Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #16
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil
We had $60 bleacher seats yesterday for Zenyatta's race. My husband figured this "higher class of people" would be forgiving, realize we were all there for the same reason, and let people up to the fence to take a picture of Z. And that's what I wanted more than anything, a semi-decent picture with my lame camera, but no, folks weren't understanding - more specifically, WOMENfolk. For some reason, kindness, understanding and common sense had disappeared and standing at the fence became synonymous with bleacher seats. They couldn't get any Churchill staff to agree with them, but it didn't matter. I guess I should have stood on the empty bleacher (on their ACTUAL seats), but I wasn't the one trying to start a fight.

I understand why the middle class has this attitude, but it doesn't excuse it. The rail, or the fence (whatever you want to call it) is public access, first come first serve, you cannot reserve it. Wanting people to act out of love instead of fear is not gonna happen at a racetrack, I guess. I'll never understand what I was taking away from these women....there was plenty of room for all of us. And I can't understand the kind of person who wants to take joy away from someone else.
You made a choice when you decided to wait to get close enough for a good photo opportunity. If your number one reason for being there was to get a great photograph of Z at CDX then you should have taken care of that with better planning. Lack of planning on your part does not make it an emergency.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
WinterTriangle

My feeling is that if somebody really wants to see a horse, get a really good photo, or get a jockey autograph, trying to fulfill those desisres on one of the biggest race days of the year is probably a bad choice.
The only way to really be assured of a good shot or touch of a horse you like is to make an appt. at their barn or their farm if breeding/retired.

(Somebody I know called Shirreff's barn at HOL and they were quite gracious about letting this person get up close and personal with Z this week by appt.)

I would never have my heart set on getting a good photo, etc. on a big race day, unless I had press credentials and a really good set of photo equipment. Too many other people with desires, interests, etc. to compete against, and the pressures in general on a day like BCC ---- I guess I feel I'd have to just "get lucky" to have it all come together in a way that would be satisfying.

I know that doesn't make your disappointment any less palpable though, NJ. Even "good planning" is often not enough to make things happen in life
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Linny

If it's an SRO area, then it's first come first served. I attend the races almost every day of the Saratoga meet and on big race days folks are often 3 or 4 deep near the paddock or the path to the track or at the gap or along the homestretch rail. For the Travers you need to stake a claim to fenceline space pretty early in the day if you want to be near the starting gate or finish line. If someone stands in the hot sun for 3 hrs to get a decent photo of their favorite horse-foregoing food and bathroom breaks and betting, then they have every right to be mad if you decide at post time that you have as much rigt to that space as they do.

Also, $60 seats at the Breeders' Cup are the cheap seats. last time I attended in person my bleacher seats at Monmouth were $200.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #19
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
No, the rude women were in the $60/seat section also. I did stand at the fence, they just bitched about it, claiming I was in someone's seat. Even though there was no bleacher behind me. Atypical of the generosity of Americans.
FTFY.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
FTFY.
???

Face The Facts, Yankee
Five, Ten, Fifteen, Yikes
For The Fortunately Young
Fortunately That Fooled You
Feel The Fever Yourself

???
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Fixed That For You
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Fixed That For You
and it this case what exactly does that mean?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #23
MNslappy

Quote:
No, the rude women were in the $60/seat section also. I did stand at the fence, they just bitched about it, claiming I was in someone's seat. Even though there was no bleacher behind me. Typical selfish, greedy Americans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
No, the rude women were in the $60/seat section also. I did stand at the fence, they just bitched about it, claiming I was in someone's seat. Even though there was no bleacher behind me. Atypical of the generosity of Americans.
see, Cardus has fixed NJDevil's post here
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Learned Hand35

I wonder if on some other messageboard, a lady who waiting at her spot on the fence for hours is complaining about the obnoxious and pushy woman who shoved her way through just before the Classic started:

"I can't believe how rude some people are! I can tell by her accent that she was a typical abnoxious jerk from Jersey."

Personally, I have found a certain number of people will be rude and selfish no matter the nationality, race, color, creed, or gender.

Stereotyping is the quickest way to lose credibility when making an argument or relating a bad experience.

Last edited by Learned Hand35; 11-09-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Learned Hand35 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #25
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learned Hand35
I wonder if on some other messageboard, a lady who waiting at her spot on the fence for hours is complaining about the obnoxious and pushy woman who shoved her way through just before the Classic started:

"I can't believe how rude some people are! I can tell by her accent that she was a typical abnoxious jerk from Jersey."

Personally, I have found a certain number of people will be rude and selfish no matter the nationality, race, color, creed, or gender.

Stereotyping is the quickest way to lose credibility when making an argument or relating a bad experience.
Exactamundo! You KNOW there are two sides to this story. I find it really hard to believe people were "so rude" without provocation.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #26
DJofSD
Screw PC

I finally watched some of the ESPN broadcast from Saturday that I had skipped over previously. There was a short segment where there was shown the line of people on the backstretch waiting for Zen just to walk by at the begining of the walk over. I'm sure some of them had to rearrange their schedules, work extra hard/fast in order to set aside the time so they could then stand on line. This must have been a couple of hours before the race started.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
and it this case what exactly does that mean?
If you read the "quote" directly above the FTFY, you will note that it differs slightly from the original...sounds even more silly when you sit down and explain it, doesn't it?
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: