Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
GameTheory

I like to hear the fractions if they are especially fast or slow. I like the philosophy of calling "expectations vs reality" -- expectations are apparent by the tote board and also the running styles. So I want to know what the favorite is doing even if he is losing. If a supposed front-runner is not in front, I want a comment about that, etc. In other words don't call the race in a vacuum, but call it with "the way it was supposed to go" in mind...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #17
eastie
Double Secret Probation

sayings

i like when announcers have plenty of schtick. lots of cool sayings and alike. also when they use the hosses name in a punny or funny way. Catch phrases are awesome. i can yell. "now they're all in" at any track around if I need to talk to someone from Boston. This makes the memorable calls. Usually they're in the Big races, but sometimes other calls can stay with you. Red dOg and red neck, red neck and red dog, reed dog and red neck, red neck and red dog, and it's Red Neck !

or And its achenar and padonia, padonia and achenar, etc...
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

I would recommend you work on your accents. Try Australian. Everyone says "and they're off." It's very 1990s. Try yelling "Racing" at the start of the race.

Then it gets a little tricky, because the horses are actually moving. Shift into a bit of a southern drawl and say "for the lead," preferably a bit drawn out. Milk this for at least an eighth of a mile.

If it's a race that starts in front of the stands, mention that the field is "passing beneath the twin spires for the first time." Not every track has twin spires, so check the media guide.

If it's a sprint, tell them "there's a scramble on early." If it's a walkover, this becomes optional.

In the second furlong, fans are going to expect to hear names of horses, and this is where you start to earn your paycheck. Give them names, preferably of horses actually in the race and in their current positional order.

If that seems daunting at first, find the leader. If you can't tell through your binoculars, check the television! Mention facts like the name of the jockey and what colors he is wearing. For example, "Con Errico has Zippy Chippy, in the orange jumpsuit with the prison identification number, on an easy lead."

If you're comfortable with a South African accent, add "out here" whenever you feel like it, either before or after a sentence. This will not work with the southern drawl.

You may want to offer the opening fraction, which should be the first quarter of a mile. At some facilities, this is a crapshoot, but if it does get posted, by all means relay that information. If your track posts time in hundredths of a second, you must convert to fifths. An introductory math course at a local community college is a worthwhile investment to assist with this.

If you ever call harness races, you may feel obligated to actually break down the fractions by quarters. For example, if the first quarter was :28 2/5, and the half mile was :57 3/5, you would have to subtract :28 2/5 from :57 3/5. Only Rainman could actually do this, so just yell out that the second quarter went in anything from 27 to 29 seconds. It sounds better if you add x/5ths to it.

Another way to impress people is to calculate the distance from the last horse to the first horse. For example, "Forego is racing eighth" sounds a bit blah. Tell them that "Forego is eighth, 19 3/4 lengths off the lead." If you are pretty sure the horse is off the camera, don't waste time guessing accurately. Realistically, they aren't paying you enough to do that.

The stretch run is your bread and butter. Rhyming is fun. Try something like "there's a quarter to go at Pimlico," but it's more effective if you insert the name of the track you're actually at. That information is usually located on the front of the program.

Other stretch run catch phrases you might try are things like "and down the stretch they come" or "here they come into the short stretch of the mile run." Don't be shy...combine them! Feel free to use, "Down the short stretch of the mile run they come!" You'll sound like a seasoned professional in no time.

Be original. If a horse has a big lead, say he's moving like a tremendous machine. Why not pretend there's an earthquake in the middle of a call? This can really spice up a blah Wednesday afternoon. Keep people guessing. At the half mile pole of a dirt sprint, throw in something like "they're at the fifth of 12 fences." It keeps the fans on their toes, and makes thing more interesting for you.

I can offer you more advice, but some things you need to learn via experience. Hopefully this gives you a good start. All the best with your career!

Last edited by devilsbag; 09-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #19
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Brilliant stuff!!!!!
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #20
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag
Other stretch run catch phrases you might try are things like "and down the stretch they come" or "here they come into the short stretch of the mile run." Don't be shy...combine them! Feel free to use, "Down the short stretch of the mile run they come!" You'll sound like a seasoned professional in no time.
Nice piece.

Throw in "let's see..."
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
DigitalDownsJoe

Excellent ideas and comments. Thank you to all of you who were kind enough to offer a helping hand. I am going to study tapes and try and work on my flow and vocabulary..All of your ideas were great, and I think alittle bit of professionalism and some fun thrown in the mix will do just fine for me

digitaldowns.us virtual horse racing
DigitalDownsJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #22
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Then don't read it...Jeez!
You are not the only person on here. This is not a monolithic forum.
'Nuff said to you. No response required.
Humor.

Get some.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Humor.

Get some.
Wait...you were trying to be funny?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #24
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Wait...you were trying to be funny?
Crazy, ain't it?
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
call it "the way it was supposed to go"
Trevor, is that you?
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
usedtolovetvg

Don't get excited unless there is something to get excited about. The call loses its impact when the announcer is screaming as soon as the gate opens. I think a lot of the callers overseas start slow and pick up the pace and really get the adrenalin flowing when they come down the stretch. Of course, if there isn't a close finish, there's no sense carrying on like there is. Each race will have its only tale worth telling. The way you tell the story will keep us interested, be it the race, the horse, the jockey, trainer or owner. The good ones keep us involved and entertained even when our horse is up the track.
usedtolovetvg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #27
Robert Fischer
clean money

just a thought

a lot of entertainers, public speakers, comedians, radio men etc...

look to their idols within the field or the masters and they imitate them for practice.

not to copy a style, but some of these guys are good

and then you build your own style
Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
eastie
Double Secret Probation

they've got a lonnnnnggggggg way to go

they should really require the announcers to bet heavily with their own money, and then call the race paying careful attention to whom they bet. Then give a big enthusiastic call if they bet on the winner.....And you can put a ring around Settoncourse....
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #29
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
they should really require the announcers to bet heavily with their own money, and then call the race paying careful attention to whom they bet. Then give a big enthusiastic call if they bet on the winner.....And you can put a ring around Settoncourse....
I did all of that. Except the "bet on the winner" part.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #30
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by turninforhome10
Guy is trying to better himself. Give him something positive

Old Timey race calls- Dr. Fager's Historic World Record Mile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVBNbmcaAE
Craig Ingram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1WO...eature=related
Marshall Cassidy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XT0R...eature=related

Best call when you don't know how to pronounce a name- (look how young Durkin looks) http://www.youtube.com/watchv=hwhcS1...eature=related

My favorite race caller the late great Luke Kruytbosch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrtl...eature=related

Best Call of everyone- Mirahamdi does it best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FAFw...eature=related

Best of all the calls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QflX...eature=related

Hope this helps. I don't know very many of the old ones, but Luke Kruytbosch was my favorite. Loosing Luke was too soon for all of us.

You did not just serve up Craig Ingram as an exemplary racecaller ... didja ?

If he's gonna take announcing lessons, he ...

better get busy !!!

Hakuna matata. It means "no offers."
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply