Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #151
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
By Frank Angst | March 15, 2018, 3:23 PM
Louisiana Horsemen Aim to Strengthen Aftercare Support:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ercare-support

Quote:
Lawmakers are considering changes after stories and social media posts showed Thoroughbreds who had raced at Delta Downs in kill pens. Industry groups also are rallying to put additional safety nets in place.

The issues in Louisiana proved a timely topic for a panel on aftercare at the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association convention March 15 in New Orleans.

Louisiana HBPA president Benard Chatters said his organization supports the proposed legislation, which would have all horsemen participate in a program of financial support for aftercare that could be based on a per-start basis or a commitment from purse earnings.

I guarantee you that industry stakeholders have read every post in this thread - and find the situation every bit as intolerable as I do.

-jp

Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM   #152
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Because the Louisiana horsemen need the lousy 300-bucks.
humane euthanasia -$150, kill buyer +$300, that's a $450 dollar swing on a backside where you couldn't find a $10 bill with a search warrant.

Then you have to pay somebody to haul off a dead horse.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #153
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
humane euthanasia -$150, kill buyer +$300, that's a $450 dollar swing on a backside where you couldn't find a $10 bill with a search warrant.

Then you have to pay somebody to haul off a dead horse.
If a $10 bill is that scarce on the Louisiana backstretch...then the inhabitants thereof should find new hobbies, or new places of employment. Leave the game in the hands of those with some cash in their pockets.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #154
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Why is humane euthanasia not an option then?
Because it costs money...plus the cost of disposing of a rather large carcass.

I'm not excusing what is happening. Just explaining the mindset here...the guys that are dumping these horses probably aren't flush with cash...they are racing horses who can't run...and risking (however small the risk, apparently) getting caught selling to the killers because they probably can't afford to do anything else with these horses...and they aren't going to spend the time and effort they think it will take to find a home for them.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-17-2018 at 02:31 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #155
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Because it costs money...plus the cost of disposing of a rather large carcass.

Just explaining the mindset here...the guys that are dumping these horses probably aren't flush with cash...they are racing horses who can't run...
I used to marvel at how Delta and Evangeline could have full 10-horse fields on a day when Belmont averaged six.

And now I know. It happens only through the most generous definition of "trainer" and "owner."
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #156
Mulerider

The gray horse you see in post #150, standing in Thompson's Kill Lot waiting for his trailer ride to Mexico three days from now, is Colt's Dream. A six-year-old maiden, this grandson of Secretariat raced at Delta Downs one week ago today. Three days later he went through Dominique's Livestock Auction, a facility widely known to be a favorite shopping facility for kill buyers. The high bidder was Jacob Thompson.

Clearly his connections made no attempt to re-home this horse; neither could these particular connections be considered "backyard." The trainer has over 11,000 starts. The owner has owned multiple horses for many years.

I find it highly unlikely that these connections were unaware that they were running this horse through a dangerous ring; I also think it is highly unlikely that they don't know Jacob Thompson either through reputation or on sight.

If either Jake E. Leger, trainer, or Taminy Doucet, owner, were present at this auction during the bidding then I believe it is likely that they were in violation on Delta's prohibition of selling a horse to slaughter, as defined in Rule 23 of Delta's 2017-2018 Thoroughbred Stall Application.

Not that Delta will investigate it when it's brought to their attention.

Last edited by Mulerider; 03-18-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #157
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
The gray horse you see in post #150, standing in Thompson's Kill Lot waiting for his trailer ride to Mexico three days from now, is Colt's Dream. A six-year-old maiden, this grandson of Secretariat raced at Delta Downs one week ago today. Three days later he went through Dominique's Livestock Auction, a facility widely known to be a favorite shopping facility for kill buyers. The high bidder was Jacob Thompson.

Clearly his connections made no attempt to re-home this horse; neither could these particular connections be considered "backyard." The trainer has over 11,000 starts. The owner has owned multiple horses for many years.

I find it highly unlikely that these connections were unaware that they were running this horse through a dangerous ring; I also think it is highly unlikely that they don't know Jacob Thompson either through reputation or on sight.

If either Jake E. Leger, trainer, or Taminy Doucet, owner, were present at this auction during the bidding then I believe it is likely that they were in violation on Delta's prohibition of selling a horse to slaughter, as defined in Rule 23 of Delta's 2017-2018 Thoroughbred Stall Application.

Not that Delta will investigate it when it's brought to their attention.
Small correction, the horses name is Colt's Secret. And really do not care if they were at the auction or not. Both the owner and trainer have been in this business long enough to know what is happening.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #158
Mulerider

Thanks, Jay. Colt's Secret and the other 10 in the kill lot have now been rescued.

You're right about the connections; I would just like confirmation that one or both were at the auction so I can press Delta on the matter.

Mule
Old 03-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #159
thaskalos

In a kinder, more thoughtful world...Dina Alborado would be receiving Eclipse awards for the work that she does.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #160
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Small correction, the horses name is Colt's Secret. And really do not care if they were at the auction or not. Both the owner and trainer have been in this business long enough to know what is happening.
The owner of Colt's Secret, Taminy Doucet, apparently sold the horse to a Jesse Wimberly shortly after Colt's last race on Saturday the 10th. A couple of days later Colt's Secret was in Dominique's Livestock Auction in Opelousas, a notorious meat auction. Contacted by phone today, Wimberly said, "Yes, I wish I could have found a good home for him, but I just have too many..."

That statement, of course, begs the question of why he would buy another horse if he already has too many. A cynic might suggest that Doucet conspired with Wimberly to unload the horse for her so she could avoid sanction by Delta's no-slaughter rule, such as it is.

And I'm a cynic.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #161
jay68802

Be a cynic, fine by me. I'm sure this probably happened with a lot, if not all the horses. The connections are just doing a end run around the rules in the state. May be the rule should be changed and hold the connections responsible for 90 days after the sale. Make the buyer have some money invested in feed and care, and the quick sale will not be as profitable.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #162
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If that is what is happening, and I don't doubt it, it makes it even sadder. Surely the middle man is getting a cut, so these people are doing it for even less than $300.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #163
Mulerider

One owner/trainer of a filly among the rescued Delta 24 said by phone yesterday, "She wasn't REALLY our racehorse; we were just a paper owner and paper trainer."

I'm not even sure what that means.

But it sounds like it has the potential to violate this:

§501. Fraudulent Registration of Horse: A. Any person or persons fraudulently registering, or attempting to fraudulently register, a thoroughbred with the Jockey Club of New York... shall be denied a license, or have his license revoked - Louisiana Racing Commission

Or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited by Mulerider; 03-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #164
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Or am I misunderstanding?
Paper trainer meaning they don't really do anything other than lend their name for the sake of getting entered and then likely show up to saddle on race day. The person doing the 'training' has no license and likely isn't even on track. Also known as a 'beard'.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #165
Mulerider

Yes, I get the training part... it's the "paper owner" I don't understand. Are they saying they registered the horse in their names with the JC, but the horse actually belongs to someone else? I can't imagine that the JC registration process doesn't require some sort of affidavit in which the applicant must attest to actual ownership, but I really know nothing about the registration procedure.

Mule

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: