Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 04-02-2020, 08:13 PM   #31
lefty359

Back of the slide rule is the Amervar Variant instructions.
I had one not too long ago but now I can't find it.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #32
fmazur

I too have one buried somewhere in my garage along with a bunch of other handicapping paraphernalia. I used it quite a bit in the 70s. As I recall it was pretty good at that time.
fmazur is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #33
Longshot6977

I never used Taulbot's slide ruler, but it looks like a cool gizmo that takes out a lot of guesswork.
Speaking of other handicapping paraphernalia, has anyone ever used the Mattel Horse Race Analyzer device? I still have mine in the original box with instructions. I found the explanation online of how the software works too. I paid $125 for it in 1980. Memories.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #34
lefty359

Yep, remember he Mattel Analyzer. If memory serves, it worked on a formula related to a horses earnings.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #35
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
Yep, remember he Mattel Analyzer. If memory serves, it worked on a formula related to a horses earnings.
Earnings was a small part of the equation. Its algorithms were created by William Quirin, so it probably was a state of the art device back then.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #36
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivegauche610 View Post
Nice Borg's Ultimate Pace Handicapping (spiral bound xerox by author) $10
Pandolfo: $5 each
Pro Simulcast System
Pace Handicapping Longshots
Speed and Class Handicapping
Exotic Longshots (Stapled pages; free with any of the other Gandolfo pamphlets)
Hey Rive

I am pretty sure the 1st one is Nick Borg
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2020, 02:02 AM   #37
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
I never used Taulbot's slide ruler, but it looks like a cool gizmo that takes out a lot of guesswork.
Speaking of other handicapping paraphernalia, has anyone ever used the Mattel Horse Race Analyzer device? I still have mine in the original box with instructions. I found the explanation online of how the software works too. I paid $125 for it in 1980. Memories.
Last time I looked mine was up in the attic. It didn't make me rich.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #38
stewball1127
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivegauche610 View Post
Scott How Will Your Horse Run Today
(spiral bound)
Great book
stewball1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #39
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
There are 2 software versions of the Taulbot slide rule.

1-Amervar

2-Pace Calculator.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #40
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
I still have mine with the original instructions.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:58 PM   #41
Partsnut
BetMix User

A book that I would highly recommend would be "The Skeptical Handicapper" by Barry Meadows. It contains 445 pages of very insightful handicapping information and the data which was supplied by Ken Massa. Most of us are all familiar with his software and accomplishments. Both these gentleman who are formidable players. They are very knowledgeable, experienced and credible when it comes to horse racing. This book is a source that you can learn from. It is also an excellent reference.

Last edited by Partsnut; 04-15-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #42
thaskalos

I met an old Greek guy at an OTB some 20 years ago. Upon getting to know him better, I found out that he was a wealthy retired businessman with a passion for handicapping. He was a small bettor...and we remained friends for about 15 years, going to the OTB together many, many times. About 5 years ago I was told that he died at the age of 87...and shortly afterwards, I was contacted by his lawyer who told me that my newly-deceased friend "George" had remembered me in his will. Could I come to the lawyer's office and pick up a box...his attorney asked me. Since George was a man of considerable means, the box could have contained ANYTHING...so, I hastened to the lawyer's office to pick it up. Alas...the box was full of old handicapping systems, of the RPM variety...along with a Taulbot slide-rule calculator, in pristine condition. I got rid of the systems, but hung on to the pace calculator, as a reminder...
Old 04-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #43
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut View Post
A book that I would highly recommend would be "The Skeptical Handicapper" by Barry Meadows. It contains 445 pages of very insightful handicapping information and the data which was supplied by Ken Massa. Most of us are all familiar with his software and accomplishments. Both these gentleman who are formidable players. They are very knowledgeable, experienced and credible when it comes to horse racing. This book is a source that you can learn from. It is also an excellent reference.
Sounds like a good book Parts! I need a copy for reading during this virus
Old 05-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #44
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I met an old Greek guy at an OTB some 20 years ago. Upon getting to know him better, I found out that he was a wealthy retired businessman with a passion for handicapping. He was a small bettor...and we remained friends for about 15 years, going to the OTB together many, many times. About 5 years ago I was told that he died at the age of 87...and shortly afterwards, I was contacted by his lawyer who told me that my newly-deceased friend "George" had remembered me in his will. Could I come to the lawyer's office and pick up a box...his attorney asked me. Since George was a man of considerable means, the box could have contained ANYTHING...so, I hastened to the lawyer's office to pick it up. Alas...the box was full of old handicapping systems, of the RPM variety...along with a Taulbot slide-rule calculator, in pristine condition. I got rid of the systems, but hung on to the pace calculator, as a reminder...
That story reminds me of an episode from the Honeymooners. That’s when Ralph was notified that the little old lady that he was always so kind to when she rode the bus had passed away but left him in her will. When he went to the lawyer’s office he was told that the lady was very wealthy and had left him “Fortune”. It turned out that “Fortune” was the name of her favorite bird... Ralph’s before-and-after reaction was priceless!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #45
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
That story reminds me of an episode from the Honeymooners. That’s when Ralph was notified that the little old lady that he was always so kind to when she rode the bus had passed away but left him in her will. When he went to the lawyer’s office he was told that the lady was very wealthy and had left him “Fortune”. It turned out that “Fortune” was the name of her favorite bird... Ralph’s before-and-after reaction was priceless!
Classic Honeymooners episode. I remember it well.