Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #16
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Don't let anyone tell you modern horses can't run often the way past champs did. The top ones don't run often because the breeding industry likes short careers, less starts, less losses, and higher winning percentages.
Doesn't seem all that long ago that Charismatic was 16(5-2-3) loading in the gate in the Belmont Stakes seeking the elusive Triple Crown.

The game has definitely changed. I wasn't a California Chrome fan, but it sure would be nice to have another 'lightly bred' winner like him to come along again.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2023, 02:26 PM   #17
BarchCapper

If they weren't so worried about win percentage (which the current state of the industry has forced many into) - trainers would run their horses instead of working them.

Since Lynn Cash is answering only to his wife Lola, he RUNS horses like Beverly Park. He is a true joy, and one of the nicest people going. I had the opportunity to chat with him when he ran a couple at Remington this season.

Last edited by BarchCapper; 01-01-2023 at 02:28 PM.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #18
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
If they weren't so worried about win percentage (which the current state of the industry has forced many into) - trainers would run their horses instead of working them.

Since Lynn Cash is answering only to his wife Lola, he RUNS horses like Beverly Park. He is a true joy, and one of the nicest people going. I had the opportunity to chat with him when he ran a couple at Remington this season.
You really think it is win percentage though?

The breeding numbers have dwindled greatly over the last several years. There aren't near as many horses as in the past, so if you have a good one you keep him/her healthy for the massive breeding money in the game.

I'm certainly no expert. Just a small time 'capper that simply wishes more horses would run.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #19
lamboguy

i think that NYRA doesn't allow horses to run that have reached the age of 10. this is a relatively new rule and i don't know if they use the actual horses birthday or they use January 1. i have been very lax in keeping up with all the rules everywhere lately.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2023, 05:56 PM   #20
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
You really think it is win percentage though?

The breeding numbers have dwindled greatly over the last several years. There aren't near as many horses as in the past, so if you have a good one you keep him/her healthy for the massive breeding money in the game.

I'm certainly no expert. Just a small time 'capper that simply wishes more horses would run.
Listen to some of the mid-level trainers (Ron Moquett is one I've heard this from) - and they will tell you that owners want to keep giving horses to the 20% guys. And those guys just hire more assistants and have bigger strings. When we were involved in ownership, we thought we were doing OK with a 12% guy/gal and really well with a 15% trainer.

Sure, field size has an effect, but take a look at some of your top guys. If they were entering where they were simply going to be competitive, they'd likely have a relatively even breakdown of W-P-S finishes. What you see instead is an increasingly heavy skew to the win end, where in some cases the 2nds and 3rds COMBINED are just barely more than the wins, and occasionally even less!!! They're ONLY entering when they have the best of it.
Old 01-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #21
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Doesn't seem all that long ago that Charismatic was 16(5-2-3) loading in the gate in the Belmont Stakes seeking the elusive Triple Crown.

The game has definitely changed. I wasn't a California Chrome fan, but it sure would be nice to have another 'lightly bred' winner like him to come along again.
Heck, there are even more recent classic winners-- Shackleford, Exaggerator, Street Sense, Curlin, War of Will (off the top of my head) who look like Forego compared to a lot of those going to stud within the past few years.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2023, 10:39 PM   #22
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i think that NYRA doesn't allow horses to run that have reached the age of 10. this is a relatively new rule and i don't know if they use the actual horses birthday or they use January 1. i have been very lax in keeping up with all the rules everywhere lately.
Went into effect with the Belmont spring meet in 2021. It's based on the "official" Jan 1 birthday, rather than foaling date.