Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 04-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
The other knock on him is that he's a tool -- a Johnny Manziel-type without the obvious drug/alcohol problems. Didn't Cleveland draft Manziel? OMG -- they might do it again with Mayfield.

I still think that of this draft Sam Darnold will have the best NFL career. Or maybe the CFL, not sure.
Mayfield was arrested in Arkansas at a Walmart, if I recall alcohol played a part. Don't recall the details but it was a big deal for a day or two then faded

The guy is an immature dick. Easy to say since I'm a Longhorn, but I had / have the greatest respect for Sam Bradford and many other Sooners. Mayfield? A mouthy little dick that will find the nfl too tough to handle after a couple of years unless he changes drastically and immediately.

Just my two cents...
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
MutuelClerk

I do agree the QB's everyone is trading up to select are shaky. Especially this year. If i'm the Browns I either draft two like I mentioned earlier or draft none and take the best two players in the draft. Barkley first and Chubb fourth. Let everyone else moving up fail. But like others have mentioned whatever they do will probably be wrong.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Height's important but as Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have shown, it's not the be-all and end-all.

I don't think any of these guys are going to be superstars.

There's too many legitimate questions for that to happen.But they could be a couple of very good ones.I think Rosen and Mayfield have the best chance of being productive for a long time.USC QB's (Darnold) are guilty until proven competent in the NFL.Allen is the wild card; love the arm and the build but accuracy is an issue and he's played against a low/lower level of competition in high school, JC and Wyoming.Classic boom or bust.
Wilson ran a 4.5 forty out of college. Mayfield was 4.81 sec. Having said that I still think he was the best of this bunch of QB's and a better passer than RW, but not Brees out of college. Definitely the most fun to watch.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #19
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Josh Allen FTW!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
Josh Allen FTW!
Um...maybe not so much. Not great at a mid-level of competition and now this. Draft stock tumbling?

He's sorry...
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #21
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
The way I think the top of the draft will pan out and why.

Browns takes Josh Allen.Most upside and the things that scouts have concerns about have improved, according to reports.I am a great believer in letting QB's sit for a couple of years and given the low level of competition that Allen played against in high school,JC and Wyoming (the MWC ain't the SEC!),he needs it more than the others.That kind of arm, athleticism and size don't come along very often.The Browns could be a playoff team in 2019;the AFC North gets older and weaker every year

The Giants next take Saquonn Barkley.Last season's disaster was an abberation and the Giants think they could get back in the playoff hunt next year.RB is a great area of need, Eli could use the support and RB is the most plug and play position in football.If he could be Ezekiel Elliot , without the off field problems,that could happen.Or they could go with Sam Darnold (a mistake) or Bradley Chubb (see #4)

The Jets might be tempted to take Josh Rosen (a Jewish football star in New York City? My son, the quarterback!) but I think they will take Baker Mayfield.He's cocky but he also plays with a chip on his shoulder.New York and him were made for each other.

At 4, the Browns got a gift from the gods.The Texans needed to unload Brock Osweiler's ridiculous contract and the Browns got a 1st round draft pick for doing so.What was unexpected was Houston going from AFC South champ in2016 to last place.They dropped 20 draft positions from the previous year.The Browns take NC State DE Bradley Chubb (or Barkley if the Giants choose a QB,).

At 5, Denver needs a QB.Case Keenum is a game manager and not a long term answer,Rosen could fit here.The most ready to start right away but the concussions are a concern.His father is one of the top surgeons in California so he would be more cognizant of long term damage than most families.Or Denver could trade down for more draft picks.

Well those are my predictions.That and a dime lets you bet on a superfecta.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 04-26-2018 at 10:39 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #22
tucker6

Quote:
Um...maybe not so much. Not great at a mid-level of competition and now this. Draft stock tumbling?

He's sorry...
He's sorry he got caught
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:

He's sorry...
Oops.Cleveland will forgive anything if he could be a winner.Also, a good place to hide out until things blow over,

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
Valuist

Mayfield now a minus 180 favorite at 5 Dimes to be taken first.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
A guy like Taylor - a game manager - is more effective on a solid team. I think that all of the guys mentioned have a higher upside than he does.
You may laugh at this, but if you watched most of the Browns games, they threw away A TON of games last year just due to turnovers. The QB play was horrific. The rest of the roster in no way reflective of their record.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
Valuist

Quote:
Let's just check this thread again in...let's say...five years?
I know you are a Bears fan and I'm not sure any of these guys are better than Trubisky, let alone DeShaun Watson. This is an overrated group, IMO.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #27
pandy

My oldest son has Jets season tickets. We've gone to the stadium for draft night a few times, which is fun, they let the fans on the field, but tonight we're going to watch it at his house. We don't have a preference which QB they take with their third pick because you never know how it will turn out. I remember '83 when the Jets took Ken O'Brien with the 24th pick and Dan Marino went at 27. I had never seen Marino play in college, but I watched his first start in the NFL and I thought he was already as good as any QB in football. From the moment Marino stepped onto an NFL field, he was a superstar. I was shocked that he went so low. Miami had the winningest record in the NFL during Marino's career and made the playoffs ten times. Ken O'Brien stunk.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
My oldest son has Jets season tickets. We've gone to the stadium for draft night a few times, which is fun, they let the fans on the field, but tonight we're going to watch it at his house. We don't have a preference which QB they take with their third pick because you never know how it will turn out. I remember '83 when the Jets took Ken O'Brien with the 24th pick and Dan Marino went at 27. I had never seen Marino play in college, but I watched his first start in the NFL and I thought he was already as good as any QB in football. From the moment Marino stepped onto an NFL field, he was a superstar. I was shocked that he went so low. Miami had the winningest record in the NFL during Marino's career and made the playoffs ten times. Ken O'Brien stunk.
Marino had cocaine rumors following him as I recall.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #29
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Marino had cocaine rumors following him as I recall.
I've heard that, I wonder if it was true. The Dolphins probably started the rumors.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I know you are a Bears fan and I'm not sure any of these guys are better than Trubisky, let alone DeShaun Watson. This is an overrated group, IMO.
For me, jury is still out on Trubisky. He's hard to judge as last year the Bears had no receivers to speak of. I don't think that he will be terrible but I don't think he's a superstar, so somewhere between average and very good. I also thought that Watson was the best QB prospect last year -- good skills and could win games.

I also agree that this year's QBs are overrated. It's possible based on college wins that Mayfield could have a nice career. For me there's just too much negative stuff. If he pulls that mouthy college crap in the NFL he's going to be on his ass a lot.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: