Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 AM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Yeah, I know that your an inner here.
Really? That's news to me...I remember butting heads with Turfday more than a few times and taking down a couple of posts. Hardly the stuff of "inners" if you ask me....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2007, 04:46 AM   #32
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIracing

The host are more personable, they don't shove Pick 3's, 4's and 6's down your thoat, they don't spend half the time talking about how lucky you are to be watching TVG.. They don't keep making me think i'm attracted to christina oliveras when I'm not. they just show horse racing, tell you what they think, if you like it, great, if not, fine. Then they show the race.
Well, it does sound marginally better than TVG. I would much prefer straight simulcast feeds, but unfortunately that is no longer possible in the US.

On Air personalities are an infestation. I watch racing coverage to see the horses, not to listen to bozo's tell me what they think about the races or the bets they are going to make. I gave up FM radio because of on air perdonalities. Recently, satellite radio has become just as bad. Its the music folks. Its the horse racing. Maybe what the tracks need to increase live attendance is a bunch of bozos running around the track to entertain the crowd.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #33
ranchwest

I get this image of a clown peering over someone's PPs.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #34
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest
I get this image of a clown peering over someone's PPs.
I'd say that's a pretty good description of TVG's on air personalities.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #35
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
I'd say that's a pretty good description of TVG's on air personalities.
Jeez man....ya'll are laying it on a little thick regarding TVG. I watch it almost every single day, and there's no way they deserve the gang-banging they've gotten here recently....

It doesn't matter who they put on the screen or how they fill the time...everyone's a critic, and nothing is going to satisfy everyone's tastes.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #36
socantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
It doesn't matter who they put on the screen or how they fill the time...everyone's a critic, and nothing is going to satisfy everyone's tastes.
You're right, It doesn't matter who they put on. The people at TVG seem to be as pleasant a gtoup of bozo's as you would find anywhere. I have not said anything bad about any single individual.

The point is, they are unneccesary and extraneous. Does it seem unreasonable to assume that most of their audience are racing fans and are there to watch racing? Why not show racing, post parades, saddling in the paddock and all the other things that go with horse racing, rather than endless banter from people who suddenly think they are entertainers.

Obviously, they can't show everything on one channel, but they could show much, much more than they are showing now. While you are watching nearly every day, try counting the number of minutes each hour devoted to acrual events at the racetrack as opposed to snappy patter from people sitting in the studio.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I can put up with "snappy pratter" but Matt C. is just absoluting too annyoing to listen to for even a half a minute. He comes on, I go to HRTV and my betting dollars go what they are showing. MC is just unfit for public.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #38
BadaBing

What I do not like is how both networks make the west coast their primary focus all the time.If they were operating out of somewhere else besides southern california it might help them improve.They should be home based in Kentucky or New York.
BadaBing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #39
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyreb
Please Jon White has the personality of a wooden Indian.
I love Jon White, but I also get a real kick out of Todd Shrup. So maybe media critic is not in my future.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
GaryG
Unreconstructed

With Jon, just pay attention to what he has to say. If I want to be entertained I will find a Chevy Chase movie.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #41
richrosa

When TVG and HRTV are gone from the air, I bet we'll all miss them regardless of their personality. In many markets its the only way to get consistent live over the air racing, despite the commentary.

Neither are operating profitably. No one operates at a loss forever.
richrosa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #42
gonatas

If you ask me (and I know you didin't) HRTV is a little too corporate. Its like an extended handicapping segment from a race track's closed circuit show between races. TVG is simply more entertaining, its more like spending some time at the track with people you might want to hang out with.

TVG isn't always so politically correct either. They will comment when a horse looks like crap in the paddock and at time they will even step up with an interview of a trainer before a race that can be helpful in telling you who you might want to avoid in a coming race.

TVG does play to novices and beginners more, but hard core guys are going to be doing their own handicapping anyway.
gonatas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #43
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonatas
TVG is simply more entertaining, its more like spending some time at the track with people you might want to hang out with.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #44
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
Why not show racing, post parades, saddling in the paddock and all the other things that go with horse racing, rather than endless banter from people who suddenly think they are entertainers.
They do show those things from certain tracks (like Belmont). It's a balancing act, and a certain segment of the audience is going to be disappointed with the coverage at any given point in time.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:10 AM   #45
gIracing

you will see all the post parades you want in about 6 months on TVG
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply