Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #1171
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
Will someone please tell me where this "boring and slow-paced" version of our game is located...because I haven't seen it since full-card simulcasting burst upon the scene twenty years ago.

This is the brilliant idea that the horse racing industry has come up with to stimulate interest in this "declining" game? To introduce "giveaways" and other gimmicks...in order to occupy the 20 minutes of idle time that horseplayers have in-between races?

They are comparing the "idle" time that the horseplayer has in-between races, with the intermissions in other sporting events?

What 20 minutes of idle time?

Haven't they noticed that we now have about 100 races crammed into a 4-5 hour timespan?

Our game does indeed have a lot of problems lately...but being "boring and slow-paced" is not one of them.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #1172
Indulto
Veteran

No quote could do justice to this hilarity hatched while state officials hide from the media:

http://troyrecord.com/articles/2012/08/16/sports/horseracing/doc502dc8b3271bb009689662.txt?viewmode=fullstory
The greatest show on earth
By Nick Kling August 16, 2012
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #1173
Indulto
Veteran

In Beyer’s “New York racing’s imminent takeover by the state is cause for worry” (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/new-york-racings-imminent-takeover-by-the-state-is-cause-for-worry/2012/08/25/5f91db5c-ee14-11e1-afd6-f55f84bc0c41_story.html)from 08/25/12 he wrote, People who don’t follow racing closely, and know about NYRA what they read in the New York newspapers, might think that any change would be an improvement. For years, NYRA has been a whipping boy for politicians and the press, portrayed as incompetent and corrupt. But the supposed misdeeds of the organization were regularly overblown, and much of the hostility toward NYRA was driven by factors other than its record. Plenty of people in New York disliked the fact that the upper crust of the horsey set, the wealthy dynasties like the Phippses and the Vanderbilts, dominated NYRA and exerted so much control over New York racing. Former governor Mario Cuomo, father of Andrew, had a visceral dislikeof the bluebloods.”

In his “Beyer: Triple Crown is just what racing needs” (http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-triple-crown-just-what-racing-needs)form 06/07/12 he wrote, “Though most of racing's woesare national in scope, no segment of the industry has been so beleaguered as New York's. The New York Racing Association has been aperennial whipping boy for politicians and editorialists, and the anti-NYRAcrusade reached a climax this spring when Governor Andrew Cuomo executed avirtual state takeover over the sport − not a happy prospect.”

Clearly Andrew Cuomo is the “whipping boy” for Beyer and the “bluebloods”. Rather than “drive hostility” toward the governor on the basis of HIS “record,” they instead cloak him in his father’s mantle, and whine that the worst is on its way without providing evidence to support that conclusion beyond suspected political corruption and ineptitude in prior administrations.

Meanwhile, they ignore the incompetence and/or intrigue involved in the takeout fiasco whose burden was borne by unrebated recreational bettors for whom, I would argue, they may have a “visceral dislike”.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #1174
Rico8812

More blame on the 'takeout fiasco' should go to the NYSRWB ALONG WITH, Cuomo's own Franchise Oversight Committee.

2 different groups in albany didn't catch the takeout snafu. Yet more of the blame should go to NYRA?
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #1175
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico8812
More blame on the 'takeout fiasco' should go to the NYSRWB ALONG WITH, Cuomo's own Franchise Oversight Committee.

2 different groups in albany didn't catch the takeout snafu. Yet more of the blame should go to NYRA?
Sabini and Megna should join Hayward.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #1176
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
In Beyer’s “New York racing’s imminent takeover by the state is cause for worry” (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/new-york-racings-imminent-takeover-by-the-state-is-cause-for-worry/2012/08/25/5f91db5c-ee14-11e1-afd6-f55f84bc0c41_story.html)from 08/25/12 he wrote, People who don’t follow racing closely, and know about NYRA what they read in the New York newspapers, might think that any change would be an improvement. For years, NYRA has been a whipping boy for politicians and the press, portrayed as incompetent and corrupt. But the supposed misdeeds of the organization were regularly overblown, and much of the hostility toward NYRA was driven by factors other than its record. Plenty of people in New York disliked the fact that the upper crust of the horsey set, the wealthy dynasties like the Phippses and the Vanderbilts, dominated NYRA and exerted so much control over New York racing. Former governor Mario Cuomo, father of Andrew, had a visceral dislikeof the bluebloods.”

In his “Beyer: Triple Crown is just what racing needs” (http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-triple-crown-just-what-racing-needs)form 06/07/12 he wrote, “Though most of racing's woesare national in scope, no segment of the industry has been so beleaguered as New York's. The New York Racing Association has been aperennial whipping boy for politicians and editorialists, and the anti-NYRAcrusade reached a climax this spring when Governor Andrew Cuomo executed avirtual state takeover over the sport − not a happy prospect.”

Clearly Andrew Cuomo is the “whipping boy” for Beyer and the “bluebloods”. Rather than “drive hostility” toward the governor on the basis of HIS “record,” they instead cloak him in his father’s mantle, and whine that the worst is on its way without providing evidence to support that conclusion beyond suspected political corruption and ineptitude in prior administrations.

Meanwhile, they ignore the incompetence and/or intrigue involved in the takeout fiasco whose burden was borne by unrebated recreational bettors for whom, I would argue, they may have a “visceral dislike”.
Why not just a link for this one with a few biased quotes for emphasis like all the others. No, no agenda at all for link boy.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #1177
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

Are you coming to NY anytime soon to take up the cause for the "unrebated recreational bettor?" You could be the andymays of the East Coast...think about it...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #1178
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Sabini and Megna should join Hayward.
But they're not, are they? Nor do I see you vigorously calling for that to happen...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #1179
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why not just a link for this one with a few biased quotes for emphasis like all the others. No, no agenda at all for link boy.
What on earth are you talking about?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #1180
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
But they're not, are they? Nor do I see you vigorously calling for that to happen...
I probably have said it more vigorously elsewhere, but I believe I have said it here before.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #1181
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about?
Maybe I misunderstood. Go back and look at the formatting of your last post and tell me how anyone is supposed to make sense of that?

It looks to me like you are questioning Beyer's agenda, something you rarely ever do for any of your other hundreds of links. But again, who knows? That post is a disaster on the eyes.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #1182
Indulto
Veteran

For cj and others having difficulty reading the previous version

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/new-york-racings-imminent-takeover-by-the-state-is-cause-for-worry/2012/08/25/5f91db5c-ee14-11e1-afd6-f55f84bc0c41_story.html
New York racing’s imminent takeover by the state is cause for worry
By Andrew Beyer 08/25/2012
Quote:
... People who don’t follow racing closely, and know about NYRA what they read in the New York newspapers, might think that any change would be an improvement
Quote:
. For years, NYRA has been a whipping boy for politicians and the press, portrayed as incompetent and corrupt. But the supposed misdeeds of the organization were regularly overblown, and much of the hostility toward NYRA was driven by factors other than its record. Plenty of people in New York disliked the fact that the upper crust of the horsey set, the wealthy dynasties like the Phippses and the Vanderbilts, dominated NYRA and exerted so much control over New York racing. Former governor Mario Cuomo, father of Andrew, had a visceral dislike of the bluebloods.
http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-triple-crown-just-what-racing-needs
Beyer: Triple Crown is just what racing needs
By Andrew Beyer 06/07/2012
Quote:
... Though most of racing's woesare national in scope, no segment of the industry has been so beleaguered as New York's. The New York Racing Association has been aperennial whipping boy for politicians and editorialists, and the anti-NYRAcrusade reached a climax this spring when Governor Andrew Cuomo executed avirtual state takeover over the sport − not a happy prospect.
Clearly Andrew Cuomo is the “whipping boy” for Beyer and the “bluebloods”. Rather than “drive hostility” toward the governor on the basis of HIS “record,” they instead cloak him in his father’s mantle, and whine that the worst is on its way without providing evidence to support that conclusion beyond the history of political corruption and ineptitude that occurred in prior administrations.

Meanwhile, they ignore the incompetence and/or intrigue involved in the takeout fiasco whose burden was borne primarily by unrebated recreational bettors for whom, I would argue, they may have a “visceral dislike”.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #1183
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/new-york-racings-imminent-takeover-by-the-state-is-cause-for-worry/2012/08/25/5f91db5c-ee14-11e1-afd6-f55f84bc0c41_story.html
New York racing’s imminent takeover by the state is cause for worry
By Andrew Beyer 08/25/2012http://www.drf.com/news/beyer-triple-crown-just-what-racing-needs
Beyer: Triple Crown is just what racing needs
By Andrew Beyer 06/07/2012[/font]Clearly Andrew Cuomo is the “whipping boy” for Beyer and the “bluebloods”. Rather than “drive hostility” toward the governor on the basis of HIS “record,” they instead cloak him in his father’s mantle, and whine that the worst is on its way without providing evidence to support that conclusion beyond the history of political corruption and ineptitude that occurred in prior administrations.

Meanwhile, they ignore the incompetence and/or intrigue involved in the takeout fiasco whose burden was borne primarily by unrebated recreational bettors for whom, I would argue, they may have a “visceral dislike”.
So, I was right. You normally just post links and a few biased snippets, but when it is against your agenda you add commentary. Two of the three agencies that should have caught the takeout error were not NRYA, right? Yet they are off scott free.

As usual, Beyer is spot on and tells it like it is.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #1184
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
So, I was right. You normally just post links and a few biased snippets, but when it is against your agenda you add commentary. Two of the three agencies that should have caught the takeout error were not NRYA, right? Yet they are off scott free.

As usual, Beyer is spot on and tells it like it is.
Right about what? The results of the IG investigation still haven't been made public. Weren't they supposed to examine the roles of the SRWB and FOB?

Even if you don't like the snippets I provide with the links, or the commentary when I think it's warranted, the number of views this thread is getting tells me that there are others who do. You're welcome to your opinions, but you seldom bring anything new or confirmational to the table on this particular issue.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #1185
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Right about what? The results of the IG investigation still haven't been made public. Weren't they supposed to examine the roles of the SRWB and FOB?

Even if you don't like the snippets I provide with the links, or the commentary when I think it's warranted, the number of views this thread is getting tells me that there are others who do. You're welcome to your opinions, but you seldom bring anything new or confirmational to the table on this particular issue.
And what do you bring? You copy articles that are quite easy to find on the net. Most of the time Seth at Equidaily has a link long before you do and without any of the twisted comments. You conveniantly only post those that advance your own agenda. And now you are bashing people who are actually here (I know as I said hello to him Friday night) and know something about the topic they are writing about. There is no new info in anything you have "written".
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: