Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Bubbles
Frontrunner

Andre Dawson???

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...awsoan01.shtml

If this guy wasn't a Hall of Famer for the past ten years, why is he one now?

Furthermore, how many "very good" (but not great) outfielders are ecstatic with this news? If Dawson's anemic .323 on-base percentage can get into the Hall of Fame, why can't Bernie Williams be a logical case with eight straight .300 seasons, four straight Gold Gloves, and four rings when he's up for election next year? Why can't current players like Bobby Abreu (on pace to retire with around 2,500 hits, 300 home runs, and over 400 steals barring a collapse or injuries) be considered eventual candidates for enshrinement?

There's nothing about this that doesn't stink. Andre Dawson was a very good defensive player who had one great hitting season and a few very good ones. But he's simply not a guy one regards as a historically-great player. What's stopping this from setting a dangerous precedent of inducting players whose accomplishments may not warrant the honor?

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-07-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...awsoan01.shtml

If this guy wasn't a Hall of Famer for the past ten years, why is he one now?

Furthermore, how many "very good" (but not great) outfielders are ecstatic with this news? If Dawson's anemic .323 on-base percentage can get into the Hall of Fame, why can't Bernie Williams be a logical case with eight straight .300 seasons, four straight Gold Gloves, and four rings when he's up for election next year? Why can't current players like Bobby Abreu (on pace to retire with around 2,500 hits, 300 home runs, and over 400 steals barring a collapse or injuries) be considered eventual candidates for enshrinement?

There's nothing about this that doesn't stink. Andre Dawson was a very good defensive player who had one great hitting season and a few very good ones. But he's simply not a guy one regards as a historically-great player. What's stopping this from setting a dangerous precedent of inducting players whose accomplishments may not warrant the honor?
400 hr 300 sb only Mays,Bonds and Dawson belong to that club,I think the Hawk was a great player,but you know what, the HOF selection process is bogus any way you look at it. What you should be bitching about is Alomar not getting in.Thats more of A joke than Dawson getting in imop.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Trotman
Veteran

Right on Hank I'll second your opinion here the Hawk was a great player day in day out he came to play and just like the HOY vote the HOF vote is a joke.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
cj's dad

Andre Dawson in --- Pete Rose out - yeah right !!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Andre Dawson in --- Pete Rose out - yeah right !!

You know good a well why Rose is not in [agree or disagree].His situation is another kettle of fish altogether.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

The only argument I ever hear why he shouldn't be in int the On Base %. Yeah, its low, but balance against the 8 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers, 7 Allstar appearances, Rookie of the Year, MVP, plus second twice. This guy when he got hot was the most vicious hitter I have ever seen and when he was on a role he could hit anything out of the park. He is legit.

Alomar is in next year easy. Baseball writers are a fussy bunch
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Trotman
Veteran

Hey Dad Hustle did great things on the field and the stats are there, but tell me as a horse player the gambling on the game from the dugout as in manager is no different than a juice trainer, they are in it for themselves we don't count. Hustle is the perfect name for the degenerate
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

It is hard to compare stats across different eras. Dawson was a dominant player during his time and I think he should be in.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
bisket

i agree dawson should be in. when he was in his prime a homerun was still a homerun. now a long flyball is a homerun. he played in the national league. which had even more of the large astroturf fields. he desreves to enshrined.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
nativenova

As a once die hard Montreal Expos fan, the next question does he wear an Expos or Cubs hat ?

Another player that may have to make that decison is Vladmir Guerrero
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Hank

I will never forget the Hawks epic battle with Nolan Ryan,Ryan fires a 97mph fastball right under the hawk's chin sending him to the deck,the hawk gets up furious and digs in determinedly and takes Ryan out of the yard.wow
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
swami13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenova
As a once die hard Montreal Expos fan, the next question does he wear an Expos or Cubs hat ?

Another player that may have to make that decison is Vladmir Guerrero
I loved the Hawk and agree he belongs.

I believe the Hall makes the choice of the hat on the plaque since it was
rumored that Tampa Bay was going to pay Wade Boggs a bonus if he was inducted with a TB hat on his plaque.

Vlad will go in as an Angel.

Boots Day, another story

Hopelessness is the key........it's my only hope.
swami13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
Rookies
Canadian since 51

The Hawk was a great player ... on several teams.

As for Alomar, he should be shoe in next year. Made the finest defensively play for a second Baseman I've ever seen- well maybe equal to Jeter's. BOTH were in the World Series!
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Tale of the Tape: Alomar v.s. Joe Morgan:

Morgan: .271/.391/.427 268 HR's 1133 RBI 1650 Runs 132 OPS+ 4 time GG'er

Alomar: .300/.371/.443 210 HR's 1134 RBI 1508 Runs 116 OPS+ 10 time GG'er

Greatest Blue Jay ever ...
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Barry Larkin have a shot???

He was a lock until mid career when Jeter, Tejada, and A-Rod came along and made his big power numbers (for a mid infielder) look lousy by comparison, although they were historically excellent beforehand. Which brings me to another point:

what about guys like Dawson who's power numbers look small compared to the juice generation that immediately followed his era? While guys like him suffer in light of the big modern numbers?