Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #346
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME View Post
Yes, Herve was Ortiz like. Top of the line.

I don't know. Maybe he's got too much of an ego, trying to save as much as he can for next time. All I know is, I hated him when he was in Cali. I gave him a shot in NY. He's lost my love. He's Kent like. An enigma, over rated could've been much more dime a dozen pin head.

I'm sorry I was too nice, I really wanted to say what I really feel but held back.
I watch Kent's rides every day. He's an excellent rider.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #347
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I watch Kent's rides every day. He's an excellent rider.
1) Has he been an excellent rider for his entire career? How was that NY stint?

2) Yes, excellent ride on Big Brown

3) I loved the way he was home about a month back, stopped riding 90 yards out, ended up dead heating with an entry mate. Great for the bettors, that Can't Desourmeaux!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #348
dilanesp

Quote:
1) Has he been an excellent rider for his entire career? How was that NY stint?

2) Yes, excellent ride on Big Brown

3) I loved the way he was home about a month back, stopped riding 90 yards out, ended up dead heating with an entry mate. Great for the bettors, that Can't Desourmeaux!
Well, he was an excellent rider when he started in Maryland. Set a record.

There was nothing wrong with the ride on Big Brown. Horse didn't want to run so he wrapped up and protected him.

Day in and day out, Kent rides horses well. Times the pace, saves ground, wins stretch duels.

And if you want to trade anecdotes, he had several excellent rides on Exaggerator. And he has won a few Derbies and Preaknesses.

Last edited by dilanesp; 02-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #349
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Well, he was an excellent rider when he started in Maryland. Set a record.

There was nothing wrong with the ride on Big Brown. Horse didn't want to run so he wrapped up and protected him.

Day in and day out, Kent rides horses well. Times the pace, saves ground, wins stretch duels.

And if you want to trade anecdotes, he had several excellent rides on Exaggerator. And he has won a few Derbies and Preaknesses.
How many times has he stopped riding and lost spots?

1898?
2442?
3102?

What are we up to now? Some jocks don't have as many wins as he has lost board spots due to apathy.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #350
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Joel Rosario and Kent Desormeaux both have talent. I don't think anyone here is questioning that.

Joel obviously gave a minimal effort yesterday. Not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Kent has repeatedly been caught on video standing up on horses before the wire at tracks in California.

If I recall correctly, within the past year, the CHRB even called him in for a private questioning session after one such incident. But apparently the CHRB (and there's no polite way for me to say this) didn't have the balls to suspend him.

If the same incident had happened during a race run in another part of the world where integrity is actually a priority - for example Australia, Japan, or Hong Kong - the regulatory body wouldn't hesitate to suspend the rider for failure to make a good faith effort to obtain the best possible placing.

But here in the US: Racing Commissioners don't have the will or the balls for that.

It's a shame really.

In my opinion:

By not having the will or the balls to suspend one of their own for failure to make an honest effort to obtain the best possible placing - Racing Commissioners here in the US are sending a message to the public that the words thoroughbred racing and integrity really don't belong in the same sentence.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-26-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #351
rsetup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Couldn't he at least use the whip once? I don't think that is too much to ask. I've seen people say it was a prep and what not. The horse had been off two months, not six months or a year.
Two points:

1) If your watch the horse's last two races, you'll notice that Rosario is extremely parsimonious with the whip

2) He got absolutely ZERO help from the rest of the field yesterday and was forced to go widest of all. Moreover, if the leader doesn't come out in the lane, just enough, MYB wins the race.

I'm not exactly Rosario's biggest fan but in this particular case I don't believe he can be faulted.
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #352
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetup View Post
Two points:

1) If your watch the horse's last two races, you'll notice that Rosario is extremely parsimonious with the whip

2) He got absolutely ZERO help from the rest of the field yesterday and was forced to go widest of all. Moreover, if the leader doesn't come out in the lane, just enough, MYB wins the race.

I'm not exactly Rosario's biggest fan but in this particular case I don't believe he can be faulted.
1) Maybe he shouldn't be?

2) Regardless of trip, he should have tried a bit more.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #353
classhandicapper

I mentioned not knowing the plans for this horse in a prior note because the race looked a little "preppy". It's not that unusual for a horse to to be less than 100% cranked in the race before a target race on the schedule.

From DRF

Mind Your Biscuits is targeting the Dubai Golden Shaheen

“You always want to win, but I loved the race he ran Saturday,” said Summers. “It should set us up perfectly for Dubai. I’ll probably breeze him once on March 11 before we leave.”
Old 03-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #354
rsetup
Veteran

So Rosario comes down the lane with Ticonderoga and ONLY hits him TWICE. And the only reason he did was the horse was trying to lug in.
rsetup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #355
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsetup View Post
So Rosario comes down the lane with Ticonderoga and ONLY hits him TWICE. And the only reason he did was the horse was trying to lug in.
I think we're at the point where Joel should just ride without a whip. At least we will know he will underutilize the crop.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #356
Broad Brush

I don't usually complain about rides.

I was really confident in Cloud Computing in the Gotham
today. On my figs he ran the fastest first 1/2 of anybody and he did it
in his first start while not running the first 100 yards.

Manny, who I really like, had him way too close the pace and it killed his chances.

On a good note, none of these will ever beat CC again.

I think he is a good one. When tired and passed--he kept his
head down and his ears pinned and tried hard right to the wire.

His 2nd Dam is Halo America who won 1.5m and produced
two other stakes winners.

Keep an eye on him.
Broad Brush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2017, 06:54 PM   #357
SharpCat

Quote:
I think we're at the point where Joel should just ride without a whip. At least we will know he will underutilize the crop.
He is the Gerald Melancon of NY.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #358
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
He is the Gerald Melancon of NY.
that's not fair to Melancon
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #359
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I actually think Desormeaux is an incredible rider. His penchant for not riding to the wire is troubling though.

I'd be curious to see what people thought of his rides in the 5th and 7th today. Needless to say, I don't think they will be going on his career highlight reel.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2017, 12:28 AM   #360
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
I actually think Desormeaux is an incredible rider. His penchant for not riding to the wire is troubling though.

I'd be curious to see what people thought of his rides in the 5th and 7th today. Needless to say, I don't think they will be going on his career highlight reel.

I didn't see the 7th but I bet the horse in the 5th. I've now bet that horse in three of his starts and watched them all. I can tell you the ride had zero to do with the outcome. The horse simply isn't a msw. Dorf will drop him into a claimer now. He had no horse at any point in the race.

I'm assuming you're referencing the rides because once he realized he had no horse he basically showed zero effort? If so all I can say it's never changing with him. That's where we are.

But there's nothing a jockey could have done to change anything. The Baffert was 8-10 lengths the best.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply