Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
maddog42

GOP Voter Suppression Radicalized William Louis-Dreyfus, 'Seinfeld' Star's

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1936966.html

"Until recently, William Louis-Dreyfus was just another retired multimillionaire, giving his art collection away to charity and watching his actress daughter Julia on TV. He followed politics, but not to the point of actually doing much about it."

If something impedes the right of the people to vote, I can't think of anything more lethal to happen to our basic principles," he said. "It's a damn outrage, and I don't understand why everyone -- Republican and Democrat alike -- are not shocked to their shoe tops." So when New York Times readers opened the front section of the newspaper Tuesday, they found a full-page ad in which Louis-Dreyfus announced his $1 million donation to fight voter suppression, explained why, and challenged his fellow wealthy Americans to do likewise.

And he entirely dismisses the voter fraud argument. "I'm not only not convinced," he said, "it seems to me that the other side is making that argument because it can't really say the truth."

The truth being that this is a Plot by Republicans to suppress poor and minority voting.

When I first heard of Voter ID a couple of years ago I was all for it. But the more I read about the sheer numbers that would likely be discouraged from voting, I changed my mind. Coupled with the fact that the type of Voter fraud that this law would prevent is very rare, made me dead set against it.

In the coming days I will post article after article showing how rare voter fraud is.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog42
In the coming days I will post article after article showing how rare voter fraud is.
Look-up stats on how many people fly planes into skyscrapers and then ask yourself why EVERYBODY needs ID to get on a plane.

I suppose you & Louis-Dreyfus have a problem with this as well?

Who's next on your hit list of outrage, Canada?

In Canada to vote, one must prove their identity and address. A voter has three options:
(1) Show one original piece of identification with photo, name and address like a driver's license or a health card. It must be issued by a government agency.

(2) Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have a name and one must also have an address. Examples: student ID card, birth certificate, public transportation card, utility bill, bank/credit card statement, etc.

(3) Take an oath and have an elector who knows the voter vouch for them (both of which will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as the voter. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Look-up stats on how many people fly planes into skyscrapers and then ask yourself why EVERYBODY needs ID to get on a plane.

In Canada to vote, one must prove their identity and address. A voter has three options:
(1) Show one original piece of identification with photo, name and address like a driver's license or a health card. It must be issued by a government agency.

(2) Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have a name and one must also have an address. Examples: student ID card, birth certificate, public transportation card, utility bill, bank/credit card statement, etc.

(3) Take an oath and have an elector who knows the voter vouch for them (both of which will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as the voter. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.
Canada's rules sound reasonable (but then again, maybe they don't have very many poor people up there.) But seriously, there rules are right in line with the Law of Universal Distrust. The Canadians are more in touch with reality than we are.

Funny how libs here suddenly trust everyone. When it comes to voting, everyone is trustworthy, honest and truthful? I guess when someone steps into a polling place, they walk out of this dimension and into another one wherein everyone is wearing a halo? What incredible delusions!

Boxcar
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
ArlJim78

oh yes please do show us the facts. I'm dying to see how anyones vote would be suppressed. I've been waiting for this information but for some reason nobody has brought it forth. Now finally we can all learn about the "sheer numbers who would be discouraged" from voting.
I'm sure there is a most scientific way of calculating those who would be discouraged.

one more point, I'm not interested to know how rare voter fraud is. If you do not know who is voting, via some kind of indentification, then there is no way to know the extent of what fraud might be going on. any person over 12 knows that using the honor system for voting leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by ArlJim78; 10-09-2012 at 01:03 PM.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
GameTheory

Yeah, don't understand this issue. I do understand that the Republicans pushing for this probably have less than pure motives, but so what? Having an ID to vote is just common sense, and as everyone points out given the other things we have to show ID for, it really just makes no sense. Practically everyone up until this was made an issue already assumed you needed id -- when you go to actually vote the people in line are always digging through their stuff to get their ID and are usually kind of annoyed they DON'T need it. It makes it feel as if YOUR vote is vulnerable to be stolen if anybody can just walk up and vote in your name...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Greyfox

Anyone with any brains carries some type of Identity card.

There are many reasons to have one.
For example, young people purchasing booze, people hurt in Motor Vehicle Accidents, applications for jobs, Social Security, credit cards and so on.
Any sensible person would insist that their kids carry ID at all times.
Many businesses insist that their employees wear visible identification cards, and rightfully so.
It's not as if a one time purchase of a card incurs a huge expense for anyone.

maddog - even if voter fraud is low in frequency, you are up an Acacia tree on this one.

Last edited by Greyfox; 10-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

For example, young people purchasing booze, people hurt in Motor Vehicle Accidents, applications for jobs, Social Security, credit cards and so on.
Many businesses insist that their employees wear visible identification cards, and rightfully so.

maddog - even if voter fraud is low in frequency, you are up an Acacia tree on this one.
Why isn't just registering to vote an unfair burden? Getting an id is just as painless, and as part of the process of enacting these laws they are making it quite easy, as shown by the PLAINTIFF (who is just a pawn of the opposition groups) of one of these lawsuits challenging one of these laws showing off her new id card, easily obtained.

Like I said, the motives for enacting these laws at this time are mostly unpure, but the lies from the opposition are even bigger. And the idea still is common sense, motives or not.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack

The canadian law is much less restrictive than ours and much better, because of sections 2 and 3.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
GameTheory

Quote:
The canadian law is much less restrictive than ours and much better, because of sections 2 and 3.
Those steps would be pretty much the same thing you'd need to get an ID card, so what's the difference?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
ArlJim78

I want to see one person on camera explain how any voter ID law discourages him or her from voting. "I could vote but now that I have to show my ID I just feel like, why bother?"
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I want to see one person on camera explain how any voter ID law discourages him or her from voting. "I could vote but now that I have to show my ID I just feel like, why bother?"
Drop the fees for people to obtain ID if they're under a certain income level.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
GameTheory

Quote:
The truth being that this is a Plot by Republicans to suppress poor and minority voting.

When I first heard of Voter ID a couple of years ago I was all for it. But the more I read about the sheer numbers that would likely be discouraged from voting, I changed my mind. Coupled with the fact that the type of Voter fraud that this law would prevent is very rare, made me dead set against it.

Let's agree right now that voter fraud of this type is very rare. So what? I so stipulate that it is true, and yet I still support the idea of voter ID.

I think if you are going to post article after article, they should show how this is going to suppress votes from legitimate voters as you say -- that would be much more likely to convince somebody to change their mind.

Again, maybe someone can tell me why we have voter registration at all? THAT suppresses voting far more than an ID check to make sure you are the person on the registered voter list. Why not just have open polling places where anybody can come in and vote without even giving a name, let alone an ID? Think of the the turnout!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Drop the fees for people to obtain ID if they're under a certain income level.
horses4courses

You live in Nevada.

An ID card in your State costs $12 for people between 18-64.
65 and older costs $7.

If you are homeless that fee can be waived.

http://www.dmv.org/nv-nevada/id-card...g-Your-ID-Card

How much lower do you want the fees to be?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
Again, maybe someone can tell me why we have voter registration at all? THAT suppresses voting far more than an ID check to make sure you are the person on the registered voter list. Why not just have open polling places where anybody can come in and vote without even giving a name, let alone an ID? Think of the the turnout!
That's not suppression because propellerheads like maddog, NJ, Louis-Dreyfus & mostie weren't instructed to think it is.

They don't think for themselves. They need hep.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
maddog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

You are wrong.

According to an analysis by The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia's elderly are more deeply affected by the law than other age groups, particularly those over 80.

Of the 44,861 active Philadelphia voters aged 80 or older, one in four does not have the required form of ID to vote. That’s a total of 12,313, according to the Inquirer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1934063.html

Of the 3 people I have talked to that were over 80, 2 did not have a government issued photo ID. One was my mom who is 95. She hasn't driven in 10 years. This article says 1 in 4 of people over 80 don't have them. That figure is more correct than mine. Here in Oklahoma I suspect the figure is higher.

"What I'm afraid of is they'll be disenfranchised from the voting process," said Camden Care Center administrator Robert Letich.

Letich says the vast majority of his residents who want to vote don't have a photo identification card.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=992604