Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Channing Hill is starting to pick up some wins, didn't he used to be pretty good on the inner?
I'll get blasted for this, but I've always thought this guy was arguably one of the best jocks out there. I'm guessing most probably see a move to Hill as a negative in many if not most cases, yet I'm out in left field looking at it as one of the top six reasons to take a triple take at whatever horse he's taking over on.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #17
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I'll get blasted for this, but I've always thought this guy was arguably one of the best jocks out there. I'm guessing most probably see a move to Hill as a negative in many if not most cases, yet I'm out in left field looking at it as one of the top six reasons to take a triple take at whatever horse he's taking over on.
The key to riches (among other things) is figuring out which jocks are much better than the public gives them credit for. Channing Hill might be one of those jocks.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
turninforhome10

Quote:
We helped him get started when he was a bug in IA at Prairie Meadows. He had a great mentor in Glynn Bernis (my boss and mentor- Cajun jock) and the kid has a strong work ethic. Not sure who his agent is but they could do a better job marketing him.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Ernie Dahlman

boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Boom Towner!
Boom Towner was the first horse I owned in my partnership with Barry Schwartz. We did very well with him and he's the only racehorse Barry has ever retired on his beautiful farm. He loved Aqueduct because the rail is usually good and he always lugged in.
Ernie Dahlman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Dahlman
Boom Towner was the first horse I owned in my partnership with Barry Schwartz. We did very well with him and he's the only racehorse Barry has ever retired on his beautiful farm. He loved Aqueduct because the rail is usually good and he always lugged in.
Cool, I always loved that horse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Channing Hill is starting to pick up some wins, didn't he used to be pretty good on the inner?
Define "pretty good"? If doesn't fall off qualifies, then he was pretty good.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I knew it wouldn't be too long.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

I knew it wouldn't be too long.
Next time you bet Channing and he's got the lead you can yell DONT FALL OFF!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #24
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He's no Ramon, but he was similar to David Cohen who just came back to the Big "A". He breaks horses sharp for the lead, that's half the battle on the inner. A couple of wins for Pat Quick, isn't that considered next to impossible?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #25
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
He's no Ramon, but he was similar to David Cohen who just came back to the Big "A". He breaks horses sharp for the lead, that's half the battle on the inner. A couple of wins for Pat Quick, isn't that considered next to impossible?
I wouldn't say the jockey colony right now at the Big A is brimming with talent. Somebody has to win.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The key to riches (among other things) is figuring out which jocks are much better than the public gives them credit for. Channing Hill might be one of those jocks.
I'm not much into jock worship. I let it factor in when I see a horse that I think wants to run a certain way and there's a move to a guy that I think may be a better fit. To use your example in the thread next door about Colazeo or whatever his name is - horse looks like something of a one-dimensional but talented horse that has run most of his best races when he's been used to make the lead and gets brave. I really didn't pay much attention to the race so didn't have anything worth adding, but when I looked at the form, the chart, noted that the chart showed him with blinkers but the form didn't (nor did the EQB entries as an addition), and the form showed two works while making a rare third back off yet another break, I guess it just seemed somewhat logical that the barn might've drawn a similar conclusion that he was going pedal to the metal and everything went to plan.

To turn that into something resembling a point on this topic, cases like that are when I actually give any serious thought to jocks. A horse like that that's been packing a guy like Prado or someone around getting patient, traditionally desirable east coast type rides suddenly gets someone notoriously more aggressive and not overly concerned with auditioning for the camera, that's when it matters to me. Or vice versa. I'm trying to find a reason to play something that looks like crap in the form, and once in a while you get the sense that someone has perhaps given up thinking that they need to keep teaching some cheap snail to rate and make one run as though they're going to the Breeder's Cup after they get through this NYBRED16kMCL and I get a little boost of confidence when it's Hill up instead of someone "more polished". I've always kind of thought he had the wrong style for the most part to ride for a lot of those barns there that you'd want to ride for, but it seems like he's the type of jock that for that very reason would be somewhat in demand when the Boston Strangler to the three-sixteenth and then let everything lug into the rail approach isn't working with something in the barn.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If you turn up the volume real high and the Aqueduct replay show, you can actually hear the words, immediately following "They're Off!".....
"After you!"

Many poor riders, but a damned polite colony!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
If you turn up the volume real high and the Aqueduct replay show, you can actually hear the words, immediately following "They're Off!".....
"After you!"

Many poor riders, but a damned polite colony!
Ain't that the truth.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
MightBeSosa
Veteran

how good is Rudy?
better than that.
MightBeSosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #30
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote: