Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
MonmouthParkJoe

Correct on the negative pool part.

While I have no idea why they card these races I can maybe guess one small reason.

I never, ever, ever, watch or wager anything on Mountaineer. Over the last 15 years I really cant think of one single time. HOWEVER....

Since this board brought to my attention this horse, I have been making it a point to watch her races. This leads to me taking a look at the card she is running on. Followed by.....me betting on a number of races!

She is no Arrogate or CC, but I am a fan of her. I like watching her run, and as a result of them carding these races I am getting more exposure to their product and wagering on it. So while the races themselves arent great betting affairs, I am betting else.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
show plungers will be out in full force
This horse may be interesting to watch and fun to root for, but when it comes to large individual show bets, the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted" is just waiting to be fulfilled.

With such an awesome record at 2f, I am surprised others want to run against Huntress Helena, unless they view it as a "paid" workout.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #18
tanner12oz

when she eventually runs outta the money which seems highly unlikely but will probably happen when ya least expect it the payouts will be astronomical
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
Correct on the negative pool part.

While I have no idea why they card these races I can maybe guess one small reason.

I never, ever, ever, watch or wager anything on Mountaineer. Over the last 15 years I really cant think of one single time. HOWEVER....

Since this board brought to my attention this horse, I have been making it a point to watch her races. This leads to me taking a look at the card she is running on. Followed by.....me betting on a number of races!

She is no Arrogate or CC, but I am a fan of her. I like watching her run, and as a result of them carding these races I am getting more exposure to their product and wagering on it. So while the races themselves arent great betting affairs, I am betting else.
Good to hear. And I wish our primary motive WAS that calculated. But, in truth, it's not easy to put out a race card these days, so we keep writing whatever fills. And her race continues to draw warm bodies. The rest is a bonus.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #20
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Good to hear. And I wish our primary motive WAS that calculated. But, in truth, it's not easy to put out a race card these days, so we keep writing whatever fills. And her race continues to draw warm bodies. The rest is a bonus.
Job well done. I believe it, not easy anywhere.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #21
tanner12oz

Can you spill the beans on derby probables now that we are a week out?
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
I thought I saw it said it was Patch.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Somebody put an end to these 2f races? Seems like it has been a while since I've seen one.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #24
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Somebody put an end to these 2f races? Seems like it has been a while since I've seen one.
Soon to return. Respite was planned. Distance more taxing than commonly thought.
Need new and legit challengers. Not optimistic in that regard. Huge minus pools, 3 length margins more likely.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-17-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #25
mountainman

Quote:
Sorry, dude. missed this.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Soon to return. Respite was planned. Distance more taxing than commonly thought.
Need new and legit challengers. Not optimistic in that regard. Huge minus pools, 3 length margins more likely.
Come on, those aren't that taxing.

No doubt on the rest. I wouldn't card them personally unless they are going to be at least a little competitive.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #27
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Come on, those aren't that taxing.

No doubt on the rest. I wouldn't card them personally unless they are going to be at least a little competitive.
"Card" is a tricky, sometimes perilous term for people who do what I do, Craig. One with different checkpoints-and points of no return. There's much to consider in the writing and "using" of novelty races.

Some of it I'd be glad to explain, while other aspects are a bit touchier.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-17-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #28
mountainman

The matchup we had hoped for has materialized. Huntress Helena vs Roman Officer at her pet distance. Like Charles Bronson's character said to the imported "hitter" in the classic "Hard Times" : " These things have a way of coming around."

I've installed Roman Officer as the 3/5 morning line favorite, with Huntress Helens 5/2. I would have preferred to go just a bit lower on her, but the large 5 point gap to the next lowest price point would have necessitated making fast horses such as Appealing Yankee and Bebopaleon, each a winner at the quarter-mile distance, 20-1 (or higher), and that just didn't feel right.

Whatever the odds, the mare's best asset is that she doesn't beat herself. Huntress Helena breaks suddenly, and keeps a straight course. No such assurances with Roman Officer, who isn't as quick or consistent at the break, and has been known to lug in when asked for his all.

No question that the Charlestown horse is more rapid. From the standpoint of top-speed, Huntress Helena is bringing a knife to a gunfight, but that knife will be applied with surgical precision, and 2 furlong purses aren't always to the swiftest.

On a side-note, I'd be a tad surprised if EITHER camp goes strong in the show pool.

This all transpires in Monday's 8th race.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-02-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #29
BombsAway Bob
DimeSupers Really Are!

RE: Creative card-writing.
As September rolls in, when you have a race for 'the bottom'
(AKA NW-12months)
one of my first PP highlighting chores is to circle the career figures of horses that run locally & haven't run 1st-2nd in the past two calendar years. Often, this applies to a third or more of the field.
What i was wondering, could a race be written for non-winners in 18 months,
or since Jan.1,2016. Might a get a few speed-challenged runners out of the bottom condition, at least for the next 12 months.
Hope all is swell. Peace.
[/url]
BombsAway Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #30
lamboguy

Quote:
The matchup we had hoped for has materialized. Huntress Helena vs Roman Officer at her pet distance. Like Charles Bronson's character said to the imported "hitter" in the classic "Hard Times" : " These things have a way of coming around."

I've installed Roman Officer as the 3/5 morning line favorite, with Huntress Helens 5/2. I would have preferred to go just a bit lower on her, but the large 5 point gap to the next lowest price point would have necessitated making fast horses such as Appealing Yankee and Bebopaleon, each a winner at the quarter-mile distance, 20-1 (or higher), and that just didn't feel right.

Whatever the odds, the mare's best asset is that she doesn't beat herself. Huntress Helena breaks suddenly, and keeps a straight course. No such assurances with Roman Officer, who isn't as quick or consistent at the break, and has been known to lug in when asked for his all.

No question that the Charlestown horse is more rapid. From the standpoint of top-speed, Huntress Helena is bringing a knife to a gunfight, but that knife will be applied with surgical precision, and 2 furlong purses aren't always to the swiftest.

On a side-note, I'd be a tad surprised if EITHER camp goes strong in the show pool.

This all transpires in Monday's 8th race.
this race will be the most exciting race of the summer anywhere.

if you switched post positions, HUNTRESS HELENA would probably be the same odds or even favored over ROMAN OFFICER.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: