basis by the N.Y. State Racing and Wagering Board. Both pre- and post-race blood tests will be administered each day to determine if blood-gas levels exceed legal thresholds, set at 37 millimoles per liter.

Pre-race testing will be random, limited to four races per day, where horses will be taken to a receiving barn before the race and blood will be drawn by the N.Y. State veterinarian. Post-race tests will be given to the first three finishers (first four in superfecta races) and any other horses at the stewards' discretion.

Penalties will be administered by NYRA. For a first offense, a trainer whose horse tests positive will be required, at his or her expense, to move any horses entered to race into a NYRA security barn by 5 p.m. prior to race day, for a period of 30 days.

A second offense results in a trainer having his or her stalls revoked, and trainers who stable off the grounds will not be allowed to enter. In effect, a second offense means a permanent ban from racing on the NYRA circuit

http://www.nypost.com/sports/40306.htm
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
YOu know I read the whole item and didnt get anything in the way of hard news out of it. ... the story didnt even mention one other drug, or illicit practice or something "else" (of substance) to the story.

You know what horseracing "desperately needs?" Journalists who can write.

Are you suggesting nothing should be written until there is an Grand Jury indictment? The article is at least a start, instead of pretending performance enhancing drugs are not in use.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #5
delayjf

Quote:
Every Horse you run again has to be brought to the receiving barn 24 hours before racing..
Seems to me that a simular requirement for all horses running that day would go a long way to cleaning up the drug issue. 24 hours maybe to long, I don't know how long some of these designer drugs being used have to be administered to take affect. I recall an article wereby a horse was given something the night before the race, so maybe 24 hours would be required. Works in the Breeders Cup.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #6
Pace Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyoz
All I have to say is about time that it is recognized. What if 60 Minutes was doing a story of designer drugs in horse racing instead of baseball this Sunday? It would shake the game to its core. Instead of comparing Smarty Jones to Seabiscuit, the public would be asking if he should be compared to Barry Bonds.
Would you believe 60 minutes did this very story twenty (20) years ago with no core-shaking results?
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
garyoz

No kidding, that's interesting. But I think times have changed. If the public thought that the horses running in the KY Derby were using performance enhancing drugs do you think as many would tune in? I think alot of the romance would be gone. Would the networks pay as much for broadcast rights?

I'm a lifelong degenerate horseplayer and I'm really rethinking the time and resources that I put into the sport primarily due to the drug problem and the rebate shop players that have computers interfaced with the betting pools. Alot of the "sport" element is leaving the game. Sad part is except for a few tracks (such as Oaklawn and Tampa) I don't think race track management cares.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
Maxspa

Stan Bergstein-"The Tip of The Iceberg"

All,
Stan Bergstein wrote many informative articles for the U.S.T.A.. He was respected thirty years ago for his no nonsense racing approach and after I read his above article he hasn't changed. He has the foresight, honesty and a true love of horse racing. I can't understand why people can't believe that racing wouldn't be more successful if the drug issue was faced squarely and dealt with in a proper manner. Everybody wins but the bad elements who want a quick easy buck. They take your money and mine and ultimately the fun out of wagering altogether.
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
GeTydOn

Quote:
Alot of the "sport" element is leaving the game.
A lot of the sport has been taken out of many sporting events. Many have never considered horse racing a sporting event. Just a gambling event.
GeTydOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 PM   #10
JPinMaryland

Quote:
Are you suggesting nothing should be written until there is an Grand Jury indictment?
THe title of the story should match what the story is about. If you want to title the story "NYRA announces beginning of drugtesting." That would be descriptive. What is the iceberg? What is it the tip of? Tell me more.

Quote:
The article is at least a start, instead of pretending performance enhancing drugs are not in use.
A start of what? It's not like the publication is doing the testing, it's NYRA or whomever. Testing for Milkshakes is the start. A piece written about milkshake testing is not a start.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 AM   #11
garyoz

[A start of what? It's not like the publication is doing the testing, it's NYRA or whomever. Testing for Milkshakes is the start. A piece written about milkshake testing is not a start.[/QUOTE]

Historically, journalists play a role in our society called watchdogs. It is usually included under a larger concept called First Amendment Theory. By shedding light on a topic public opinion can be marshalled and that often leads to actions to correct problems. No need to parse words.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
JPinMaryland

MY problem is with the substance of the story which appears to be a mere announcement and does not convey anything having to do with "what" is under the iceberg.

If you think I am trying to justify milkshakes or not testing for drugs, then you are just not reading what I wrote. No need to put words in my mouth.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
Valuist

http://drf.com/news/article/62640.html

We ought to have a contest on what Mullins win percentage will be going forward. Its been my experience that trainers busted for drugs win about 10-11% of the time after they've been busted. Should yield some overbet favorites.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #14
speedking

Great point Valuist. For most of Oscar Barrera's career he was a 3-5% trainer, then he came up with a new formula for "milkshakes" it's believed. He jumped up into the 30% win range overnight almost. Probably won over 60% off the claim for a long stretch of time. When NYRA finally believed they had the goods on him, he suddenly hit a wall and won under 5% of his starts the last few years.

Speedking
speedking is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
garyoz

For what its worth, another columnist weighing in on the topic.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/21852.htm