Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Jayhawk6191
Having Fun

Daily Racing Form Extortion

A single digital edition is now $10 Fing dollars. Its been $5 to $6 the last few years.

As casual player who lives in Dallas and has to go out to LSP to get in the action, I resent this.

F U DRF
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
plainolebill

I think it was a buck fifty in 1970, 10 bucks just about accounts for inflation. But I feel your pain, I'm still betting two bucks.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Recently when I go to formulator card, I see "Looking for the legacy version of Formulator? Launch Calendar. (No extra charge for current racecard)"

Legacy version implys that what I am looking at is the latest version?

But 75% of formulator features are missing? No filtering, no merge of the works, no hyperlinks to pedigree, no distance/surface toggles. All it is, as it appears to me, is the basic PP's with links to charts and replays. Unless the obvious has gotten by me, something doesn't seem right.

Last edited by Suff; 07-13-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Recently when I go to formulator card, I see "Looking for the legacy version of Formulator? Launch Calendar. (No extra charge for current racecard)"

But 75% of formulator features are missing? No filtering, no merge of the works, no hyperlinks to pedigree, no distance/surface toggles. All it is, as it appears to me, is the basic PP's with links to charts and replays. Unless the obvious has gotten by me, something doesn't seem right.
Looks like the DRF is in the wrong business. (As if we didn't know.)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 AM   #5
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
I think it was a buck fifty in 1970, 10 bucks just about accounts for inflation. But I feel your pain, I'm still betting two bucks.

was 75 C back then if I'm not mistaken

The form would prefer to be ALL Digital I'm sure, much cheaper distribution
Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 AM   #6
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
was 75 C back then if I'm not mistaken

The form would prefer to be ALL Digital I'm sure, much cheaper distribution
Forget if I paid a buck or $1.25 back in the 80's, so 75¢ sounds about right for back then. When the form got to over $3 in rapid jumps after a ownership change I could see where this was going & switched to Bris. Missed the actual DRF, writing on a printout wasn't the same but it was either that or pay extra for stuff I didn't want or need.

By now don't even print the pps, only a track program & then make my figures & notes on it.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:09 AM   #7
capitalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

There are 2 options:
1) When you see this: Learn more Looking for the legacy version of Formulator? Launch Calendar. (No extra charge for current racecard)
Click on Launch Calendar-you can access the old Formulator PPs like you are used to by clicking on the track's date.

2) Go to your Member Center & click on your Formulator subscription. It will send you to the calendar & the old Formulator PPs.

Everything you like in Formulator is still there. I freaked out the 1st time I got the new Formulator PPs until I figured out how to access the original ones.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:13 AM   #8
capitalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk6191 View Post
A single digital edition is now $10 Fing dollars. Its been $5 to $6 the last few years.

As casual player who lives in Dallas and has to go out to LSP to get in the action, I resent this.

F U DRF
Unless you're playing a bunch of tracks that are in that day's Form, it's cheaper to either buy a card or get a subscription to DRF & print out the PPs only for the track or tracks you're playing that day. There are too many useless races in the printed Form for most players.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:30 AM   #9
Clocker

The only reason to buy the DRF is for their speed and other figures. If you don't use those, BRIS basic PPs are $1 per card, easily available on-line with all of the exact same actual data.

https://www.brisnet.com/product/past-performances/PPP
Old 07-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When started playing, I bought the Telegraph for 35 cents.
When it went to 40 cents, we had fits!

I bought a paper form last night - $11.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
classhandicapper

I'm not involved anymore, but I can assure you that all the significant features (plus improvements) of the legacy Formulator will be added to the new version in coming months.

The new one is being rolled out in stages because it's a monster of an application taking a large team working huge hours to complete in a timely fashion.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Prytanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainolebill View Post
It was 75 cents in 1974
Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
capitalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm not involved anymore, but I can assure you that all the significant features (plus improvements) of the legacy Formulator will be added to the new version in coming months.

The new one is being rolled out in stages because it's a monster of an application taking a large team working huge hours to complete in a timely fashion.
What DRF should have done was to send an e-mail to all Formulator subscribers explaining that even though they can bring up the new version, for the time being if you want all the features you need to use the Legacy version. Then they should have explained better how to get to the Legacy version.

At the time I 1st used it, I hadn't bet in about a month, had just bought the 40 card Saratoga special and my 1st thought was that I had just thrown my $ away on an inferior version. It was just by random hunting around that I found the 2 ways I mentioned above as the way to get to the Legacy PPs. All they need to do is have an icon that says "Original Formulator" or "Legacy Formulator" with the rest of the options at the top of the page instead of burying it in the new (incomplete) version of Formulator.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What DRF should have done was
That's the Mission Statement at DRf..."We shoulda......"
Old 07-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
It was 75 cents in 1974
I stand corrected -twice.