Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-26-2023, 07:15 PM   #31
Publius

17 more days until racing returns to the Crown Jewel of US Turf.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-28-2023, 09:43 PM   #32
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Is NYRA really charging $85 before tax for a handicapping seminar in the paddock suite? Talk about trying to milk everything for what it’s worth.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 09:09 AM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'll do a phone seminar with you for $25.

(Make it right adter Talking Horses)

Last edited by Tom; 06-29-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-29-2023, 09:50 AM   #34
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
Is NYRA really charging $85 before tax for a handicapping seminar in the paddock suite? Talk about trying to milk everything for what it’s worth.
No.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2023, 02:10 PM   #35
Moreno

Food for thought: Should the US show odds in decimals like in Europe?
It would be easier, especially for newbies.
Also I would not have to take off my shoes to figure out the odds when I run out of fingers
See you all at the SPA soon!
Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #36
Moreno

Odds are 2/1 that some major thing will be out of order on opening day at the SPA
Old 07-01-2023, 11:07 PM   #37
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno View Post
I am a season pass holder at the SPA for 35 years.
Would like opinions on how to improve the SPA experience.
Any pet peeves welcomed.
I'll start it off:
-Every year it seems opening day is a surprise to NYRA. Something is always out of order, ie. TV's, sound system, escalator. Betting windows maned by people without a clue. I asked for an exacta box and the clerk answered " sorry, I don't know what a Jack-in -the -Box is" True story.

-Take the picnic tables out of the paddock area, they spoil the whole atmosphere. There are plenty of picnic tables all over the property. Bring a chair!
-Re the paddock area,how is it possible that people are set up with a table or chairs or stake out a place with a tarp BEFORE the gates open!
Someone is getting paid off. UNFAIR!

-Bring back the $2.50 hot dog.

I've wrestled with reality for 35 years,and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Elwood P. Dowd
The only time I use a live teller at Saratoga is when I buy my voucher at the start of the day and at the end of the day to cash out.
I never have issues getting in my bets.
Of course, I do most of my handicapping the night before and any changes I have to make right after scratches and changes are announced..Usually around 9am.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 09:39 AM   #38
burnsy
self medicated

I don’t understand why any experienced horse player would use a teller . That just baffles me. Especially at the Spa on a hectic day . I make 90 % of my bets from my chair . I have 3 accounts but NYRA acct is my go to at the Spa . No tellers to deal with , no clowns handicapping when they are at a machine , no voucher to deal with and I love the fact that every bet is recorded so I don’t have to track it . I can bring up the entire meet at any time . At this point , if you’ve been going there for any amount of time you are nuts not to wager thru an acct. it just seems like a no brainer to me . I’m lazy and I like to spend every ounce of my energy on winning . Dealing with the crowd when I don’t have to (or tellers ) is a waste of my time and energy . I believe to do well , you have to know what you’re doing before the card starts . Then stick to it and stay focused . I have fun too but I walk in there organized and ready . Dealing with the wagering in that crowd is a distraction to me.

Last edited by burnsy; 07-02-2023 at 09:43 AM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 11:45 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Odds are 2/1 that some major thing will be out of order on opening day at the SPA
Actually, iy's 1.95.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:01 PM   #40
Moreno

funny
Old 07-04-2023, 04:10 PM   #41
Moreno

There is something about holding those greenbacks in your hand after a good score.
I made friends with the teller at the $50. window.I give him a tip after a large win and he lets me bet any amount I want. Doesn't enforce the $50. minimum.
The line is always short and this guy is very good.
He has given me a few tips too.
Old 07-04-2023, 04:26 PM   #42
Publius

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I don’t understand why any experienced horse player would use a teller . That just baffles me. Especially at the Spa on a hectic day . I make 90 % of my bets from my chair . I have 3 accounts but NYRA acct is my go to at the Spa . No tellers to deal with , no clowns handicapping when they are at a machine , no voucher to deal with and I love the fact that every bet is recorded so I don’t have to track it . I can bring up the entire meet at any time . At this point , if you’ve been going there for any amount of time you are nuts not to wager thru an acct. it just seems like a no brainer to me . I’m lazy and I like to spend every ounce of my energy on winning . Dealing with the crowd when I don’t have to (or tellers ) is a waste of my time and energy . I believe to do well , you have to know what you’re doing before the card starts . Then stick to it and stay focused . I have fun too but I walk in there organized and ready . Dealing with the wagering in that crowd is a distraction to me.

I always make wagers through Nyrabets account except for a group wager.

There are reasons a person would use tellers. I am going to Toga in July with
my wife and I will give her $ to wager.

In August I rented a house with two buddies. One lives in Jersey and has an online account which he bets with. The other guy reached out to me and said he has never been to Saratoga and wanted to knock it off bucket list. Of course we can do that and we had a house rented and paid for within a week. If he wagers it will be through teller. He's kind of a good look charm, as we have had successful Belmont Stakes Days when he has attended.
Publius is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2023, 06:43 AM   #43
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Quote:
The DRF used to have a Saratoga Package that gave you the PP's for the entire meet with a booklet filled with facts and figures, but they stopped a couple of years ago.
I did like the preview booklet. For the life of me, I can't find the last one I bought, which is a shame, since lots of the commentary related to post position and track configuration doesn't change. But there's plenty to cover that's new and goes a bit deeper than day-to-day coverage, yet doesn't rise to some false notion of special info that costs a fortune. If nothing else, it was a fun way to get ready for the meet. DRF should bring that back.
Aerocraft67 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #44
Moreno

I live 4 minutes from the SPA, I'm there most days.
I sit in the paddock area with the big screen.
I sit in a tall directors chair (makes it easier to get up and down with my ex football player bad back) in front of a folding camping table.
I'll have my Moreno hat on opening day.
I usually have a cooler filled with adult beverages.
Anyone on this thread who wants to say hi and share a cold one is welcome.
Please come with some tips
Old 07-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

1 race in the books, and it is apparennt nothing was done to fix last year's terrible video. Today's was amateurish at best, pathetic.

Who takes the video, some drunk standing on a bench in the flats?
Maybe the shaking could be fixed with some hot coffee?

On the far turn, grrreat shots of the rail, with some blurry horse heads juxtaposedjust above it.

THIS is the greatest meet in the country????