Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 06:08 PM   #16
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...use-amendments

John Velazquez

"The day that you actually put away the whip there will be more accidents on the racetracks, racing in the United States or anywhere. I'm telling you, it will be too dangerous to be run," he added. "So we will kiss good bye to racing if that's the case you're looking for, no hitting the horse at all. We have to come up with some idea that's actually going to be a benefit for all of us and still have a business in 100 years."
Is anyone in the industry suggesting that riders shouldn't carry a whip/crop at all or that they can never hit a horse?

If not, he's worrying about a non issue.

The legitimate debate is about what the riders need to carry to ensure their safety and how aggressively and often they can use it beyond that.

IMO, we should be deferring to the riders on safety, but clearly some of what we use whips for has nothing to do with safety. So there is a legitimate debate here somewhere.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 PM   #17
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Is anyone in the industry suggesting that riders shouldn't carry a whip/crop at all or that they can never hit a horse?

If not, he's worrying about a non issue.

The legitimate debate is about what the riders need to carry to ensure their safety and how aggressively and often they can use it beyond that.

IMO, we should be deferring to the riders on safety, but clearly some of what we use whips for has nothing to do with safety. So there is a legitimate debate here somewhere.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...ew-foam-crops/

“We're never going to please the jocks. They don't want to do anything but keep the status quo. I appreciate their argument, but it's not going to fly in the face of the public's demand that we quit hitting these horses.”
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #18
v j stauffer

Quote:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...use-amendments

John Velazquez

"The day that you actually put away the whip there will be more accidents on the racetracks, racing in the United States or anywhere. I'm telling you, it will be too dangerous to be run," he added. "So we will kiss good bye to racing if that's the case you're looking for, no hitting the horse at all. We have to come up with some idea that's actually going to be a benefit for all of us and still have a business in 100 years."
I like most of Johnny V's quote. Might not have used the word "hitting". Nothing on this subject is going to cause the kissing goodbye of racing. But I get what he's trying to say.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:20 AM   #19
Andy Asaro

Jockeys' Guild objects to Kentucky whip rules

https://drf.com/news/jockeys-guild-o...cky-whip-rules

"“If we have trouble going into the turn, we are using 3 strikes there and we can’t use them in the stretch,”

Velazquez said. “I don’t think that looks good for the bettors to see us stop on a horse.”
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If the whip the jockeys are being asked to use can't adequately do the job of keeping the riders safe, I can see them being upset. But beyond that I don't see why riders or so many horse players have a problem with limiting its use. No one will have an unfair advantage and perceptions will improve. The only issue is rider safety.
Yeah, I take what the riders say somewhat seriously, but a lot of horseplayers just want to see the rider hit the heck out of the horse in the stretch, because it is a showy way of showing the rider is "trying".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #21
ronsmac

There’s little doubt that the left handed whip made lord north take off today.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2020, 09:42 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Jockeys' Guild objects to Kentucky whip rules

https://drf.com/news/jockeys-guild-o...cky-whip-rules

"“If we have trouble going into the turn, we are using 3 strikes there and we can’t use them in the stretch,”

Velazquez said. “I don’t think that looks good for the bettors to see us stop on a horse.”
ha, that is funny. a rider caring what a bettor thinks.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #23
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
ha, that is funny. a rider caring what a bettor thinks.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply