Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #286
douglasw32
douglasw32

Win/Place

R1... NITE LIGHT
R2... LA NEZ
R3... BLIND LUCK
R4... MARAM
R5... SEVENTH STREET
R6... CARELESS JEWEL

That is what I come up with.

Last edited by douglasw32; 11-05-2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Formatting
douglasw32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #287
douglasw32
douglasw32

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Either the data isn't available in the data file or Handifast doesn't use the fields that said data is stored in. If the PPs show no speed ratings then Handifast won't be able to process what is not there.

Cj's stuff is a whole 'nother animal. I could write a version that uses his figs but I would want his blessing/permission. And I would consider that a custom version rather than one for general release to the public.
Yes for this I get a copy of the racing form and take 15 points away from the Racing Post Rating they have... to compare the last 3 speeds.

Not perfect but ...
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #288
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
It's probably been posted somewhere in one of the Handifast threads but Handifast does not choose a paceline on which it bases its figs. It may use the last three or last five but doesn't select just one.
What good is that if most of the last 3 or 5 races are not relevant to today's race. You guys can do what you want with a program,but if there is no control over its output,the results are based more on randomness and luck of whatever appears in the last 3 to 5 races, including irrelevant or toss out races,rather than on a race that is more representative of where the horse is at today.

I handicapped a race at CD today and there was a horse who was off 2 years between his last start a month ago and his 2 back start. Your program is going to take several of his races from 2 years ago when he was 2yo and in one piece and use that as a representation of where he's at now? Good luck.

Just because you have the inability to program this very important feature into your program does not mean the program is somehow going to overcome it. That's why I'm not interested in trying it,even for free. How can you wager hard earned dough on such frivolous data.

Sorry to be so blunt,but its the pink elephant in your program and after so many reply's about it,I think this point is way overdue. Yes its very nice of you guys to do this work for free. But if its flawed, thanks, but no thanks.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #289
csmith

I don't get it. These guys do all this hard work and then share with the rest of us and all you can do is register a complaint !!! I don't understand people like you. I wonder why you had to share the fact that you don't even plan to try the program. Why don't YOU program the changes that YOU want....I just don't understand people like you
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #290
douglasw32
douglasw32

Hey Light-

I do not disagree with you, however the program I wrote was to show a horses ability in General (General meaning on Average)

I do not care about the individual horse and what he can do when properly placed. Plenty of programs that do that for me.

This is not a black box or an all in one program, but a tool among others.

I actually have trumpeted to anyone that would listen Raybo's (Also Free) spreadsheet that does allow you to filter anything you want including sartin type pace now.

But I begin and end with the horses that stand out in the categories I have in the program, and the (averages).

That 2 year old you were talking about at cd and the junk he was putting forth, would have been obvious looking at the actual form, I do not thin anyone uses this program to just blindly go with the horses the computer kicked out.
If they do I agree with you, that may be a little nuts....

However, it is not a lack of programming or anything of the sort, it is a choice that it does not "Fit" into this program the way it is designed.

And we never asked anyone to download it but many have.

It does not matter how you cash em as long as you do, and I have not herd anyone coming forth saying using the program has sent them to the poor house any faster than anything else they do if that is your concern.

It is there if they want it, but up to them how they use it.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #291
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
But if its flawed, thanks, but no thanks.
You are a real piece of...um..."work" aren't you. I would be willing to bet that with the exception of maiden races with a lot of first-timers, Handifast HHX will out-handicap you. But guys like you talk big, give nothing meaningful back to a good site like this, and are likely the biggest losing horseplayers here.

There are hundreds of members here, most of them not using FAST/Handifast for their own reasons and that's just fine with Doug, Handi, me, and the other users. But at least those people have the courtesy not to disparage something that they haven't even tried.

With all of the negativity that you incessantly spew out, you really need to change your handle to "Dark".
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #292
fight

go hewg

dont let him know fast is a good program. please
fight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #293
Roger
Veteran

Light,

If somebody gave me a new car and i didn't like the color, I certaintly wouldn't complain and bitch that the car was not good! I'd have it painted and be grateful that I got it....You got the same option..press the delete button if you don't like it. I could understand your point if you paid a few hundred bucks for the program and it didn't fit your expectations then mayby you would have a legitimate gripe. After all the time and effort these guy's put into this Program and then share it FREE with anyone who want's it, I would say to you...You got a lot of balls for complaining. My humble opinon! But I bet your still using it.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #294
Light
Veteran

You dont need to take offense. Doug gave a decent non combative answer that I can accept. You other 4 are missing the point.

I have a homemade program just like this,except the output categories are somewhat different.It has the ability for user choice of paceline or have the computer just use automatic PL's. I can tell you its night and day between the results.PL choice rules. I've been using this as my main form of handicapping since 2001 when in its inception it picked the huge Monarchos KD exacta cold. I've been hooked on it since.

So I'm just talking from 8 years experience having done what you guys just started. I only said what I said from experience with my own software. It's been in a state of evolution ever since it started. So I can relate to all the versions you have come up with and all the new things you want to add or delete. This discussion will never end in a quest to perfect your program.

Awhile back you guys asked for suggestions to your program. Do you just want pats on the back and sweet compliments or do you want something concrete? You can take my thoughts from experience as suggestions or offensively. Personally,I prefer someone criticizing my software because it will either expose its weakness and improve it or show it is already capable of the critique.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #295
the_fat_man
Veteran

Seems like Light must be missing THUMBS. Yet another one of the many THUMBLESS posters here on PA, who can't quite coordinate the SPACE after the COMMA. That typically would just be poor style, if not flat out rude. Of course, without THUMBS, it's much harder to do (hitting the space bar) and thus excusable. Then again, he does space after the periods. Must be one of those 'disorders', I suppose.

Last edited by the_fat_man; 11-06-2009 at 12:03 PM.
the_fat_man is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #296
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
You dont need to take offense. Doug gave a decent non combative answer that I can accept. You other 4 are missing the point.

I have a homemade program just like this,except the output categories are somewhat different.It has the ability for user choice of paceline or have the computer just use automatic PL's. I can tell you its night and day between the results.PL choice rules. I've been using this as my main form of handicapping since 2001 when in its inception it picked the huge Monarchos KD exacta cold. I've been hooked on it since.

So I'm just talking from 8 years experience having done what you guys just started. I only said what I said from experience with my own software. It's been in a state of evolution ever since it started. So I can relate to all the versions you have come up with and all the new things you want to add or delete. This discussion will never end in a quest to perfect your program.

Awhile back you guys asked for suggestions to your program. Do you just want pats on the back and sweet compliments or do you want something concrete? You can take my thoughts from experience as suggestions or offensively. Personally,I prefer someone criticizing my software because it will either expose its weakness and improve it or show it is already capable of the critique.
Have you made this program available for others to criticize?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #297
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Nope. We're not. Your "pick one paceline" method is equally flawed. I don't have time to discuss the reasons why right now. I will.

And personally I give a rat's ass to what you can accept. And if the mods deem my responses combative they can delete them.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #298
hracingplyr

Hey

Doug, Handi and hawg can we let this go. Just let him go and lets get back to where we were and that is talking about the method itself. Don't let him ruin this great thread we have going.

Bob
hracingplyr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #299
Roger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hracingplyr
Doug, Handi and hawg can we let this go. Just let him go and lets get back to where we were and that is talking about the method itself. Don't let him ruin this great thread we have going.

Bob
Amen ......Sorry guy's I couldn't help myself...apologies to all if my post offended or rubbed anybody the wrong way.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #300
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I personally welcome all suggestions and even criticisms given they are proffered in a positive way. But to put forth a view in a totally negative way does rub me the wrong way.

Now with that being said, I'm sure I can along with headHawg program just about anything we need too. But as Doug has said this program was designed in a specific way to do specific things. I believe they do that fairly well.

I congratulate anyone who has the skill to create their own program and be successful with it.

But for this program, I think that this thread speaks volumes for the quality of the program and all the people involved....creator, programmers and users. So let's keep going and see where we end up....and most of all, let's share and continue to grow the bond that has developed between all of us here!

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: