Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

Los Al takeout increased for September meet

Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Corrected link:
http://blog.horseplayersassociation....dvisory_7.html

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Player Advisory

The Los Al meet that runs Sept 7th - Sept 24, 2017 is being run as a California Fair meet and not a California Thoroughbred meet.

That means:

Win-Place-Show takeout will be 16.77% instead of 15.43%.

Exacta takeout will be 24.02% instead of 22.68%.

Trifecta, Superfecta, Pick3, and Pick4 takeout will be 25.02% instead of 23.68%.

However, they have voluntarily lowered takeout at this meet on the Pick5 to 14.00% and Doubles to 20.00%.

We thought you should know because of the timing for this meet - immediately following Del Mar...

AND because (as of this morning 8:30 am pacific time) Los Al appears to be misleading the public on their website.

They are clearly describing the meet as the "Los Alamitos Fall Thoroughbred Meet."

The Los Al meet that starts today will have higher takeout than a thoroughbred meet.

--Jeff Platt, HANA President

Screen capture - here:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LosAlSiteScreenCapture.JPG (110.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Jeff P; 09-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Andy Asaro

Not a nickel to Los Al
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Poindexter

If I am understanding this correctly, this isn't a takeout increase per se. They have a higher takeout on this 17 day fair meet than they do the rest of the year. Why is that?

These are very high takeouts, especially considering that Los Al typically has mostly 6 horse fields.

No Keeneland, No Los Al. Anybody else?

Good thing I love harness racing.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Afleet

I think I only have bet 1 or 2 races there ever. Never even crosses my mind to play this track
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
If I am understanding this correctly, this isn't a takeout increase per se. They have a higher takeout on this 17 day fair meet than they do the rest of the year. Why is that?

These are very high takeouts, especially considering that Los Al typically has mostly 6 horse fields.

No Keeneland, No Los Al. Anybody else?

Good thing I love harness racing.
This is exactly how it was done when Pomona (Fairplex) was still running I believe. I'm not sure how Los Al has handled it since they took over these dates the last few years, but Fairplex was always higher than the regular thoroughbred tracks.

Also, to be fair, it does show "Los Angeles County Fair at Los Al" to the left in the image posted. I'm certainly not a higher takeout cheerleader. People can decide for themselves what they tracks they want to bet and what they think is an unfair price. But I don't think there is any intentional deception here. I doubt the design of the website gets more than two seconds thought from those in charge.

Last edited by cj; 09-07-2017 at 03:19 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is exactly how it was done when Pomona (Fairplex) was still running I believe. I'm not sure how Los Al has handled it since they took over these dates the last few years, but Fairplex was always higher than the regular thoroughbred tracks.

Also, to be fair, it does show "Los Angeles County Fair at Los Al" to the left in the image posted. I'm certainly not a higher takeout cheerleader. People can decide for themselves what they tracks they want to bet and what they think is an unfair price. But I don't think there is any intentional deception here. I doubt the design of the website gets more than two seconds thought from those in charge.
for one week i will boycott Los Alamitos.........as I was anyway lol
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
for one week i will boycott Los Alamitos.........as I was anyway lol
I'm personally not a fan of either Los Al meet, and probably wouldn't be at 10% takeout. I just don't like the racing over the weird oval.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm personally not a fan of either Los Al meet, and probably wouldn't be at 10% takeout. I just don't like the racing over the weird oval.
me too, and a lot of times the prior form does not translate so well.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
me too, and a lot of times the prior form does not translate so well.
That is why I don't like it. I've seen a lot of horses for course win, but I never seem to pick the right ones!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #11
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Bringing this to the attention of players has at least caused them to change the wording on the Los Al website:
http://www.losalamitos.com/TB/Info.aspx

Instead of: "Los Alamitos Fall Thoroughbred Meet"

Their website now reads: "LA County Fair Meet at Los Alamitos"

Now if we could only get them to change the takeout...

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 09-07-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Bringing this to the attention of players has at least caused them to change the wording on the Los Al website:
http://www.losalamitos.com/TB/Info.aspx

Instead of: "Los Alamitos Fall Thoroughbred Meet"

Their website now reads: "LA County Fair Meet at Los Alamitos"

Now if we could only get them to change the takeout...

-jp

Yes, they started scrambling as soon as they saw it. Most of them didn't even know they had higher takeout rates this meet. Good work.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
Andy Asaro

(referrring to quote)So is me not playing a nickel on the meet. This isn’t just a Los Alamitos thing for me it has to do with Keenelenad and the Industry as a whole. I’m fed up supporting a sport at retail takeout rates. So I’ll pass on Los Alamitos and I’ll pass on Keeneland, and I may pass on Santa Anita if they come up with some mickey mouse b.s. cosmetic changes to the wagering menu next meet like the rolling super hi fives.

Consider me a part time gambler from now on unless something drastic changes.

Hat’s off to Jeff Platt and HANA for bringing attention to the Fair takeout rates. Most people on the list didn’t even know about it.

We never quit,

A

“This was statutory,” Liebau said on Thursday morning. “There was no leeway. If you’re a fair, you’re a fair.”

http://www.drf.com/news/takeout-rise...september-meet
Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #14
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
(referrring to quote)So is me not playing a nickel on the meet. This isn’t just a Los Alamitos thing for me it has to do with Keenelenad and the Industry as a whole. I’m fed up supporting a sport at retail takeout rates. So I’ll pass on Los Alamitos and I’ll pass on Keeneland, and I may pass on Santa Anita if they come up with some mickey mouse b.s. cosmetic changes to the wagering menu next meet like the rolling super hi fives.

Hat’s off to Jeff Platt and HANA for bringing attention to the Fair takeout rates. Most people on the list didn’t even know about it.

We never quit,

A

“This was statutory,” Liebau said on Thursday morning. “There was no leeway. If you’re a fair, you’re a fair.”

Yet somehow they were able to VOLUNTARILY lower the take on P5 and DD.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

We never quit,

A

How was this handled the last few years? This isn't the first year they ran the fair dates, right?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: