Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Big Russ

NHC Las Vegas

I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow for the upcoming NHC at Treasure Island. Although my expectations are about zero, I'll give it my best shot. Not sure if anyone else from the forum has qualified, but best of luck to any who have! This is my first time, and I'm not a contest player. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and have fun.
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Russ
I'm heading to Vegas tomorrow for the upcoming NHC at Treasure Island. Although my expectations are about zero, I'll give it my best shot. Not sure if anyone else from the forum has qualified, but best of luck to any who have! This is my first time, and I'm not a contest player. I'm just going to enjoy the ride and have fun.
Best of luck, man!
Stick to what you do best and you could win it all
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Good luck. May the horse be with you!
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
parlay

im in as well, qualified this past saturday. Will be there thursday afternoon. this is my second trip, got smoked the first time. my advice is to attack this in your usual manner, this is not the time to try new tricks. dont get discouraged if you fire blanks early, 30 plays over the first 2 days gives you lots of opportunity to scratch your way up. good luck
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #5
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Good luck at the NHC to Big Russ, Parlay and Paul Matties.......Hit a CAP horse early and go Wire-to-Wire!....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Good luck guys.

What are the days of the tournament and what are the tracks you can play? the reason i ask is that we can use this thread to post some picks and thoughts on some of these offbeat tracks, its hard to keep your head totally focused there and notice everything thats going on at every track, if something gets said on an in house broadcast, or if someone gets interviewed on tvg and has a good nugget, maybe we can use this thread to post up some stuff to help you guys out.

Keeping this as a running NHC thread might be a fun "follow along". The one thing i know about these tournaments is that what ends up happening, i know this has happened to me personally, is that you get near the end and you have too many bets left........and then you end up betting on crap that you dont really want to play because you didnt space it out correctly. At 30 picks you have many more than you think so don't be afraid to get involved early and start using your picks if you see something good.

One of my past mistakes is being too conservative early and skipping over stuff that was probably worth playing while waiting for that "perfect situation" and it just ends up getting you with too many picks left with not enough really good opportunities to use them.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
Big Russ

Thanks to all for the good wishes/advice.

The days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and it's the same 7 tracks each day. AQU, GP, TAM, OP, FG, GG, SA.
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

The days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and it's the same 7 tracks each day. AQU, GP, TAM, OP, FG, GG, SA.
Cool.

I'll take a look at the SA and GG for the weekend and see if i can post up some live horses who are 10-1 ML or higher for consumption. Go get em Russ.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Good luck Russ!

Give us an update here and there if you can...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Good luck guys.

I know this has happened to me personally, is that you get near the end and you have too many bets left........and then you end up betting on crap that you dont really want to play because you didnt space it out correctly. At 30 picks you have many more than you think so don't be afraid to get involved early and start using your picks if you see something good.

One of my past mistakes is being too conservative early and skipping over stuff that was probably worth playing while waiting for that "perfect situation" and it just ends up getting you with too many picks left with not enough really good opportunities to use them.
I think the HTR guys use the opposite philosophy. They save their picks for later without getting too much involved early.

Of course it also goes without saying that you have to play long shots.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
cnollfan

Good luck, co-competitors. I have qualified, second time. First time finished well beaten.

The seven optional races will obviously be reserved for my seven best longshots of the day. I have no qualms about firing early if I like a horse at a price, but seven optional picks total for seven tracks is not all that many -- an average of one race per track. As for the eight mandatory races, it's always a debate between chasing a price and picking the likely winner. Open to suggestions on that front.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
cnollfan

Quote:

The top 50 players after Saturday make the cut for Sunday, otherwise it's the consolation bracket.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
agameofskill

I'm in as well. Hopefully 12th time is the charm
agameofskill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
SpotPlays

TI offering a wager on the players. lol

http://www.ntra.com/en/news-media/pr...-on-nhc-champ/
SpotPlays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Stoleitbreezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotPlays
TI offering a wager on the players. lol

http://www.ntra.com/en/news-media/pr...-on-nhc-champ/
Interesting. What are the players names on the board that are going?
Stoleitbreezing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply