Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:35 AM   #16
wolsons

huh?

Pasco, I assume you're also Lefthandlow -

I don't get it...

I posted 500 picks over a month and half period, and explained at the time exactly how I was using the software to make the selections - what POSSIBLE purpose would be served by my posting yet another card of plays? And (no offense intended, I know the software is not cheap), why would I want to bother doing that at the request of someone who has made clear that they're not going to purchase it in any case?

Steve
wolsons is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #17
pasco

power on line

To sell more software??LL

keep on grinding
pasco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #18
Kappa

Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by wolsons
Pasco, I assume you're also Lefthandlow .....
Oops! You gotta remember who you are posting as.....
Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #19
pasco

poweronline

I'm sorry about that my son also posts here and uses my computer

as he is moving so I used his by mistake..SORRY

don't worry I don't sell software...just a mistake..

keep on grinding
pasco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 03:03 PM   #20
Bob Allen
Rattlesnake Rancher

This is ridiculous!

Whomever,

I knew there had to be a real story behind Rferguson's post. Any quarter-way good handicapper would love this software - and, no, I'm not on commission.

I've posted two days which is nebulous at best to proving the software is good - Steve posted 500 races, even taking requests for tracks from some of you. And still, despite all that he posted a very nice 11% profit - did I forget to mention it was over 500 races on consecutive days and he took requests and still showed a nice profit?

Not only do I use Power-Online V5 but I also use EquiSim (don't leave home without it). I have no financial interest in either software other than the fact I paid the price. And I'm glad.

Steve detailed the way (read his posts) about how he was using the software that made an 11% profit over 500 races on consecutive days while also taking track requests from some of you. Show me someone else who has ever done that.

Currently I have a higher ROI with POL V5 but I am not using the same method Steve did. I'm a little contrarian so I don't follow all the rules.

Now, Rferguson might have a legitimate post but I doubt it seriously. In his post he says he has "lost a ton of money." Well to that I can only say, Bullshit! If he's lost a ton of money in two months then he must be one lousy ass handicapper or have expected the software to do everything for him. Besides if one just used the software in the most basic way possible, sort of like Steve did, there is the possibility he could have lost a few dollars but he sure as hell didn't "lose a ton of money." Since I do not have the word "impossible" in my dictionary (you can check, it's not in mine), I would say it's highly improbable that he used the software as intended and lost money. You would have to work real hard to lose money or be dyslexic in which case he should have had someone read him the numbers.

I challenge any other software developer to post 500 picks, take requests for tracks to handicap, post picks the night before the races and show at least an 11% profit.

Oh, there will be those who claim their software uses tote odds and they don't know who they are going to bet until the tote odds start coming in. Horseshit! Post your picks and let the cow patties fall where they may.

Bob
Proud User of Power-Online V5 and EquiSim.
Next time I'll tell you how I really feel about this.
Bob Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 03:21 PM   #21
Latin Qtr
Journeyman

Bob Allen

I don't know the Powerline System but picking 500 races was
the greatest test I've heard of. I posted that even 30 days
in a row would be a good test but instead there's this guy
selling a system with testimonials and won't pick 10 races.
I think no one should buy any system unless there's a decent
test with consecutive races. It's like buying a car without tires.
Latin Qtr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #22
csmith

I once again find myself in the role of defending a software developer ( Seller ). I think I am the person Steve is referring to in his post about a refund to a person that found the software incompatible with some other software on the computer.

In no way do I think it was Steve's software that caused me trouble, but the combination of some other software on my computer.

We all know this happens once in a while. Not all software is compatible.

Since I could not evaluate the software I just want to share my dealing with Mel, ( the programmer, I think ) and Steve.

I could not have found a more helpful human being than that of Mel. We tried to work through the problem but to no avail.

At the point where we decided to give up trying to get it to work with my computer, Mel told Steve that I should get a FULL refund ( no restocking charges ).

Steve's response was great. No problem and he CHEERFULLY refunded my money the next day.

As I said I didn't get a chance to find out how good the software is but I did find 2 truly great gentleman that deliver what they promise as far a a refund.

I have dellt with some ( not all ) software seller that could care less about your problems once they have your money..

I suggest if you are looking for some software with an iron clad guarantee what more could you ask for..

Oh one more thing. Both Steve and Mel apologized to ME for the inconvience that caused me. Can you belive that !!!!

Two top notch guys in my humble opinion..

Cliff
csmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 05:37 PM   #23
John

Bob, said it all,

I, like Bob, are finding many different ways to use POLSW. as I mention in an earlier post there is a learning curve to an software.As Steve said, on page 46 of the manual," There is a LOT to work with here,and there is no limit to the ways you can dissect a race and locate statistically [ or historically ] profitable plays. You can put this program on autopilot ,using the Black Box [ and do incredibly well!]or you can jump in with both feet.get really "hands-on ", and research your databases to your hearts content."...enough said.

POLSW has a Past Performance option, which will provide you with a concise view of any horses past performance.I like to look at that and avoid races where half or more of the entries are First Time Starters.

In sprints, a winner usually has run within the last 14 days or has had two workouts,and has been in-the- money in the last month.if not I will eliminate him [ scratch ]

In a route, I don't consider a horse that hasn't run within the last month,or is at least is one of the top 3 classiest horses in the race.

If POLSW has big consensus number on a horse. If that horse is stepping up in class and has never won at that class level,he is not a good bet and I would be wise to eliminate him.[ scratch him out ]

After I have done the above work.In a sprint and to a lesser degree in a route,POLSW does the rest[ the hard part ] if horse is consensus high number and odds lowest number and is picked in the Black Box. I bet. I have cashed from $3.40 to around $20.00. I don't think I will hit on higher prices because I have given POLSW the best contenders to look at.Will I get rich, NO,Will I stay out of the red,YES.

I would like to help Pasco/lefthandlow win with POLSW if he wants to e-mail me.

As Bob said,And I too, am proud to be part of the Power-line family.

John
Old 06-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #24
JimG

Heck, I'm not even a customer of Steve's and he sent me a sheet when I was on vacation in Florida for Tampa Bay Downs. Based on that, I would imagine his customer service is great.

As far as posting another day, Steve has already said that the method he posted his races can be duplicated if you have the software.

It's simple, you either believe him or not. If you believe him, then what's the point? If you do not believe him, what is one day, good or bad, going to prove at this point??

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #25
daylami

P.T. BARNUM

he said, "a sucker born every minute", there is no commercial software that has ever had a positive roi, none ever. it doesn't exist

and if one did the owner would be a fool to sell it because it soon would destroy itself based on all the users.

so speaketh daylami.....
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #26
LunaticFringe

Does this mean nobody knows...

where I might acquire Procaps files [and the associated Exotic Results files] for the period prior to 2004?
LunaticFringe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

TSN might sell older files. BRIS has an archives, so TSN probably does too.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:38 PM   #28
daylami

POWERLINE WEBSITE?

hi, what is the web address?
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #29
Maxspa

Powerline Responses!!

All,
In the beginning of this thread there were few responses. At one point I thought either the software was very good and people are making a profit while keeping quiet or it's not worth the effort to write a reaction. It took some controversy to get out the real reviews. First of all let me thank Bob Allen and Rocajack for writing extensive user reports on the Powerline product! This was my objective when I introduced the thread. I wanted to know handicapper's reactions in regard to this software and we were able to get two excellent, informative responses. Steve Wolson handled this situation with class, stayed quietly in the background and only responded when a P.A. member had a specific request for more program selections. In conclusion, there are in my opinion three reasons to purchase the software: Number one the extensive, profitable, daily, tests that Steve provided on this board before the races were run and under all race conditions(I've never seen this done on line), Secondly, positive P.A. member input on the excellent customer service provided by the Powerline staff. Third, the additions of the database for checking your own handicapping queries and the extension of the introductory price for P.A. members.
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #30
Secretariat

Re: POWERLINE WEBSITE?

Quote:
Originally posted by daylami
hi, what is the web address?
http://www.poweronlinesoftware.com/
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply