Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #106
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Appreciate the tip. Already in a similar situation. Different company. I have an energy broker who actually works for me (and 14 other restaurants) and he handles it all for us. Thanks again.
No problem, but if you want to be your own broker with no additional effort, check out BOX. No fees or anything, you just get your best pricing in real time and lock in.

It's good you have a broker, it's just that BOX allows you to pocket the commission your broker takes (which is not minimal)
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #107
proximity

the county where i live finally picked up its first case.

ten days ago there were ten cases in the county where i work and you had to drive 100 miles to get to the next county with a case. still the county is only up to 22 cases but it seems to be closing in from the east.

here are our pennsylvania numbers:

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...ges/Cases.aspx

a lot of negative tests.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 AM   #108
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Just Ralph,

In the last week, I've been reaching out to all the movers & shakers I know for conversation. The specific question I have been asking is, "Which social distancing changes are likely to outlast the virus?"

The single answer that keeps popping up is that work from home is going to become ever-greater reality.

Then, when that is further explored a new question arises: "Will people go back to shopping, eating out, etc. as they did before?"

Apparently, serious studies are being done using cell phone data to address these very questions.

One strong opinion came from someone who said (my paraphrase) that this process of social distancing will become a mode that is called upon whenever there is a new strain of virus.
He went on to say that all food businesses will create a "disaster avoidance" plan that included ramped up take out and delivery services.

Leading the pack on this item is, of course, Walmart. They've been pushing the order-online-and-pickup model so strongly that they're opening new stores just for that.

He also talked about restaurants doing the same thing. In addition, he said that delivery services such as Uber Eats are not currently capable of fulfilling the delivery job. He said that would change as Uber/Lift would have drivers who did nothing but deliveries.
The real point was that he expected the take out restaurant biz to increase just like Amazon is killing it vs. retail shopping.

Dave
This is something few are considering the ramifications of.

Not only will restaurants (sorry Ralph) and other brick and mortars suffer greatly in the weeks and months after things "get back to normal," but the whole work at home thing is an interesting angle.

During this whole "shelter in place" period, a helluva lot more people probably became familiar with Amazon shopping...and there isn't much to NOT like about it (other than nothing is in stock at the moment).

How will plenty of new Amazon customers affect brick and mortars? Tons I say.

Also, commercial real estate? With all these businesses figuring out they can accomplish plenty with their staff working from home, how many are going to ditch the traditional office space? Or downsize? Thus saving a TON of money on real estate?

The commercial real estate market may suffer immensely down the road.

There could be more than a few paradigm shifts happening after this is all over...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:18 AM   #109
lamboguy

there has been plenty of psychological damage done throughout the world. my cousin from italy texted me to check on me. he tells me its quite horrific on the streets of Rome. everyone is in tears and are hopeless. but he also tells me that there is some light at the end of the tunnel there now. i don't know how to relate one place to the other. the only thing i know is that the virus is the same here as it is anywhere else in the world.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #110
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
there has been plenty of psychological damage done throughout the world. my cousin from italy texted me to check on me. he tells me its quite horrific on the streets of Rome. everyone is in tears and are hopeless. but he also tells me that there is some light at the end of the tunnel there now. i don't know how to relate one place to the other. the only thing i know is that the virus is the same here as it is anywhere else in the world.
I hope not with the same results. I don’t understand what’s happening in Italy and Spain. Sorry for your extended family there.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #111
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I hope not with the same results. I don’t understand what’s happening in Italy and Spain. Sorry for your extended family there.
As I posted in the other Coronavirus thread, my thoughts on the situation is, Covid-19 is a respiratory disease and therefore the quality of the air a population breathes over the years will greatly impact the effect of the virus on the population. Unfortunately, by most measures Italy has more air pollution than other European nations. (And while Spain has made recent strides in cleaning it's air, it has not always been that way.)

Lambo-Well wishes to your family and friends
Rutgers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #112
Suff
Beat up 💪

I did'nt read any of the last 20 post to this thread. I went out today and have been out more because I'm moving. I'm on a lease here for two more months and I'm walking from 2 months and security money.

I went to Bank of America today. 4 llc accounts with them in MA and FL.

Conveniently I had just tightened every thing up a few months ago and I have all my corp doc's in good shape.

I was uncomfortable waiting to see the bank officer. They had jerry-rigged a maze on the floor, and you had to move through the maze depending on need.

I was there to inquire and access capital. I got started however I need get in deeper before anything share worthy.. There was a nationwide conference call for loan officers at 2 pm today. I was at the bank 9am and waited in line. Me and the Loan Officer had an 8-foot away discussion marked by tape on the floor. She got me started on her Ipad as we exchanged information.

The cash, as I understand, will come from ANY FDIC insured bank. This is the way Muchin set it up. It will not be SBA loans, or SBA loan guarantees, although I did start that process on SBA.gov because why not.

Any bank, credit union, cooperative.. any FDIC insured entity can access the money through the Treasury Dept.

Stayed busy.

I delivered some masks and road trip essentials to friends in a pickle. He has COPD , on the oxygen COPD. He's self quarantined trying to get home to Ohio. Today the trip was cancel because there is a large storm moving over the south on Tuesday. Right on the path of Fl to Ohio. So now he goes Wed.

I drove up their 45 minutes each way Miami to Lauderdale by the Sea. I stopped at Starbucks drive through. I filled the tank, 2.99 pharmacy and carwash.

I wore surgical gloves. I washed them at each pit-stop on my routes.

I found the day very hard. The mental energy that I exhausted about touch this, touch that, don't touch my face, staying away-LIKE DODGING people for real. When I saw anybody within 10 feet I started making moves. Stop-left -right- backup.... didn't matter. Its hard on the brain. PLus I am trying to do real shit. When I get in, the fear I brought something in starts in my head. To go out requires some lift. Fort Lauderdale, North Miami area.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #113
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I went out today for the first time in many days.

Drove to the post office and then 7-11.

Saw folks with masks...chuckled to myself...

I wore a pair of winter gloves (not bulky ones...no mittens...lol) to touch the mailbox...and the cash machine at 7-11...

Then I went home....washed my hands.

Never freaked out while people were 5ft away or so at 7-11...they had everything set up with masking tape on the floor and boxes stacked to make sure people stood far enough away and you couldn't get as close as usual to the cashier, who wore gloves (but her mask wasn't on...just hanging around neck).

The whole thing is kinda ridiculous...especially if you're in relatively good health and under the age of 65....

I know, I know...someone is gonna give me links about all the 40yo and 30yos and even younger who have died from this disease.

There are always outliers in any large enough sample set...especially one filled with error and bias.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:42 PM   #114
Suff
Beat up 💪

real estate in florida.

The doors are closing. Or already closed. You've got some recall on the Florida and Nevada real estate situation in 2008?

This is is worse. Virtually every condominium and community in South Florida is implementing a no new sales or tenants policy. Can't buy, sell, rent.

My complex has stopped and closed all amenities. Also, no contractors, no visitors. Only plumbers in an emergency. No maids, no painters , no delivery trucks.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #115
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Fun times.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #116
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quick question...if someone dies and tests positive for COVID-19...do they get automatically chalked up as a death stat for COVID-19? Do they even check the viral load?

That's but one instance of bias and error I mentioned above.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #117
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I went out today for the first time in many

There are always outliers in any large enough sample set...especially one filled with error and bias.

I’m trying to message that your points are conceded.

Chuckling at people for using a mask? Just its placebo benefit might be enough to help.

Gentle. Gentle is good.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #118
Suff
Beat up 💪

Its a ghost. Its insane. No answers for anyone. I got out of bed and did something.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #119
davew

Amazon, Whole Foods, and some related delivery service talking about going on strike. I didn't even know they were in a union.

Maybe Bezos will be hiring a few million.

Freezer, fridge and cupboard are not crammed full. Better management of my food supply. I am not sure if I have a couple months worth if all things went worse - probably.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #120
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I don't believe Sleepy Joe actually said this, but it's funny anyway
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply