Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-09-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
Achilles

Pace Appraiser Questions

Can anyone here help me to understand what exactly I should do to contact the Pace Appraiser site. I've tried their "Contact Us" link, but all I get is a "page not found" message.

I'm also trying to figure out how Pace Appraiser Past Performances differ from the Pace Appraiser Lab? Are they alternatives to one another? Is the PA Lab an enhancement to the PA PP's?

Apparently, you can use BRIS or JCapper files to download to Pace Appraiser. Any opinions out there from users as to which is preferred? Are TSN files no longer available?

While I'm at it, Might as well put my primary problem out there: I'm an old (very old..............my next birthday is #82) Sartinista, although I've borrowed from all the usual authorities (from Beyer and Davidowitz to Sartin and Quirin). When I print out drf or TimeForm PP files (Thank you C.J.), I can barely read the tiny print, yet when anyone suggests just 'capping on the computer...........that is a non-starter for me because I can't keep all the info straight when I can't see it all in front of me at one time. So, I am down to choosing between Ted Craven's RDSS and Randy Giles' Pace Appraiser. I like what I've heard and seen about RDSS, but the idea of training myself to navigate all those screens (at my age) is daunting, to say the least. Pace Appr. seems a simpler way to go which is still effective. So, I would appreciate any constructive comments from the knowledgeable voices on this site.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Jack

-----Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion, fearful lest I should err.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hi Jack!

Partsnut is the guy you need to talk to - he is/was a big PA user.

Here is a link to a few thread that sound like what you are looking for here.....not sure what the status of it is these days.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...archid=8994569

I had a trial version of RDSS a year or so ago - it was a very nice program an it was pretty easy to use- just tabs like Excel.
Lots of familiar screens from Sartin stuff.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
sharkey11

try RPMhandicapping im prety sure they are selling that software

Last edited by sharkey11; 06-10-2020 at 12:30 PM.
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

I checked. They are selling the Handicapper's Lab, but the main Pace Appraiser program was online only. You uploaded your Bris files and got the results.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
lefty359

One question I can answer is TSN files are no longer available.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I checked. They are selling the Handicapper's Lab, but the main Pace Appraiser program was online only. You uploaded your Bris files and got the results.
I think that was a problem. There was another program out there where you had to upload your files and it got the program writer (I think it was free) into some trouble.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 02:57 PM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

That's interesting, cj, as I don't really understand the difference between an online program or a stand-alone app. You still need to be in possession of the data file(s). Must be some weird TOS thing. I am planning to use some of Randy Giles' concepts for a homegrown pace program. It's on my bucket list, which means I'll never finish it.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Can anyone here help me to understand what exactly I should do to contact the Pace Appraiser site. I've tried their "Contact Us" link, but all I get is a "page not found" message.

I'm also trying to figure out how Pace Appraiser Past Performances differ from the Pace Appraiser Lab? Are they alternatives to one another? Is the PA Lab an enhancement to the PA PP's?

Apparently, you can use BRIS or JCapper files to download to Pace Appraiser. Any opinions out there from users as to which is preferred? Are TSN files no longer available?

While I'm at it, Might as well put my primary problem out there: I'm an old (very old..............my next birthday is #82) Sartinista, although I've borrowed from all the usual authorities (from Beyer and Davidowitz to Sartin and Quirin). When I print out drf or TimeForm PP files (Thank you C.J.), I can barely read the tiny print, yet when anyone suggests just 'capping on the computer...........that is a non-starter for me because I can't keep all the info straight when I can't see it all in front of me at one time. So, I am down to choosing between Ted Craven's RDSS and Randy Giles' Pace Appraiser. I like what I've heard and seen about RDSS, but the idea of training myself to navigate all those screens (at my age) is daunting, to say the least. Pace Appr. seems a simpler way to go which is still effective. So, I would appreciate any constructive comments from the knowledgeable voices on this site.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses.

Jack

Please check your private messages.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
That's interesting, cj, as I don't really understand the difference between an online program or a stand-alone app. You still need to be in possession of the data file(s). Must be some weird TOS thing. I am planning to use some of Randy Giles' concepts for a homegrown pace program. It's on my bucket list, which means I'll never finish it.

I'll try to clarify what is permissible as to the TOS which provide data for use in programs.

If a program uses the consumer purchased files from a licensed source and the output is for personal use, there are no issues and no one gets into trouble. It wouldn't matter if the user purchased the file and ran it through the program on their end or if they uploaded a consumer purchased file and it somehow ran through a program in the cloud or on a website. As long as the file was legitimately obtained and the end result was for personal use (and not public) that would not get anyone into trouble.

If the program generates it's own results and those are sold or given away, which means the output is not for personal use, that requires a license. For example, many of the products HDW sells or sells files for are covered under a license. Otherwise the product or data violates the TOS from where it was obtained.

The same is true for an App, where the app does some calculations with or without user input. Those apps need to be licensed for commercial applications.

If a program uses a pre-made file or the program or entity behind it supplies the data to rub which the end user does not purchase from a licensed seller of the data, that requires a license. Otherwise the product or data violates the TOS from where it was obtained.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 02:26 AM   #10
Farrier

Giles' Pace Appraiser

Hello Partsnut,
I'm returning to racing after a long hiatus and would like to continue with Pace Appraiser. I fully agree with your estimate of the program.

I have the original Velocity Generator but I believe Giles abandoned that as my passcode no longer works: sure would like to revive that program. I have the Lab program and the Velocity numbers sheet but can't contact them. I have what's available from the site but wondered if you have the course that was offered to the pp subscribers (the pp's were news to me ; I would have subscribed) and anything else of substance that's no longer on-site, or might put me on to someone who would.

I thank you in advance for any consideration you may give me, and remain
Yours,
Pete
Farrier is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrier View Post
Hello Partsnut,
I'm returning to racing after a long hiatus and would like to continue with Pace Appraiser. I fully agree with your estimate of the program.

I have the original Velocity Generator but I believe Giles abandoned that as my passcode no longer works: sure would like to revive that program. I have the Lab program and the Velocity numbers sheet but can't contact them. I have what's available from the site but wondered if you have the course that was offered to the pp subscribers (the pp's were news to me ; I would have subscribed) and anything else of substance that's no longer on-site, or might put me on to someone who would.

I thank you in advance for any consideration you may give me, and remain
Yours,
Pete

Hi Pete,

I still occasionally use PaceAppraiser but for the service not being offered to the general public. The reason being that it will not work on today's modern computers because the software has not been updated for quite a few years.

His son, who did the programming, has moved on to bigger and better things.

You would need an XP system with and older version of Firefox and an a very old version of Java which is no longer available. Additionally, you would also need a password for the site.
I have been friendly with Randy Giles for many years and speak with him occasionally. I have a lifetime membership to his site.
He can still be contacted through his old web site www.paceappraiser.com.
Just drop him an email and he may get back to you in a few days.
I don't believe it is Randy's intention to revive his subscription based service. However things have a way of changing and I could be wrong.
You would have to speak to Randy directly and possibly he may enlighten you as to what his future plans might be.

His paperback book, "Extreme Pace Handicapping", and his software, "The Handicappers Lab" are still available.

Pete, if I can be of further help, please feel free to contact me through my email address listed below.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:14 PM   #12
Achilles

Contacting Randy Giles

I've tried communicating with Mr. Giles through his website and his e-mail. The website link produces a 404 error code. My inquiry to his e-mail address was not rejected, but he did not reply either. I've also paid $10 via the website to download the PDF version of his book and have not been contacted re how to get that done.

Achilles

-----Being unable to assume an initial premise with any tolerable degree of accuracy, I am loathe to assert a conclusion, fearful lest I should err.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I've tried communicating with Mr. Giles through his website and his e-mail. The website link produces a 404 error code. My inquiry to his e-mail address was not rejected, but he did not reply either. I've also paid $10 via the website to download the PDF version of his book and have not been contacted re how to get that done.

Achilles

I've sent Randy an email making him aware of your problem.
Let him know how and when you made the payment.
Also, see if the payment was transacted from whichever account you made the alleged payment from.
If he knows who you are, he will take care of it.
If you want to give me your particulars privately by email, I will send it to him.
The last time I sent you a private message to answer your questions you never had the courtesy to respond ???
I'm sure he will respond to you.

Last edited by Partsnut; 07-16-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: