Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
GMB@BP

Your son, what would you do?

So yesterday I was reading Mark Cramer's Thoroughbred Cycles when my kid walks up and asks what I was reading, I told him, and he said "think I should read that book"?

I asked him why and he said "I wanna learn how to bet the horses".

Now he is 15 and been around this his whole life, not only have I been doing it forever I have a family friend who is in the business so we always watch the BC and Derby, go to see people in California and Ky where my wife is from. So its not new to him.

I told him this is the not the book for you to read to learn, its more advanced concepts, but beyond that I could teach you more than is in most books.

The question is, is that a good idea? Should I even subject my kid to this game? Will he wander that ways anyhow?

Was a bridge I didnt expect to cross, my kid aint exactly like me in many regards.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
Afleet

they say the game needs new fans. Some of my favorite memories as a kid was going to the track w/my dad
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
So yesterday I was reading Mark Cramer's Thoroughbred Cycles when my kid walks up and asks what I was reading, I told him, and he said "think I should read that book"?

Now he is 15 and been around this his whole life, not only have I been doing it forever I have a family friend who is in the business so we always watch the BC and Derby, go to see people in California and Ky where my wife is from. So its not new to him.

I told him this is the not the book for you to read to learn, its more advanced concepts, but beyond that I could teach you more than is in most books.

The question is, is that a good idea? Should I even subject my kid to this game? Will he wander that ways anyhow?

Was a bridge I didnt expect to cross, my kid aint exactly like me in many regards.
I believe you should be completely honest about all that it encompasses. The bad stuff far outweighs the good stuff but regardless by being there to answer all his questions I believe a stronger bond will occur.

My 2 cents.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I’m calling CPS!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Immortal6

Quote:

Speaking from a son's perspective, I would encourage your son to try to handicap races with you and help you look over pps at the races. It is a great way to introduce him to handicapping and you can help teach him some basics to the game first hand; heck maybe he will even show you a new angle you haven't thought of!

My first experience at the races was with my dad when I was about your sons age, where my dad would place a couple $2 show bets on horses that I liked. I'll always remember before I was able to decipher a racing form my dad would always take me track side and I would pick my winner by watching the horses in the post parade...(I think I bet a disproportionate number of grey horses )

I'm fortunate enough to share many common interests with my own father but going to the track together and sharing our insights into races with one another is currently and will be some of my most cherished memories for years to come. If you and your son don't share many interest this may be a good opportunity for you.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m calling CPS!
ha ha that is funny
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
chiguy

Take him out golfing and teach how to figure out his handicap
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
PointGiven

From someone's perspective that didn't have that. The other night in another discussion I was telling I didn't have that. I spend many times by myself. I enjoyed every minute because I was doing something I love.

But I had to learn everything on my own. It was difficult and at times frustrating and costly. Now I feel like I am still years behind where I could be.

There is the bonding aspects as well.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I think you already know the answer.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #10
jay68802

Teach him yourself, or let him learn on his own. One way gives him a head start, and you can show him that not every race is playable. The other way, he will learn that lesson, but could cause financial problems. The best part about teaching him yourself is the time spent with him.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
fiznow

I remember on big race days like the Breeders Cup the whole family bet and my daughter hit some nice longshots. But not just by chance, she read the form and quickly found out her own way to select horses. It was always fun. I think it's a good thing to get some new racing fans of the next generation. Nothing wrong about it as long as they don't bet your house.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #12
onefast99

Quote:

I would tell him to act like you, be respectful of the game, and don't get mad when you lose. My first time at MP with my dad was right after Hurricane Agnes the thrill of playing the horses and the possibility of winning lots of money(a $10 dollar bill was a homerun then)just added to the excitement. My dad stuck with his favorite numbers I played the horses names and if the jockey only came over to ride one horse for the day from another track I was in. The angles were all there and the memories will never fade. Great game, good people and based on todays exotics the money you can win now exceeds any other game where the odds aren't 26,000,000 to 1 to win!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #13
mrhorseplayer

If you dont believe your son should be part of it then why are you in it? I believe its a way to bond with the son, I didnt have that.
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m calling CPS!
Was CPS around in 1968? My Step Great Grandfather taught me how to play cards when I was 7 as in gambling games like Black Jack and Draw Poker. He would pay me for chores then asked if I would like to try to make that couple dollars into some real money. I don't think I ever won and ended up working good chunks of the summer for free. Not sure what he was up to, trying to stretch his fixed income or teach me the ills of gambling. Would this be considered child abuse in 2018?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
If you dont believe your son should be part of it then why are you in it? I believe its a way to bond with the son, I didnt have that.
It's funny because I learned the game from being around others starting around the age 15 when once or twice a summer my family would meet other family and friends at the track for a nice day and betting. I loved it so much that I took it on and self directed my learning, and now I go with my dad to the BC every year, and we have a great time but I'm the main handicapper.

I think the difference is that we're huge sports fans overall and this is just a great game to be involved with on the big events of the year --- Triple Crown, Travers, BC, etc. We'll go and bet full cards of racing together about 5 times a year. I get excited every time when I get a good card I can play the multi-race wagers in. My father loves living it with me, and picking his own, since he follows it but didn't ever delve as deep as I have.

It's funny how things turn around as you get older, and provide an inverse, but near identical example of the bonding. I would tell a child of mine, at age, how to approach the game and if he loved it, great, he'd come back for more. Odds are given genes, it'd happen. Which then would require an entire conversation about sports and gambling.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: