Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Pace Advantage Toga Party Part XII

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Official Toga Party X Thread

Now that I've recovered from the Belmont sufficiently it is time to get the party rolling. For those that haven't been playing along....

This year's dates are Saturday, August 11 through Sunday August 19. There is racing on every day in that span but Tuesday the 14th, which is dark as usual.

We will be located in the Festival Tent most days, but on Wednesday August 15 and Thursday August 16 we will need to relocate to the Big Red Spring tent, which is right next to the Big Red Spring. Don't drink the water. Trust me. We had to do this one day last year and it worked great so I anticipate no issues.

Some highlights.

Though it is the day before the get together, Hall of Fame Day is Friday, August 10

The hotly debated Pilsner Glass will be the giveaway on Sunday, August 19th

The less hotly debated Picnic Mat will be the giveaway on Sunday, August 12th

Be aware that they are holding Fabulous Fillies Day is on Friday August 17th. Your concerns last year about the pink saddlecloths were passed on, but be prepared as last I heard they were going to do this again.

As usual, Ted Craven's group will be with us that last weekend. If Barb tips you on a horse for God's sake listen to her!

And most important of all, the special Pace Advantage Toga Party X is being held on Saturday the 18th as PA noted in the other thread.

As for me and my annual coverage of the event, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had more vacation time than I thought I did, so I plan to be up there most weekends again plus several days during the week.

As usual I'll give some picks (though given my latest luck you may want to ignore them....), talk about the scene in general, and of course visit and report on some new restaurants. This year's special food mission is "Who makes the best pizza in Saratoga". A fairly large Italian population settled around Saratoga, so this will be a bit of a challenge. The only place definitely on the list is Max London's which hopefully still has the clam topped pizza on the menu. Anyone else has some favorites out there, let me know.

So let's get ready for a fun summer. Can't believe I'll be up there for open house in only 2 1/2 weeks!

Everyone planning on coming, post here also what dates you expect to be there so we all know the whos and the whens.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Mr Saratoga

Al, I used to absolutely love the open house day when I lived in the area.
For now I'll see you at the tent.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
andicap

I havent booked a motel yet, but I'm still hoping on coming up for a couple or three days at week's end. Fri-Sat, definitely if I come -- the Sunday afternoon drive home downstate on a holiday weekend can be a real bitch.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap
I havent booked a motel yet, but I'm still hoping on coming up for a couple or three days at week's end. Fri-Sat, definitely if I come -- the Sunday afternoon drive home downstate on a holiday weekend can be a real bitch.
that drive is a killer, but you can go to the WISHING WELL RESTAURANT, they have the best tomato's and corn. and leave around 11:00 p.m. and the traffic will be a little less.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I plan on Fri-Sat, 17th & 18th.
That means I'll arrive on Tuesday, and start hiking over from the parking lot.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Overlay

I'm planning on being at the track Wednesday through Friday (15th-17th). (Sorry for not making either weekend, but my wife and I are driving up and back from Alabama.) We have reservations for Tuesday through Friday nights in Schenectady, and we'll be meeting our son, who will be coming down from Boston by bus on Thursday the 16th. Then we'll be driving him down to DC on Saturday to where he'll be staying during the coming year while he's working on a fellowship there, and we'll head back to Alabama on Sunday or Monday.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I have realized that I should have also explained how the ticketing works. For whatever reason, the admissions and the seating have always been separate fees. So you pay at the gate to get in. Grandstand is $3. Then when you find us at the Festival Tent (back right corner) or Big Red Spring, depending on the day, I have the tickets for that, which are $5. Hope this clears up any confusion for anyone that will be new to the track.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Red Knave
dGnr8

I'm booked Wed through Sunday staying down near the airport/SUNY area.

How many more sleeps?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yes, there will be free food and drink (soda) on Saturday the 18th, along with a special, limited edition, commemorative giveaway sublimated jersey, that, trust me, is VERY nice...

I still haven't decided how I'm going to give these away...thinking of holding a "Private Message Race" where those who know they're going to be there Saturday will PM me to reserve their giveaway...first PM, first serve, with preference given to those who have been "regulars" at the Toga Parties over the years...

There will be less than 50 of these jerseys given away, in various sizes.

They are being produced by our own Jay Trotter and feature the photography of our own Jason Moran.

Here's an example of a jersey Trotter did for Assiniboia Downs:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jersey.jpg (36.3 KB, 430 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
lamboguy

those jersey's look so sharp, i think i am going to show up just for that reason alone!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yes, there will be free food and drink (soda) on Saturday the 18th, along with a special, limited edition, commemorative giveaway sublimated jersey, that, trust me, is VERY nice...

I still haven't decided how I'm going to give these away...thinking of holding a "Private Message Race" where those who know they're going to be there Saturday will PM me to reserve their giveaway...first PM, first serve, with preference given to those who have been "regulars" at the Toga Parties over the years...

There will be less than 50 of these jerseys given away, in various sizes.

They are being produced by our own Jay Trotter and feature the photography of our own Jason Moran.

Here's an example of a jersey Trotter did for Assiniboia Downs:

Waaay Cool... uhhh... especially if they're sized appropriately!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
Storm Cadet

I will be staying with Suff by Nelson Ave
Old 07-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
badcompany

I'll be there the whole week except Sunday. In addition to the tickets, you have a round on me for the hard work.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Checking In

I'll be there Wednesday (08/15) thru Saturday (08/19).
Old 07-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
joeyp

i will be coming up on the 13th and be there at least a week maybe two

those jerseys are awesome and i would love to have one size 2xl lol

see you guys there

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: