Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #4456
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
When THAT evidence come forward, you can then tell us all about it
Until then, the Reichsführer will require your SILENCE!

ALL SPEECH NOT DIRECTLY IN SUPPORT OF THE CHURCH OF COVID-19 IS SUBJECT TO FINES, IMPRISONMENT, and soon DEATH!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #4457
woodtoo

Oregon Governor slams economy door shut until June 6 despite ranking 40th on covid list.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #4458
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
Oregon Governor slams economy door shut until June 6 despite ranking 40th on covid list.
I think you meant to say July 6th
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #4459
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Comn you mean like Gallup, New Mexico.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gallup-...d-coronavirus/

Pop 22,000
Covid cases 1,000
Deaths 19

Allan

19? deaths....cmon
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:26 PM   #4460
highernote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
19? deaths....cmon
That is consistent with the death rate in a lot of jurisdictions -- about 2%.

I think the people on reservations might be getting hit particularly hard.
highernote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #4461
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by highernote View Post
Except 2% is a false number.

But you know...continue to make sure we're wrecked forever because of a false number.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #4462
highernote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Until then, the Reichsführer will require your SILENCE!

ALL SPEECH NOT DIRECTLY IN SUPPORT OF THE CHURCH OF COVID-19 IS SUBJECT TO FINES, IMPRISONMENT, and soon DEATH!
It is always interesting to find parallels in history. During the Flu Pandemic of 1918 Congress passed the Sedition Act:

Quote:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ear-180965222/

The killing created its own horrors. Governments aggravated them, partly because of the war. For instance, the U.S. military took roughly half of all physicians under 45—and most of the best ones.

What proved even more deadly was the government policy toward the truth. When the United States entered the war, Woodrow Wilson demanded that “the spirit of ruthless brutality...enter into the very fibre of national life.” So he created the Committee on Public Information, which was inspired by an adviser who wrote, “Truth and falsehood are arbitrary terms....The force of an idea lies in its inspirational value. It matters very little if it is true or false.”

At Wilson’s urging, Congress passed the Sedition Act, making it punishable with 20 years in prison to “utter, print, write or publish any disloyal, profane, scurrilous, or abusive language about the form of government of the United State...or to urge, incite, or advocate any curtailment of production in this country of any thing or things...necessary or essential to the prosecution of the war.” Government posters and advertisements urged people to report to the Justice Department anyone “who spreads pessimistic stories...cries for peace, or belittles our effort to win the war.”

Against this background, while influenza bled into American life, public health officials, determined to keep morale up, began to lie.
One thing that will never change -- politicians will always lie. Lying is never justifiable.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #4463
GMB@BP

Quote:

I think the people on reservations might be getting hit particularly hard.
lets say the number is correct, which we know likely there are millions of people who have had the disease but were not tested. But lets just say that it is.

In a smallish town, hard hit with a outbreak, has had 19 people die. Tragic, no doubt.

Yet I would argue 19 deaths, while tragic, still is relatively small number yet millions in that state are locked down with no way to pay bills or earn income.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #4464
davew

Quote:
lets say the number is correct, which we know likely there are millions of people who have had the disease but were not tested. But lets just say that it is.

In a smallish town, hard hit with a outbreak, has had 19 people die. Tragic, no doubt.

Yet I would argue 19 deaths, while tragic, still is relatively small number yet millions in that state are locked down with no way to pay bills or earn income.
interesting that when the government is closed because Congress is fighting over a budget just how 'big' a deal it is. especially when the people affected are mostly getting a paid vacation with a delayed pay of a couple weeks.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #4465
jk3521
Registered Loser

When men were men...

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...gfa-story.html

Interesting story.

Last edited by jk3521; 05-03-2020 at 01:45 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #4466
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgers View Post
I think you meant to say July 6th
Where did you see this?
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #4467
highernote

Quote:

I think the goal is to prevent what happened in Philadelphia and the rest of the world in 1918:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/u...nsylvania.html

The second wave was deadlier than the first. For whatever reason the virus came back stronger. There was a third wave that was weaker. And then it virtually disappeared.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #4468
GMB@BP

Quote:
I think the goal is to prevent what happened in Philadelphia and the rest of the world in 1918:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/u...nsylvania.html

The second wave was deadlier than the first. For whatever reason the virus came back stronger. There was a third wave that was weaker. And then it virtually disappeared.
I would argue that they built up heard immunity that took several waves to overcome, we may just be delaying the process, guess we can just stay closed till all the waves come through, the lockdown advocates never seem to mention the balance of the economy when making decisions.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:00 PM   #4469
highernote

Quote:
I would argue that they built up heard immunity that took several waves to overcome, we may just be delaying the process, guess we can just stay closed till all the waves come through, the lockdown advocates never seem to mention the balance of the economy when making decisions.
Your theory is as good as any.

There are scientists the world over trying to develop a vaccine that will be effective against all corona viruses. That would be ideal. We'll see.

The U.S. was closed down for quite a while in 1918 and survived. We'll survive this. The tragedy of 1918 was that things go so bad that some people literally abandoned their kids for fear of getting sick. Other families starved to death because they were too ill to take care of themselves and there was no one to help them.

As long as people can have a basic income to sustain them until this winds down I think the economic recovery will be pretty quick. Personally, I can survive on very little. As long as people have food, clothing, and shelter everyone will get through this ok.

I am hopeful that we have reach the bottom economically. It might stabilize now at a slower GDP, but maybe it won't get worse and slowly get better until it can go parabolic again.

Last edited by highernote; 05-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #4470
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Where did you see this?
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...to-july-6.html

I was commenting on the date in the post, nothing else.

The State of Emergency was extended, not the shutdown.
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply