Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #61
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
Who is Chuck Scarborough and why would anybody bother with him here? He must be some local NY guy that I (or anyone else outside of NY) have never heard of. I sorry if I mistakenly assumed that if somebody was talked about here, he must either be connected to racing or at least be known outside of NY. In other words, somebody relevant. It is mistake I will not make again. I now know that some some posters will get upset about what some nobody said on local TV, radio or a local paper.
As for the NYRA apologists, they are not that hard to identify. Dahoss, Tom, Pace, and you, just to name a few. Every time something uncomplimentary comes up with regard to NYRA, they are busy defending them. It doesn't matter if it is breakdowns, failing to reduce the take out or whatever. There is seems to be this core of posters who are always there for NYRA, no matter what.
For the record NYRA does a lot things right, but they have had some problems. Hopefully, they have them fixed. Horse racing needs a strong product coming out of NY.

If you really wanted to get your message across and it's factual here's the info on Chuck Scarborugh. The guy has won only 31 Emmy Awards lots of people outside of NYC know about him. Its funny that you can tell us about the weather here yet you call him a local guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Scarborough

Since you call me a NYRA apologist where did I post on here before your accusation? Please dig deep and find it maybe I need a stronger strength of prescription glasses. While were at it who defended your right to express yourself in the other thread. Go back and read what I stated which was "be careful of what you wish for". In fact a respected member on your side of the fence sent me a private message thanking me for his support to speak. Now that people are seeing what Cuomo's intentions were they really don't like it.

Quote:
Every time something uncomplimentary comes up with regard to NYRA, they are busy defending them.
Once again please go back to this and all the other NYRA threads and show me my defense each and EVERY time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foot.jpg (10.6 KB, 143 views)
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #62
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Grey
Oh, and the moderator of this thread is a hypocrite.
Another stellar contribution duly noted.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #63
Linny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Jones does appears to be a quality guy, but he should be a little more careful who he defends. If Graham Motion was questioned about cooked oats, Jones would have a point. But given Mr. O'Neil's history, I'd even inspect the hay before it was allowed in the barn.

Reading the article, I don't see him "defending" DON per se. He was stating that the regulator appears to want to tell horsemen what feeds they can use and how they can and cannot be prepared. The barn where I ride has 40 horses and about 12 different feeds. The needs of the horses and the trainer's opinion about how each horse should eat (varied by age, workload and health) determine what each is fed. If some regulator from the state stepped in to tell my trainer what she may feed and when and how she'd be mad about it too.

He has every right to defend DON's right to cook his oats. There was no reason to think DON was "cooking" anything into his oats. In fact Matz was the first to speak up and defend DON when the security staff gave him trouble. (Matz also cooks his horses food.) DON has never had an illegal substance show up. The idea that anyone who has ever had an overage or a positive needs to be given the rubber glove treatment any time he (or she) approaches a horse is insane. It doesn't do anything but arouse suspicion
and further the idea that "everyone is cheating." It's the racing equivalent of the TSA groping 70 year old nuns and 3yo handicapped children while claiming it's the only way to assure safety.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #64
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Reading the article, I don't see him "defending" DON per se. He was stating that the regulator appears to want to tell horsemen what feeds they can use and how they can and cannot be prepared. The barn where I ride has 40 horses and about 12 different feeds. The needs of the horses and the trainer's opinion about how each horse should eat (varied by age, workload and health) determine what each is fed. If some regulator from the state stepped in to tell my trainer what she may feed and when and how she'd be mad about it too.

He has every right to defend DON's right to cook his oats. There was no reason to think DON was "cooking" anything into his oats. In fact Matz was the first to speak up and defend DON when the security staff gave him trouble. (Matz also cooks his horses food.) DON has never had an illegal substance show up. The idea that anyone who has ever had an overage or a positive needs to be given the rubber glove treatment any time he (or she) approaches a horse is insane. It doesn't do anything but arouse suspicion
and further the idea that "everyone is cheating." It's the racing equivalent of the TSA groping 70 year old nuns and 3yo handicapped children while claiming it's the only way to assure safety.
First, I had to figure out who DON was...I get it: Doug O'Neil. In my mind, the defense was implicit, but I understand your point.

I thought he had three TCO2 violations, no? And numerous other drug overages, no? Perhaps the latter were all therapeutic drugs, but they would be illegal nonetheless if present in higher-than-acceptable levels.

Again, if it was Graham Motion cooking oats, I could understand other trainers coming to his defense. But not with DON!

Given DON's record, it isn't analogous to the TSA groping a nun in anyway, shape or form.

Last edited by Saratoga_Mike; 06-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #65
Pace Cap'n

Cooking oats. I've been around horses from an early age and followed horseracing for many years and this Belmont is the first time I've ever heard of cooking food for horses.

Does that mean that now we need to know which trainers are the better cooks? Are there any horse-feed chefs out there? How about horse caterers?

And most importantly, can we get a "C" and a "U" (cooked & uncooked food) in the DRF?
Pace Cap'n is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #66
Bullet Plane

I would say that Doug is a great saucier of "oats" par excellence. Man can those horses run!
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #67
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
First, I had to figure out who DON was...I get it: Doug O'Neil. In my mind, the defense was implicit, but I understand your point.

I thought he had three TCO2 violations, no? And numerous other drug overages, no? Perhaps the latter were all therapeutic drugs, but they would be illegal nonetheless if present in higher-than-acceptable levels.

Again, if it was Graham Motion cooking oats, I could understand other trainers coming to his defense. But not with DON!

Given DON's record, it isn't analogous to the TSA groping a nun in anyway, shape or form.
It is a bucket of boiling water. To cook oats in. I defend any trainer doing this to make digestion easier for his horses.

How long is this "nobody defend O'Neill on anything he does" policy of yours supposed to last?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #68
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
The NYRA apologists are out in force again this morning.

Boy, I am astonished; and I'm cynicism personified. I expected broader thinking from Spanish Fly and the Censor. What's next ? Maybe we're supposed to believe Larry Jones and any other dissenters are juicers, maybe ?

Well, all equally bad trainers would make it fairer. Wasn't this country founded on the principles of Life, Fairness and the Pursuit of Happiness ? Oops ...
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #69
Linny

^ Agree. The guy's had a bunch of overages. It's not like 75% of his runners came back positive. Probably not .75%. The odds that this guy was going to send a "juiced" horse out for the Triple Crown, with all the testing in NY, and all the pre-race rules and regs and the global media with eyes trained upon him is preposterous. I don't know DON, never met him. I have no reason to think he's a rocket scientist, but I doubt he's THAT stupid.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #70
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
It is a bucket of boiling water. To cook oats in. I defend any trainer doing this to make digestion easier for his horses.

How long is this "nobody defend O'Neill on anything he does" policy of yours supposed to last?
For awhile, I believe. I wouldn't want to put a precise date on it.

Last edited by Saratoga_Mike; 06-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply