Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Trotman
Veteran

IMO the quote like fingernails on a blackboard was very accurate comparison. But for me I like the announcing of
Woodbine's Dan Loiselle very mellow, accurate and exciting when the moment calls for it. I would think for any
track as a marketing ploy would be to hire him for the winter until he has to head back in April-May. This would
with all the Snowbirds that go to Florida for the winter be for them just like home. Just a thought
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #17
Hard2Like

My father used to say

Life must be good if that's all you've got to bitch about.
Cincy,if you do make the trip,Lemme know!
Clean facility,player friendly wagering menu,and local scenery is easy on the eyes.
Value Play=Picnic Area Bring your own coolers,beverages,food,and Oh Yeah,free admission and parking.
Grunder's free coffee and doughnuts interview/discussions with local and national notables in our sport never disappoint.
Pick 4's are starting to heat up also,mispronunciations and all.

Bruce
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotman
IMO the quote like fingernails on a blackboard was very accurate comparison. But for me I like the announcing of
Woodbine's Dan Loiselle very mellow, accurate and exciting when the moment calls for it. I would think for any
track as a marketing ploy would be to hire him for the winter until he has to head back in April-May. This would
with all the Snowbirds that go to Florida for the winter be for them just like home. Just a thought
Not speaking for Dan, but i'm sure he's got a pretty rosey deal up there at Woodbine and i'm sure he loves his 3-4 months off.

back to the point about them not going off at their intended post time....that's intentional to make more $$$$ a huge majority of the money comes in in the last two minutes or so, and they are simply giving everyone a shot to get their money in. Go look around in any OTB and you'll see guys who are just looking for a race with 0 mtp so they can get in on some action.

the other thing they may be doing is trying to stay off of their main competitors post times by taking a couple minutes here or there. We do this at Portland all the time to stay away from Tup and SA....so i'm sure if Tampa gets too close to Gup or AQu, they take 2 or 3.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Meyers
I love Richard's style of calling a race and anybody who knows him (I do) will tell you he is a great human being and a class act.
Her is one of my all time favorites - the guy just gets me upbeat about the races. My only gripe about TB is that danged tree blocking the start!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Her is one of my all time favorites - the guy just gets me upbeat about the races. My only gripe about TB is that danged tree blocking the start!
I think that's the 7f start from out of the chute. Tree's been there longer than the track and for that matter most of Oldsmar.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #21
46zilzal
velocitician

Between accurate content and STYLE of delivery , the former is the more important, BUT it can drive one nuts .....That is why at most tracks, I just keep the volume down...Most football, basketball, baseball games to by the way.

Anyone knowing the game can pick up what is going on from the images and doesn't need the hoopola.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Between accurate content and STYLE of delivery , the former is the more important, BUT it can drive one nuts .....That is why at most tracks, I just keep the volume down...Most football, basketball, baseball games to by the way.

Anyone knowing the game can pick up what is going on from the images and doesn't need the hoopola.
Soooooooo Zilly, we can understand that you would've lived well, married to Helen Keller?
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #23
Space Monkey
Veteran

I don't really like to bash the people who work at the track. I envy them and respect their devotion to the sport. Saying that, I realized right away, in 2001 when I moved to Tampa, that the local guy was never going to make it to prime time . But I don't need him to tell me where my horse is. The only time I need a quality call is in the big races of the year. The races you record or watch back on YouTube years later. Then, the call is part of the event. I loved Dave Johnson's "Down the stretch they come", NYRA'S Marshall Cassidy's "In front" call at the wire and Trevor's "And away they go" gate call. Grunder (?) calls the first 4 out of the gate, then goes to last horse. Skips the middle ones . But hes a fixture and people like him. Thats OK with me.

Margo on the other hand is useless. I haven't heard her say 1 thing in 8+ years that wasn't obvious. The Downs could use some new blood there. Did I say I don't like to bash people who work at the track? I may not like to, but,,,,,,
Space Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
1st time lasix

I enjoy handicapping and playing TBD this time of the year. I actually go on site to the facility about four/five days per year. Like to combine an afternoon there with a Lighning/Bucs evening game. Much of the time I play into simulcast pools off track. Big fields....only play win/exacta/dd's/pick 3/4/6 pools on carryovers. I like .50 pick fours there and most everywhere they allow them. No TBD tris or supers due to onerous take % there. It isn't real easy there on dirt with shippers and horses that like that specific surface. many need a trip over it before they becme effective. The wind can actually be a factor there on some days. You can get some overlay prices if you are willing to do a little spreading. The turf course is as nice as anywhere. They carve a nice deli sandwich on bottom floor. Nice buffet upstairs in clubhouse if you want to stay inside. Paddock is very accessible for sight lines for all the patrons. Parking and entry/exit has improved. Margo adds little but she is part of the experience. I could care less about the race announcer but he sure has a distinct voice. There is no question which track it is when the gates open in Tampa!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #25
castaway01

Grunder is technically awful (I mean, a track announcer should probably be able to remember and/or pronounce the horses' names right most of the time) and he's even worse than Battaglia in saying the exact same thing in every race whether it fits or not. My pet peeve is how a horse "attacks along the inner rail"...Rich, the next time you see a horse attacking along the outer rail, you let me know. (I know, Broad Brush in that PA Derby )

With that said, his quirkiness makes him oddly endearing---it would be strange to hear a Tampa race without him calling it. I guess if the people at the track like him, that's all that matters.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Monkey
Margo on the other hand is useless. I haven't heard her say 1 thing in 8+ years that wasn't obvious. The Downs could use some new blood there. Did I say I don't like to bash people who work at the track? I may not like to, but,,,,,,
To each their own, but in all fairness and possibly just defending the home turf;

She does the most important thing of all for a PR rep…she answers inquires faster then anyone in the business.

E-mail Margo with any question under the sun from local accommodations, restaurants, track facilities etc…You will usually get a thoughtful response faster then the next Zenyatta thread bash appears. (Well; maybe not that fast )

BTW: I’m still waiting for 3+ year old inquires from Gulfstream to arrive.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #27
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

When Margo does her little pre-race analysis from the walking ring area, pay attention if she mentions a horse that is a price and doesn't look that inviting on paper. I don't keep stats on those but I bet some research would find that they have a positive ROI. Just another of the many nuances at Tampa.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

We had an racing anaylist a few years ago that used to make frequent mistakes. One horse named Brian Dude almost always was refered to as Brain Dead. Plenty of other errors. Sometimes half the fun (when we didn't have the sound turned down) was to wait to see what funny/outrageous thing she was going to say next. Good woman, well liked, but she said some humdingers by golly.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
Space Monkey
Veteran

Ok, maybe "useless" was too strong a term. I guess if you listen to her every race, every day, then she'll come up with something good once in a while. I gave her plenty of attention in my first few years here, and just decided shes not worth it. Personal decision. Never said she wasn't a nice person. I never dealt with her, but I have with some of the tracks management. I am always treated well. I guess what I'm saying is I would like Tampa to hire a professional handicapper for Margo's job. Yes, someone like the Little Guy Someone that can give an in depth opinion of the horses other than just pointing out that they just shipped in from Gulfstream off a 3rd place finish at a higher level.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #30
Space Monkey
Veteran

Quote:
She does the most important thing of all for a PR rep
Thats it Dan. She's more of a PR rep than a serious race analyst. Don't fire her, just give her another job in PR. Hire a pro to talk to the bettors.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: