Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

XP to Windows 7

Spent most of the day playing with Win 7. Decided I like it a lot. Much faster than XP on my machine (32 to 64 bit change) and very stable. Only problem is that Microsoft doesn't provide a way to update XP to Win7. Only way they have is to format the hard disk and install from scratch. That could take a while and be very boring.

I found a program from Laplink called PC Mover that makes the process painless. You run PCM, install Win7, install and run PCM again and sit back and watch while it rebuilds your computer to just about how you had it before. Only one program wouldn't run (Microsoft's new security program, surprisingly enough) and all my old favorites were ready to go. I have a lot of trading software on my machine and it would be a bitch to replace.

They say that the price will be $30, but for now they are selling it for $15 if you download it. Put the download on a CD and it's easy to reinstall after the move. Highly recommended. Not sure how much longer the sale goes on, probably until the official release of Win7, but if you are thinking of making the change (and you should) any time in the future then grab of copy of PC Mover Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant.

Dick

In accordance with the prophecy.
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

I have used Laplink and it sounds like the product continues to maintain a high level of quality that I expect from Laplink.

I am not interested in W7 -- yet. I know there is not a direct path from XP to 7, as you said. However, could you not have migrated to Vista first before going to 7?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
However, could you not have migrated to Vista first before going to 7?
Probably, but... Any tech knows that a "clean" install is the best way to do things with regard to Windows. Upgrading to Vista and then to Win7 is not only more expensive (have to buy Vista as well) but now there would be two upgrades to foul things up instead of just one.

I have not used PC Mover but it sounds really useful. I will have to check it out.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
DJofSD
Screw PC

I have many PCs. All but one running Vista. And the one not running Vista will not be migrated to W7. I usually end up doing both a clean installation and a migration. For this next migration I plan to use my HP server running WHS to aid in the clean installation by backing up any end user data before hand then restoring it after W7 is running.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Dave Schwartz

I had an old copy of PC mover years ago and it worked just as you said, Dick.

I was not aware that Laplink had a comparable product, DJ. Does Laplink create all the registry entries of your installed software?

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

Registry settings and the such: No. LapLink is strictly for copying user data. Back in the day, it was about the only decent product for copying data from a desktop PC to your laptop. Early versions allowed you to use supplied cables that allowed you to use either a parallel port or a serial port. Then a USB cable and finally across a LAN connection.

I've been using MS SyncToy (yes, that's the name) for the last year or so. It's not anywhere as sophisticated as LL but I find it good enough and SyncToy is free.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Does W7 have drivers available?
That was a big thing with Vista.

I'll be looking hard at W7.....in about 3-5 years.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Registry settings and the such: No. LapLink is strictly for copying user data. Back in the day, it was about the only decent product for copying data from a desktop PC to your laptop.
That's the Laplink product (or whatever it is called now), not the PC Mover product from the Laplink company. PC Mover attempts to recreate all settings,user profiles, everything on the new machine...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
PC Mover attempts to recreate all settings,user profiles, everything on the new machine...
Wow that sounds like a pretty tall order...and it actually works? I'm surprised...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

Wow that sounds like a pretty tall order...and it actually works? I'm surprised...Yesterday 10:57 AM

It not only works, it works very well indeed. After two days, I've only found two things that don't work with Win7, both very old legacy programs. One a game written for Windows 1. I still haven't figured out how to go into any sort of DOS mode for my old TPR programs, but there is an XP emulator that will do the trick when I get around to it. The upgrade process was painless and took about an hour, most of it sitting and watching the various programs do their thing without any help from me. Transfered my favorites, e-mail addresses and setup, all other settings and profiles from the old XP system to Win7.

As I said, highly recomended.

Dick

"Don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?"
"Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."
Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
old TPR programs
Your mixing up a Sartin velocity program with old MS-DOS terminology <VBG>.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

DJ,

TSR vs TPR?

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
DJofSD
Screw PC

Bingo!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
NoDayJob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Does W7 have drivers available?
That was a big thing with Vista.

I'll be looking hard at W7.....in about 3-5 years.
Yep, just about in time for W7 service pack 201,000,000,000,000,000. That's SP 201 quadrillion.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

More about Windows 7

I still like it. People who are concerned about drivers, it has just about everything you can think of. Certainly everything made in the past 5 years. It even has a driver for my OLD (circa 1987) HP IIP that i still use as a backup. MS got it right this time.

Also downloaded and installed "XP Mode" from the MS website. Install a virtual machine and XP emulator (both free from MS) and you are right back using XP. A breeze to install and now I can run the two legacy programs that I couldn't run before. More to do with a 64 bit OS than Win7 I think. What do you expect from a program designed for Windows 1 and copyright in 1991? I also found a "C:" prompt in Win7. Guess I'm going to have to buy a book.

Dick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.