Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Estimate of Zenyatta's Chances to win 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic
5% or less 8 6.78%
6-12% 5 4.24%
13-18% 12 10.17%
19-25% 20 16.95%
26-32% 16 13.56%
33-40% 16 13.56%
41-49% 5 4.24%
50% or better 36 30.51%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Pick6

What are Zenyatta's chances of winning 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic?

We are now 24 days away from the big race. Of course any estimates on Zenyatta's chances of winning will get better as we get closer to the race.
Pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
thaskalos

The mile and a quarter distance is the deciding factor, IMO.

If the race were to be run 100 times - against the expected starting lineup - I have Zenyatta winning 36 times.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
horses4courses

Fair assessment

On race day, Zenyatta will probably be no higher than 2-1 odds - maybe as low as even money. That does not reflect her chances of winning the race, as those odds, on average, would give her somewhere around a 40% chance of victory.

Realistically, her chances of winning are closer to twice those odds, assuming a full field of top quality dirt horses. Now I'm not saying she's going to get beat - she has amazed me so many times before - but she is going to be a lousy bet.

Luckily enough, I will be in Ireland next week, and I may take some of the 4-1 fixed odds available in the bookies futures over there.

There is no way on earth that Zenyatta will be 4-1 on Nov 6th.........
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Valuist

No way she could be 4-1? Who has she beaten on real dirt? She's never run against the likes of a Blame or Quality Road on real dirt. Throw in several good 3YOs and a full field and she almost HAS to be no lower than that. I give her about a 15% chance of winning.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
No way she could be 4-1? Who has she beaten on real dirt? She's never run against the likes of a Blame or Quality Road on real dirt. Throw in several good 3YOs and a full field and she almost HAS to be no lower than that. I give her about a 15% chance of winning.
I'll send you $1000 on Nov 7th if she goes off in the BCC at 4-1, or higher.

The odds she will be at post time will not reflect her chances of winning.

Last edited by horses4courses; 10-13-2010 at 11:01 PM.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
keithw84

Remove Zenyatta from the equation, and I think many people would agree or at least have similar ideas of the chances of the others in this field. Throw in Zenyatta, and the opinions are all over the place because of the knowledge that we do have and the knowledge that we don't have. I think 4-1 sounds about right.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
cpitt84

Quote:

she will win and i hope to see your response after it.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
letswastemoney

Quote:
The odds won't reflect your opinion. It will reflect who the most popular horse is.

Only one horse is popular enough that Breeders Cup decided to make her a website. With that kind of popularity, hard to believe she'll be higher than 4-1.

I'm going with the public making her 2-1.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
Valuist

You guys (or women) are giving way too much credit to the Zenyatta fan club bettors with their $2 tickets. The big bettors won't touch her for that very reason (among others). Outside of California, nobody in the general public has any idea who she is. Yes, I wish racing was more popular also, but to Joe Public, unless they've won or run well in the Derby, Preakness or Belmont, they aren't known.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
letswastemoney

Quote:
You guys (or women) are giving way too much credit to the Zenyatta fan club bettors with their $2 tickets. The big bettors won't touch her for that very reason (among others). Outside of California, nobody in the general public has any idea who she is. Yes, I wish racing was more popular also, but to Joe Public, unless they've won or run well in the Derby, Preakness or Belmont, they aren't known.
lol she was the 5-2 favorite last year. You have a very strange view of what her odds will be.

It's not like California will be shut out from betting this race this year just because it's at Churchill. Everyone will be betting the BC. She's already being compared to Secretariat.

A few people on this forum even believe she's as good as Secretariat.

I don't like Zenyatta's handling or her connections. But I don't doubt her popularity. People will be betting her as if she is Secretariat.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitt84
she will win and i hope to see your response after it.
Why you gots to go and make it all personal like that?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
cpitt84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Why you gots to go and make it all personal like that?
I am geniunely curious on his/her reaction to Zenyatta's win. That's all.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitt84
I am geniunely curious on his/her reaction to Zenyatta's win. That's all.
Speaking of absolute, 110% curiosity: What if a reaction looked something like, "Wow! What a great race, and so unexpected! She's extraordinary! Damn shame we didn't see her do so much more in all the non-Breeder's Cup parts!"

Honestly: do you *personally* find the above comment reasonable? Is it a fair reaction? Or is it somehow unfair to recognize ability, but to critique a campaign (a campaign that perhaps framed that ability in a certain way)?
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassProf
Speaking of absolute, 110% curiosity: What if a reaction looked something like, "Wow! What a great race, and so unexpected! She's extraordinary! Damn shame we didn't see her do so much more in all the non-Breeder's Cup parts!"

Honestly: do you *personally* find the above comment reasonable? Is it a fair reaction? Or is it somehow unfair to recognize ability, but to critique a campaign (a campaign that perhaps framed that ability in a certain way)?
Yes professor...this IS a fair reaction.

But it is a lot more impressive (not to mention a lot more profitable), to recognize ability BEFORE the race, rather than after the fact.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #15
depalma113

Quote:
Everyone betting the Breeders Cup knows who she is. The casual bettor is going to see 19-0 and it simply won't matter to them where she earned that record. Undefeated is undefeated.

Besides there are an awful lot of big bettors who aren't as skeptical as you want to believe.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply