Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Interested in physics?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#2f55c0949a79

I have a small hobby of reading about and studying physics. Finding physics examples in everyday life is fun, and drives my wife crazy when I point it out. she just stares at me....

But this article is pointing toward what may be a real answer to a problem...... I hope they learn something.

Btw, dark matter is a joke......
Old 10-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

I have a small hobby of reading about and studying physics. Finding physics examples in everyday life is fun, and drives my wife crazy when I point it out. she just stares at me....

But this article is pointing toward what may be a real answer to a problem...... I hope they learn something.

Great article. Thanks! I'm a science junkie as well. Amazing to me is that all the forces in the universe and how they interact with us in the physical world were created at the Beginning and do not change. However, the next "Big Bang" may create a completely different universe with different gravity and atoms.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Isn't dark matter basically the modern day "ether?"

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-27-2018 at 08:31 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
098poi

YouTube has a ton of great physics, chemistry, math, science videos. This is pretty cool.

098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Well, physics are what we know on Earth regarding our nature and surroundings. Our physics we know on Earth don't exactly or easily extrapolate to the rest of our entire galaxy.

Space is an entirely other subject without gravity and devoid of temperature.

I love living in the Midwest and I can look up in the sky at night and see an array of stars. Thousands that I can actually see much less the other billions out thare. Kind of puts you in your place, but also makes you appreciate the greatness of what we have.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #6
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Well, physics are what we know on Earth regarding our nature and surroundings. Our physics we know on Earth don't exactly or easily extrapolate to the rest of our entire galaxy.

Space is an entirely other subject without gravity and devoid of temperature.

I love living in the Midwest and I can look up in the sky at night and see an array of stars. Thousands that I can actually see much less the other billions out thare. Kind of puts you in your place, but also makes you appreciate the greatness of what we have.
The entire universe is full of gravity, and it acts in a common manner.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Agreed. Whenever we don't understand something, we make something up. Dark matter smells like that.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #8
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Not quite. I think what might be "closer" to the Newtonian classical physics "ether", might be on the sub atomic quantum level.

"Closer" used loosely

There is the concept of "virtual" particles and "quantum fluctuation", where things on the quantum level pop in and out of existence. A concept based on Werner Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

This allows the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs of virtual particles. The effects of these particles are measurable, for example, in the effective charge of the electron, different from its "naked" charge. Amazingly the Casimir effect demonstrates this experimentally.

The typical example is of the two uncharged conductive plates in a vacuum, placed a few nanometers apart. In a classical description, the lack of an external field means that there is no field between the plates, and no force would be measured between them.[8] When this field is instead studied using the quantum electrodynamic vacuum, it is seen that the plates do affect the virtual photons which constitute the field, and generate a net force[9]
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2018, 01:35 AM   #9
hcap

Sort of implies that creation of reality is not yet finises. At any one instant in time, roughly 1/2 the matter in the universe exists ant the other 1/2 does not.

I guess flux as in "quantum fluctuation" is a god description
Old 10-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #10
Marshall Bennett

Physics is definitely the bonding force in the universe. I'm far from convinced however that physics holds all the answers to what we do not understand about it. Astronomy is still based largely on theory and actual observation.
Btw..I sold my home on Lake Livingston and moved to Riverside near Huntsville. Didn't buy, but went with a 1 year lease since the house is within walking distance of the Trinity River. Three days later massive flow from Dallas area arrived and the river sent me 10 inch deep water thru-out home. I'm helping the owner repair the damage now. First time house flooded since 1978 when it was built.
I actually feel lucky having not completely moved in. Owner still wants to sell it. Hmmm...okay, good luck with that.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #11
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
Physics is definitely the bonding force in the universe. I'm far from convinced however that physics holds all the answers to what we do not understand about it. Astronomy is still based largely on theory and actual observation.
"I know that I know nothing" is a saying derived from Plato's account of the Greek philosopher Socrates. It is also called the Socratic paradox.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Things that make you hmmm.

Using a see-saw to explain gravity and orbits.

Our Earth does not orbit the Sun (technically). Jupiter does not orbit the Sun at all... in no way does the planet Jupiter Orbit our Sun.

All objects with a mass have gravity and all things with mass orbit the common mathematical center of the nearest more powerful object. Hence why our moon orbits earth and not the sun.

Jupiter orbits a point that is just outside the Suns Surface. ( 1/1000th of the distance between the Sun and Jupiter)

Earth orbits a point that is just outside the Sun's Center.

When two bodies of equal mass are gravitationally locked, they do not orbit at all. They wobble because the common center of mass is equal distance from their center.

To understand this, imagine the person on the right is the Sun, and the person on the left is the planet Jupiter.

The 40 pound Jupiter on the left Orbits the point of the Center Of Balance between the 160 pound Sun and its 40 pound self.

This also helps understand why most orbits are elliptical.

Last edited by Suff; 10-28-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

This Video explains it visually. 1 minute 30 sec.

Another Hmmmm..
Knowing that an object orbits the gravitational center of the larger body, it then raises the question... What does our Sun Orbit?

We theorize that Our Sun orbits the Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Using the earths estimated age of 4.5 billion years.
  • The Suns orbit around the Black Hole is ~225 million years
  • 225 million * 20 =four billion five hundred million

20 full orbits to our 4.5 billion full orbits.

That indicates that our Sun is very young in Astronomical terms.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
The entire universe is full of gravity, and it acts in a common manner.

No. It doesn't.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:34 PM   #15
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
This Video explains it visually. 1 minute 30 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjsZedLmK1U

Another Hmmmm..
Knowing that an object orbits the gravitational center of the larger body, it then raises the question... What does our Sun Orbit?

We theorize that Our Sun orbits the Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Using the earths estimated age of 4.5 billion years.
  • The Suns orbit around the Black Hole is ~225 million years
  • 225 million * 20 =four billion five hundred million

20 full orbits to our 4.5 billion full orbits.

That indicates that our Sun is very young in Astronomical terms.

Our universe/galaxy/etc is still expanding. There is no center for everything to orbit around.

The only orbit is the nearest huge object. For us. That would be the Sun.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: