Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #16
elhelmete

I get pin fired at the acupuncturist. Truly.
She will put a needle in me and put a chunk of burning moxa on the end of it so the heat shoots way down. Feels great.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #17
Andy Asaro

When pin firing or freeze firing occurs it actually helps with the blood circulation in the splints and produces healing and strengthening in bones.

It used to be used quite a bit in 80’s and 90’s with most 2-year olds that popped a splint. The first course of action was always trying to blister the affected area to help the injury.

Personally was never of it, but it did strengthen the two year olds that were in barns that used it. As for blistering never a fan until I had a OTTB that blew a suspensory. Blistered him and he healed up so well that he was a serviceable team penning horse and cross country horse.

Andy V.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #18
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
You did this shit-stirring for a bogus reason... and you put negativity out towards Ernie B, Zayat, Baffert etc...

It's annoying

get your stuff together man

take a look at someone like 'Stormin Monarchos' and make sure you know both sides of the story and then you may have something valuable.

raise your game up.
This was already out there. I want to get to the truth. Waiting to hear from the CHRB. Whatever they say I will put out there. And yes I was/am stirring the pot. But it's an easy thing to address for the CHRB.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #19
Andy Asaro

Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This thread is kind of silly, no? And who the hell is CarleyG? And why is Andy Asaro acting as if he just got into horse racing?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #21
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
This thread is kind of silly, no? And who the hell is CarleyG? And why is Andy Asaro acting as if he just got into horse racing?
It was all over twitter and I just want to get to the answer. I provided an article about it and varying opinions.

Did I jump the gun cuz I wanted a controversy? Maybe. Once I hear from the CHRB I'll fall on my sword and admit to being an idiot and apologize to the connections if there's nothing to it.

BTW the only Trainer I have talked to on the phone said he/she has rarely done it over the years. And if he/she did it the horse would be given plenty of time off. The article says up to a year but that sounds extreme to me. We'll see.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-09-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

I think you've got some talent with promoting web media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
It was all over twitter and I just want to get to the answer. I provided an article about it and varying opinions.

Did I jump the gun cuz I wanted a controversy? Maybe. Once I hear from the CHRB I'll fall on my sword and admit to being an idiot and apologize to the connections if there's nothing to it.

BTW the only Trainer I have talked to on the phone said he/she has rarely done it over the years. And if he/she did it the horse would be given plenty of time off. The article says up to a year but that sounds extreme to me. We'll see.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #23
Andy Asaro

Email blast

Want to apologize to the Baffert’s and the Zayat’s. I should have waited and not run with the story.

A

Andy, here is Dr. Arthur’s response.

There is no prohibition with thermocautery, or pin firing, including “freeze firing,” in California. Nor is there any requirement nor reason such a treatment would require a horse to be placed on the Veterinarian’s List. Most ailments where a veterinarian may recommend freeze firing are most often minor in nature. There is no residual analgesic effect. Don’t confuse freeze firing with freeze nerving. Freeze nerving is prohibited. There are no superficially accessible nerves located in the area shown in the photo being circulated that was freeze fired. The AAEP’s position is “Thermocautery may have therapeutic value for certain conditions in the horse. When applied judiciously and in conjunction with appropriate analgesia and aftercare, the AAEP considers the modality an acceptable form of therapy in cases that have proven refractory to conventional treatment.”

I'm officially an idiot.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #24
chadk66

It's always comical when people are spouting off about things they know virtually nothing about
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
It's always comical when people are spouting off about things they know virtually nothing about
happens a lot more when there is an agenda attached.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Good post Spalding. We should hear from the CHRB tomorrow.
Hear from the CHRB about what?

This is a ridiculous thread (both here and on Twitter). As stated, this is a nothing-burger. Even if one is averse to pin-firing (as compared to freeze-firing which is kinder), there are times when pin-firing is needed. Sometimes a horse simply will not get over a bone issue until it's pin-fired.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #27
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:

No offense, but OMG, Andy. No one takes a year off because they pin-fired or freeze-fired. You really should've researched this topic before you embarrassed yourself by calling the CHRB. You realize they're going to pass this around laughing hysterically, right?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #28
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
No offense, but OMG, Andy. No one takes a year off because they pin-fired or freeze-fired. You really should've researched this topic before you embarrassed yourself by calling the CHRB. You realize they're going to pass this around laughing hysterically, right?
The article says up to a year. And yes a year sounded crazy to me. I figured 2-3 months. Yes, I embarrassed myself and apologized on twitter, here, and my email list.

Most people don't know about pin or freeze firing. When Carly G first brought it up she supplied the article. And yes, I should have asked Dr. Arthur first.

It happens. And at some point it will likely happen again.

Ashley Zayat accepted the apology.

Ashley Zayat liked your reply 14h14 hours ago

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 11-10-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #29
chadk66

If a horse had to have a year off from pinfiring it would never be done.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #30
GMB@BP

Lets be honest this had nothing to with pin firing, or caring about Solomini, it had to do with a personal issue he has with the trainer and thought he had some kind of "gotcha".

Personally I did not reply right away and wanted to see how many times he could reply to himself without anyone else participating, I think its a new PA record.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: