Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
DJofSD
Screw PC

TVG -- "newbie" question

I recently changed my TV provider and now have TVG. I saw on the schedule the races on Saturday including the Hollywood Gold Cup and scheduled it to be recorded.

Last night I decided to watch it. Fast forward is a wonder thing. Almost the same as a recap show. When I got to the 10th, I could not believe what I had on the DVR. Just as the horses were loading into the gate, they cut away for a commercial! WTF?!

After some other falderal, they played via tape delay the Hollywood Gold Cup. But it gets worse. Just at the top of the stretch, the recording on my DVR ended. It was the stop time for the program recording. Result was I didn't see the last 1/4 mile of the race. (And, yes, I know about programming DVRs, etc.).

Is this typical of TVG?

I am not impressed. With all of the competition and complications, I would expect a much better product than this. Racing seems to be in a competition for the bottom. Yuck!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
BillW
Comfortably Numb

They probably didn't have broadcast rights to the GC. Was it telecast on one of the "big" networks? (ESPN, ABC, NBC?). I didn't watch it, but this is my guess as it is normally the case.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
DarrenClarke

This race was broadcast live on espn2. Newbie, dont get too upset about this one, it is beyond TVG's control. Save it for other things, as you will find out that TVG's priority is talking heads not live racing.
DarrenClarke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
gIracing

most big races are covered by ESPN, ABC or NBC.. they will tell you if that is the case.
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
you will find out that TVG's priority is talking heads not live racing.
Darren - thanks for the heads up. Talking heads is interesting only up to a point. TVG, on first blush, goes way over that line -- at least for me.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It was on ESPN2.

And right now, :58 Flat is coming on , hosted by the worst TH in the world, so hello YouBet for the rest of the day.

Last edited by Tom; 07-01-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
TVG, on first blush, goes way over that line -- at least for me.
At second blush it gets worse. It might as well be MTV. The mute button is not enough when 58 flat comes on. Hey Tom, would you rather being doing life w/o parole or watching 58 flat?
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
And right now, :58 Flat is coming on , hosted by the worst TH in the world, so hello YouBet for the rest of the day.
That was the worst piece of programming I ever saw, not just on TVG, but on TV .... period.

The only balance I got out of it was that Matt Carothers was shoving a wiener in his mouth down his throat. That actually made some sense.

There is some fine talent on the network, but there are some egos in the mix that cause viewers to question why the tolerate the drivel.

Today's 58 Flat was simply pathetic.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
The only balance I got out of it was that Matt Carothers was shoving a wiener in his mouth down his throat. That actually made some sense.
Now that’s a visual I never thought my brain would have…

Carry on indeed!!!

BTW: If the slightly over bet IMHO 4/5 #4 loses in the 2nd leg of this pick-6 at Hollywood, you’re going to have the whole country checking their backup tickets!!!
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
xciceroguy

I dunno.....I kinda like 58 flat

xciceroguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #11
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by xciceroguy
Then you must have LOVED today's Hot Dog Eating Contest! Proof positive that Matt Carothers is a cannibal. (An animal that feeds on his own species)

By his own admission, Matt Carothers is prone to hyperbole. How can you take anything he says seriously? I honestly believe his schtick is all an act though, to make the viewer dislike him, and therefore cause them to watch him more. I bet he is a really nice guy that has Carte Blanche to act the arrogant fool.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck
Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
pressman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xciceroguy
I too enjoy 58 flat You cant take Carrothers too seriously He trys to bring some "fun" into handicapping and the whole racetrack experience.
pressman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressman
I too enjoy 58 flat You cant take Carrothers too seriously He trys to bring some "fun" into handicapping and the whole racetrack experience.
I think xciceroguy was lying....

Interesting perspective, and one I agree with entirely, which is why Matt Carothers 58 Flat should be aired at midnight. The key words here are..."He trys." He tries WAY too hard, and usually comes up woefully flat. His perspective isn't one that racing fans can readily relate to. Consider his audience. I think Matt's biggest fan, other than ToddTonTV, is Matt Carothers.

"Fun" into handicapping???? I have never heard a guy whine more than him. For me, his on-set persona has a similar effect as chewing on tin foil.

To utilize the phrase that he "loves" to use ad nauseum.....58 Flat is diseased.

Andy Beyer said it best...."Matt Carothers is diligent and articulate." That about sums it up.

I do repeat my caveat though, as he is probably a great husband, a wonderful father, and a friend to those that know him best, but when it comes to his performance at TVG, there is a reason that a square of cardboard should be placed under his chair on set.......because Matt Carothers looks better on paper.

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck
Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
richrosa

Is this the 1000th "lets knock TVG" thread?
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrosa
Is this the 1000th "lets knock TVG" thread?
Allow me to say that I am a BIG TVG fan! I have the network on about 15 hours a day. I do have issues with some programming, but only because I have perspectives on how the product could be improved. I apologize if I come off as bashing "TVG." It simply isn't the case.

Maybe familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe I should turn the channel once in awhile. I just think horseracing is the most interesting thing on television. Sometimes the analysts on TVG lose sight of this fact, and think that they are the entertainment. The truth is this.... they are there to set the table. There are some powerful egos at play sometimes, and they make me appreciate the core of the crew even more.

If I were Tony Allevato, I would put Rich Perloff in charge. Now there is a guy that just "gets it."

Carry on, Carry on,

Hajck