Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #121
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkey View Post
The guild is not a union. It is elite prima donnas shafting the blue collar riders. Was the same back when I was riding. The guild is a joke.

They are embarrassed they are being proven wrong about whips and safety. They use safety as a excuse to not have to hand ride only.
Please elaborate your position on this....

Not the Guild's action but the use of the whip....

thxs
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 10:56 PM   #122
bitkey

I am loving the new rule at Monmouth. Riders are riding straighter and safer. If I was young and fit again,I would be there with bells on.

I do understand that bettors are used to seeing horses whipped so feel ripped off if beaten on a horse not whipped. But I care more about rider and horse safety than I do about bettors having to revamp their handicapping skills. There will always be a winner in a whipless race.
bitkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 11:09 PM   #123
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
I am loving the new rule at Monmouth. Riders are riding straighter and safer. If I was young and fit again,I would be there with bells on.

I do understand that bettors are used to seeing horses whipped so feel ripped off if beaten on a horse not whipped. But I care more about rider and horse safety than I do about bettors having to revamp their handicapping skills. There will always be a winner in a whipless race.
So you never used the whip?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:15 PM   #124
bitkey

I had to use a whip or be given days. I wish we had a track with rules like NJ when I was riding. On horses that didn’t like the whip,we had to fake hit to please the stewards. Different times back in the 80s and 90s.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #125
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
There will always be a winner in a whipless race.
I will not wager any sizable money, nor may others, at Monmouth until I see a large enough sample of races to determine the correct methodology for no whipping. BTW, jocks can for any reason pull up if they feel the horse starting to drift or bear out, leading to possible questionable rides. I trust no one.

I have no doubt that handle will suffer greatly, and may not save the sinking ship at Monmouth....This also will skew the read of these horses when they ship out to normal tracks.

Monmouth is simply a bad gamble.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 11:19 PM   #126
bitkey

If a horse is so out of control as to pose a safety issue,the riders should pull them up and take them to the outside to keep everyone safe. No whip will stop an unruly horse. Schooling is for mornings.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #127
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
I had to use a whip or be given days. I wish we had a track with rules like NJ when I was riding. On horses that didn’t like the whip,we had to fake hit to please the stewards. Different times back in the 80s and 90s.
Thank you for your answers....

What would be a good reason to use the whip?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:22 PM   #128
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

To Repeat

Jocks can, for any reason, pull up if they feel the horse starting to drift or bear out, leading to possible questionable rides. I trust no one.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:23 PM   #129
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
Thank you for your answers....

What would be a good reason to use the whip?
Stupid question...You sound like SRU....Wait...Is that YOU?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:23 PM   #130
bitkey

There is no need for whips in racing. Only time to use a whip is when teaching young horses manners to keep people safe. Schooling young horses or reschooling older horses should be done during training hours and not during a race.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:26 PM   #131
bitkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Jocks can, for any reason, pull up if they feel the horse starting to drift or bear out, leading to possible questionable rides. I trust no one.
Then they should have to give public statements about their riding decisions as they do in other countries. Would help with some of the wrong criticisms thrown at them when given bad instructions by trainers.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:28 PM   #132
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
There is no need for whips in racing. Only time to use a whip is when teaching young horses manners to keep people safe. Schooling young horses or reschooling older horses should be done during training hours and not during a race.
100% disagree...Don't care how long you've ridden....Nonsense.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #133
bitkey

As do many gamblers. Some just do not feel they are getting their moneys worth out of a ride unless the horse is whipped. I care about the riders and horses more than I care about gamblers having to learn new handicapping skills. I know a few who are killing it at Monmouth. They say it is easier to handicap. But they are all horsemen so can more easily understand the benefit to no whip capping.

Last edited by bitkey; 06-15-2021 at 11:34 PM. Reason: need to clean my screen ��
Old 06-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #134
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
So , what would be your thinking why Bravo and others boycotting?
Old 06-15-2021, 11:37 PM   #135
bitkey

They are not comfortable hand riding. Old dogs new tricks thing. Some people are good at adapting to change and some are not.