Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I am hoping some stooper got $5978 about 30 years ago, because I think unclaimed tickets go to the state and California already (where I lived then) gets enough unearned money.

Here is the story I believe I told here before. Los Alamitos harness somewhere around 1986. If I liked the pick six it was common of me to put in 2 horses a race and play for $128. Usually a chalky early foot type then a mid priced or long shot type who wins if the race falls apart. First two legs of the pick six I lost two $200 win bets also bet on the top pick six selections and my backs up didn't win either. At 0-2 on the pick six I pitched the ticket in the trash but kept the program and headed the 90 miles home.

Looking in the next mornings paper at the results I saw crazy prices the rest of the night and thought, glad I bailed I would have lost over $1,000 instead of $500. Come to find out those crazy prices were my second choices on my pick six ticket. So what 4 of 6 never pays anything. I look at the very bottom of the results, it says 2 tickets with 4 winners paid $5978.00. I had tossed a $5978.00 ticket in the trash, took a while to get over than mistake, I was all of 25 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I have had this happen a couple times to me, while not on the same scale. Now I hold onto everything.
The bad part was that would have been my single record day cashing up till then and another 10+ years. The good part thanks to TVG it never happened again. Had a 3 of 4 pay on a Pick 4 at EMD a dozen years ago, I know full well I probably would have tossed that one also if at the track. It paid $600, fortunately TVG would not allow me to throw it away.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #17
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I am at the point where I think I am going to start printing phonebooks too! Any cost control tips?
Buy a laser printer, I use Brother brand, they always have a basic model on sale for $60 or less. Use high capacity toner cartridges and shop on Amazon for inexpensive non-OEM brands, though I never use the very cheapest due to too many bad reviews, I order mid-price cartridges which are still less than half the price of Brother cartridges. I have gone through dozens of these with never a problem.

I print in "toner save mode" which is almost indistinguishable print quality from regular mode but yields perhaps an extra 1,000 pages per cartridge.

When your printer says it is time to change the drum, which costs more then a new printer, don't do it if the print quality still looks fine.

I figure it costs me less than $0.45 to print each card.

~Alan Watts

Last edited by therussmeister; 05-24-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: damned spell-checker!
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
letswastemoney

DRF is too expensive these days. I'm not surprised if people steal them off tables or look for them in trashcans.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #19
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I am at the point where I think I am going to start printing phonebooks too! Any cost control tips?
Play from home with a multiple monitor setup I pay $60 a month for unlimited DRF programs. No need for me to print anything.

Heres what I do on a daily basis. I have 2 monitors dedicated for my programs and download every program in there own tab. I look up the Twin Spires simulcast calendar and download the tracks according to post time. I alternate between monitors so in the end I have basically the same number of programs on each one. On Monday and Tuesday 6-7 minutes tops and Friday-Sunday 30-35 minutes tops. When a track runs there last race just close the tab.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 04:21 AM   #20
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliksealy210 View Post
If you can't afford the form, you can't afford to bet...
BRIS files cost $1.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 PM   #21
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I was amazed by the whole thing when it was uncovered. They could have flown under the radar for a while taking thousands and no one would have noticed.
Volponi and Domedriver made sure they couldn't fly under the radar.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #22
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
BRIS files cost $1.
Is that $1 per Track card or $1 unlimited track cards per day....? I assume the former...it is like one needs BOTH to get a better picture..

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 05-25-2017 at 10:56 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #23
WP1981

Los Al has an issue on busy days where the upstairs SAMs spit out your voucher several seconds after your ticket. There are guys that sit there and pounce the second you walk away. They run to a teller and cash them quick.

I caught a $60 and $79 voucher by getting it tracked and cancelled but missed a $316 one as it had already been cashed.

The crummy thing is that they knew it was mine from the tickets in my possession but could do nothing about it. I say go to the cameras and arrest these guys.
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1981 View Post
Los Al has an issue on busy days where the upstairs SAMs spit out your voucher several seconds after your ticket. There are guys that sit there and pounce the second you walk away. They run to a teller and cash them quick.

I caught a $60 and $79 voucher by getting it tracked and cancelled but missed a $316 one as it had already been cashed.

The crummy thing is that they knew it was mine from the tickets in my possession but could do nothing about it. I say go to the cameras and arrest these guys.
It's probably not possible in most instances to use the cameras, but when you do get the ticket cancelled before it is cashed, they should perma-bar the person who tries to cash the voucher after that.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #25
Baron Star Gregg

I keep all of my tickets for tax purposes. Once my wife left them unattended while she went to bet one of the later races. A stooper came along a took our stack of losers. They were obviously not abandoned. They may not have been worth anything to them but it was theft just the same.
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: