Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #16
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
I made my first future book Derby bet since 1995 (Tejano Run) this year. I have $100 on FIRING LINE at 125-1. I was a bit surprised to see him in the Los Alamitos Futurity as Simon Callaghan told me via a twitter exchange that he was leaning towards the Sham. Apparently, this colt is doing very good. I think a good 2nd behind Dortmund would be a step in the right direction (or, of course, beating Dortmund would be better).

His sire, Line of David, was best going long and won the 2010 Arkansas Derby at 17-1 over next out Kentucky Derby winner, Super Saver.

His dam, Sister Girl Blues, was 2nd in the G1 2003 Vanity by two lengths to the great, Azeri, at 1M 1/8.

Also a couple of generations back on the female family tree is superstar filly Gorgeous. She won the G1 Ashland, G1 Hol Oaks, G1 Vanity and G2 Apple Blossom. She was also 2nd in the 1989 BC Distaff.

I guess we'll see if he's the real deal on Saturday.
He moves like a true route horse, he can be any kind of horse if managed properly.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #17
castaway01

If you get bored this winter in looking for future bets, you can also just take your money in your backyard and light it on fire. That will get rid of it even faster.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01
If you get bored this winter in looking for future bets, you can also just take your money in your backyard and light it on fire. That will get rid of it even faster.
Kind of a sad way to look at it.

One can make a fairly small wager with some very high rewards of odds well over 100/1 on some quality young horses still in their early development stages.

Then, if lucky enough, one can follow them along the Kentucky Derby trail over the next 4 months with a rooting interest as if they own a piece of the horse (albeit small, and with zero input).

Sounds kind of fun to me for such a small risk.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I made my first future book Derby bet since 1995 (Tejano Run) this year. I have $100 on FIRING LINE at 125-1. I was a bit surprised to see him in the Los Alamitos Futurity as Simon Callaghan told me via a twitter exchange that he was leaning towards the Sham. Apparently, this colt is doing very good. I think a good 2nd behind Dortmund would be a step in the right direction (or, of course, beating Dortmund would be better).

His sire, Line of David, was best going long and won the 2010 Arkansas Derby at 17-1 over next out Kentucky Derby winner, Super Saver.

His dam, Sister Girl Blues, was 2nd in the G1 2003 Vanity by two lengths to the great, Azeri, at 1M 1/8.

Also a couple of generations back on the female family tree is superstar filly Gorgeous. She won the G1 Ashland, G1 Hol Oaks, G1 Vanity and G2 Apple Blossom. She was also 2nd in the 1989 BC Distaff.

I guess we'll see if he's the real deal on Saturday.
Firing Line is the real deal.
This is certainly a must see race.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
overthehill

i think you got a good deal assuming he is healthy enough to run on derby day. about as impressive in defeat as a horse can be.
overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
sbcaris

pretty polly in tail female

Valento: Interestingly, Firing Line carries Pretty Polly in tail female. Although Pretty Polly is a superlative conduit mare, her descendants in tail female have never won a Triple Crown event. She is famous for having many tail female descendants win major route races on the turf in Europe. Invasor, however, who has Pretty Polly in tail female did win the BC Classic.
sbcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #22
Track Phantom

My slant is almost certainly tainted here but I'd have to say I was most impressed with FIRING LINE of the three. However, all three runners ran a huge race.

MR. Z. iss a hard knocker but he did get the inside all the way around and had a huge experience edge on both FIRING LINE and DORTMUND.

DORTMUND had the ideal pace set-up but didn't quicken on the turn and in the lane like I expected during the running. Having said that, he showed grit and gameness to get up.

FIRING LINE was wide early, in between throughout and bumped multiple times by MR. Z. If I had to pick one horse from that race to own, it would be him.

The Derby is a long way away and it is odds-on that two of the three, if not all three don't make it in the gate in the Derby. That's what makes the future bets tough. You get nothing for second.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #23
Spiderman

Quote:
My slant is almost certainly tainted here but I'd have to say I was most impressed with FIRING LINE of the three. However, all three runners ran a huge race.

MR. Z. iss a hard knocker but he did get the inside all the way around and had a huge experience edge on both FIRING LINE and DORTMUND.

DORTMUND had the ideal pace set-up but didn't quicken on the turn and in the lane like I expected during the running. Having said that, he showed grit and gameness to get up.

FIRING LINE was wide early, in between throughout and bumped multiple times by MR. Z. If I had to pick one horse from that race to own, it would be him.

The Derby is a long way away and it is odds-on that two of the three, if not all three don't make it in the gate in the Derby. That's what makes the future bets tough. You get nothing for second.
Firing Line did all of the running and was impressive to continue through the stretch. His best style would be to lay back 4-5 lengths and make winning move.

You now have greater value in the futures bet. FL will probably go to 50-1 at Vegas books.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Firing Line did all of the running and was impressive to continue through the stretch. His best style would be to lay back 4-5 lengths and make winning move.

You now have greater value in the futures bet. FL will probably go to 50-1 at Vegas books.
If Dortmund was between 9-1 and 12-1 prior to winning, I'd say Firing Line will open up next at 25-1.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
SpotPlays

A game of skill updates the Wynn Las Vegas odds every couple of weeks

http://agameofskill.com/2015-kentuck...ure-book-odds/
SpotPlays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #26
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag
So any thoughts on Cozmic One vs. Jess's Dream?

I guess we should start off by asking who everyone thought was better, Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta?
Ok...You guys on this side get swords and shields.....
You guys on that side get those big spiked cannon ball lookin things that are chained to a stick.....
Have at it!!!!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #27
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
Oy Vey............

It's like the old Miller Light commercials of tastes great vs. less filling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FaLQbg8Ch0
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply