Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #211
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
These were some quickie SQL statements so possibly wrong, but I think it has to do with the 10.01and 10, and 20.01and $20. That was the way the SQL statement were put in. The main issue was the $20 and up that was the center of the conversation.

Would have to verify once I get to my main computers sometime in the future.
I noticed the overlaps and figured that was probably the issue. Still very interesting info.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #212
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
This . I would say, is about 99.9 % correct.....sorry no 2010

JAN1 - AUG 2 2018

TOTAL RACES = 23,233

<= 1 = 3982 .......... 17 %
>1 & <= 4 = 11,565 .......... 50 %
>4 & <=9 = 5032 .......... 22 %
>9 = 2654 .......... 11 %

can you make a living on a 50% category?
It's that 11% category that is enticing. It's half again what the $10.01 to $20 is, but the sky is the limit on return, rather than being capped at $20. Patience, discipline, and guts are all you need. Naturally, all those traits are at a premium in this game.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #213
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
The way I understand it, they aren't winning it. They are playing for a high .90s ROI and taking profit for the most part in rebates.

I finished that book "Six Habits of Successful Bettors" and Dahlmann's story of leaving Maryland for Vegas, and the OTB he frequented laying off 32 employees due to the loss of his handle is very germain to this discussion.
It's hard to be in the "high .90s" when you make the kinds of bets that these whales are making. If they were making smaller, more focused wagers...then, who knows what their ROI would be? But, since they've been offered the generous rebates...they have created a business model through which they can generate the most profit for themselves. The tracks benefit bigtime by the presence of these Whales, though...that's why they roll the red carpet out for them. So...you can't exactly call them "leeches".
Old 08-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #214
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It's hard to be in the "high .90s" when you make the kinds of bets that these whales are making. If they were making smaller, more focused wagers...then, who knows what their ROI would be? But, since they've been offered the generous rebates...they have created a business model through which they can generate the most profit for themselves. The tracks benefit bigtime by the presence of these Whales, though...that's why they roll the red carpet out for them. So...you can't exactly call them "leeches".
Even taking the money part out completely.....to play at something like -2% day in-day out,not cherry picking spots is nothing short of amazing.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #215
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Hey Dave, thanks for the response and the effort to correct the perception I put forward.

Two questions, and very likely you've answered them in the past.

1) How many teams do you feel are out there that you would classify as whales?

2) Are any of them proactive in the support of the industry, or are they just very, very, very big leaches disguised as whales? It would seem the models they have so laboriously constructed wouldn't work in any other endeavor, so the health of the over all horse racing industry would seem of some import to them.

Thanks in advance.
#1. I count six, but not dialed in as much as I used to be.

#2. They're simply taking advantage of their expertise in this particular investment medium.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #216
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
#1. I count six, but not dialed in as much as I used to be.

#2. They're simply taking advantage of their expertise in this particular investment medium.
And the fact they have a lower cost to play.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #217
AndyC

Quote:
The way I understand it, they aren't winning it. They are playing for a high .90s ROI and taking profit for the most part in rebates.

I finished that book "Six Habits of Successful Bettors" and Dahlmann's story of leaving Maryland for Vegas, and the OTB he frequented laying off 32 employees due to the loss of his handle is very germain to this discussion.
I don't know how Dahlmann could have required 32 employees at the OTB.

I would encourage all people who are disgruntled with the rebate players to go out and get a rebate account and accumulate untold riches. It's easy you don't even have to win.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #218
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

I would encourage all people who are disgruntled with the rebate players to go out and get a rebate account and accumulate untold riches. It's easy you don't even have to win.

Doubt he did, but also no doubt the loss of his handle could have cost that many jobs. The extra profit simply made their salaries tolerable, without him, sayanara
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #219
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Not sure -2% is all that amazing considering the ample resources and manpower/computer power they have.

Who's to say there isn't a nice dose of inside information that contributes to that?

Doesn't take much to get to 0 takeout if you know some runners are not 100%
Old 08-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #220
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
And the fact they have a lower cost to play.
... which they deserve by reason of pushing through more volume.

Quote:

If you do the math (based upon hours), you will find that the absolute minimum for covering all the shifts with enough employees to make the bets is around 22-23. Then you add some supervisors, someone to write the payroll checks, etc., and a couple of people to analyze data and a couple more to write code.

32 is pretty much bare bones.

"It's easy you don't even have to win." - Yes, and all you have to do is play about 80% of all pools, in 80% of all races, at 80% of all tracks.

A fact that I became acutely aware of a decade ago is that these endeavors start with at least a $400k investment just for start up and research. (Does not count the bankroll.)

That money goes for salaries while the system is being developed and tested.

And, as has been said over and over... not all of the startup groups win. For every big, successful group there are probably at least 2 or 3 who have failed.

Quote:
Not sure -2% is all that amazing considering the ample resources and manpower/computer power they have.

Who's to say there isn't a nice dose of inside information that contributes to that?

Doesn't take much to get to 0 takeout if you know some runners are not 100%
That is simply not a successful business plan to beat the game with the pressure of having to push big money through the window every month. If you really think these guys are winning based upon insider information, imagine the manpower it would take to collect all that info on the backside at 80% of the tracks in 80% of the races, etc.

You might need 4 or 5 employees researching insider info at each track.

The bottom line is that these guys win because they deserve to win. They deserve to win because they invested time and money to make it happen.

As for the question, "Are they good for racing?" Of course not. They draw money out of the system just like a winning poker player is like an extra rake at the table.

But what is the industry to do? Bar players who win too much?

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 08-03-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #221
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post

I don't know that he required them personally, but the OTb could afford them due to his handle.

Edit: What Alton said

Last edited by ultracapper; 08-03-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #222
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Theoretically, a whale could make it known that ACCURATE information would be well rewarded, and the info would then come to them. No 4 or 5 men on the ground needed.

I have no knowledge that this happens, other than , how could it not?

Not even sure it's illegal ;-)

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 08-03-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #223
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I don't know that he required them personally, but the OTb could afford them due to his handle.

Edit: What Alton said
Ah... I misunderstood.

I was referring to the employees needed to make the bets for the PLAYER!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #224
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
...If you do the math (based upon hours), you will find that the absolute minimum for covering all the shifts with enough employees to make the bets is around 22-23. Then you add some supervisors, someone to write the payroll checks, etc., and a couple of people to analyze data and a couple more to write code.

32 is pretty much bare bones.
I am talking about OTB employees not people employed by Dahlman.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #225
DeltaLover

Too much metaphysics in this thread..

Good related reading: Why urban legends are more powerful than ever