Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #4921
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Is it possible for one thing, say a particle, to be in two different places at the same time?
What we've been talking about has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. Apples and Oranges, Dr. Watson.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #4922
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What we've been talking about has nothing to do with quantum mechanics. Apples and Oranges, Dr. Watson.
Is it possible for one thing, say a particle, to be in two different places at the same time?
Old 12-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #4923
boxcar

Quote:
Return to planet earth after you come down off your quantum high.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #4924
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Old 12-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #4925
boxcar

Quote:
You need to change your needle. You're wearing out the vinyl.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #4926
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Quantum High! Good joke!
Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #4927
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You need to change your needle. You're wearing out the vinyl.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #4928
boxcar

Quote:
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #4929
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Oh...I "equivocated" the same way you did when you asked me a couple of weeks ago to define what I meant by the phrase "in the same sense"?

And I already answered your question because I implied in my last post that your question was a non sequitur, having nothing to do with high and daring jumps out of an airplane or being locked in a shark cage underwater. You were trying to apply a science category to other disciplines in life. In other words, your science question doesn't apply to these "thought" experiments, and was only asked to distract and deflect from the unenviable position in which you have put yourself.

But since you brought up "equivocation", it appears Bohr and Heisenberg played cutsie with their definition of their principle since they refused to decide on a single terminology or any definite set of terminologies, for that matter. This kind of wiggle room is spacious enough for an armada of equivocation to float through when necessary. And many scientists excel at this "art" when they call "something" "nothing", for example.

The notion of “uncertainty” occurs in several different meanings in the physical literature. It may refer to a lack of knowledge of a quantity by an observer, or to the experimental inaccuracy with which a quantity is measured, or to some ambiguity in the definition of a quantity, or to a statistical spread in an ensemble of similarly prepared systems. Also, several different names are used for such uncertainties: inaccuracy, spread, imprecision, indefiniteness, indeterminateness, indeterminacy, latitude, etc. As we shall see, even Heisenberg and Bohr did not decide on a single terminology for quantum mechanical uncertainties. Forestalling a discussion about which name is the most appropriate one in quantum mechanics, we use the name “uncertainty principle” simply because it is the most common one in the literature.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-uncertainty/

By the way, would you say that evolution is a good example of the Uncertainty Principle?
Quantum mechanics can be your friend.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #4930
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Quantum mechanics can be your friend.
Just as all truth is God's truth; likewise all true science is God's science. Remember: Adam was the world's first scientist.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #4931
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Just as all truth is God's truth; likewise all true science is God's science. Remember: Adam was the world's first scientist.
That's what I said.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #4932
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Remember: Adam was the world's first scientist.
What did he discover?
Old 12-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #4933
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
However box, maybe it might explain your duplicity?
Old 12-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #4934
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
However box, maybe it might explain your duplicity?
I heard a black hole had sucked you up and spit you out on the other side of the universe. Guess that was a rumor.

Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #4935
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
That's what I said.
Yeah...you did.

I know the game Actor is playing. As usual, I'm about a dozen steps ahead of him at any given time. Allow me to demonstrate.

Mr. Actor sir, I'll answer your QM question if you answer mine first: Can a person be in and outside his house at the same time?

Or since it's the Christmas Season, allow me to rephrase the question in keeping with the season: Can a person be in and out of his chimney at the same time?

What sayest thou?