Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #46
porchy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
KJV? What does this have to do with anything?

I stand by what I said: The pope is willfully ignorant of the scriptures in any translation. Capital punishment was actually instituted by God and has never been nullified.
It is painfully divisive that there are hundreds or thousands of Protestant denominations (and growing). All have one thing in common is that they have the correct interpretation of the bible.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2018, 07:39 PM   #47
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
It is painfully divisive that there are hundreds or thousands of Protestant denominations (and growing). All have one thing in common is that they have the correct interpretation of the bible.
I can't speak for the "hundreds or thousands" but I'm comfortable with my understanding of scripture.

And, by the way, if you think the "hundreds" or "thousands" are big numbers, what about the billions of unbelievers who don't have the first clue what the bible is about?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #48
dnlgfnk

Quote:
KJV? What does this have to do with anything?

I stand by what I said: The pope is willfully ignorant of the scriptures in any translation. Capital punishment was actually instituted by God and has never been nullified.
There are those of us within Catholicism who are unsettled by Pope Francis' seemingly intentional ambiguity and theological imprecision. However, willful ignorance of the scriptures is not in play.

His defenders (E. Christian Brugger, Robert Fastiggi, Robert George, et.al.) and objectors alike (Ed Feser, Joseph Bessette, Michael Dougherty, Phil Lawler, et.al.) within the inside baseball discussion currently underway, are tossing around ample scriptural support for both sides, as did Pope John Paul II (Evangelium Vitae, of which Pope Francis is certainly acquainted, though Francis is going farther [and if he is not, why the restatement, we ask.])

Since the issue is being framed only in light of the capacity to protect civilians today (even in 3rd world countries?) rather than the adjoining issue within Catholic tradition of applying justice, I side with those challenging this action...

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2018...unishment.html
Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #49
porchy44

Quote:
I can't speak for the "hundreds or thousands" but I'm comfortable with my understanding of scripture.

And, by the way, if you think the "hundreds" or "thousands" are big numbers, what about the billions of unbelievers who don't have the first clue what the bible is about?
Your first paragraph is neither denying or verifying my comment about divisiveness of protestant denominations. But I will give you the second paragraph brother (Christian).
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #50
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
We need to start executing pedophile priests.

Put the fear of God in ‘em.
I'm anti death penalty, but given that it still exists, then that's OK as long as you include the pedophiles in Hollywood and Washington.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #51
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Is the Catholic church becoming more political by leaps and bounds or is it just my imagination? I am not religious, just an observation.
It's not necessarily becoming more political. The new pope is just expressing a lot of views that are not Catholic.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #52
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Only God can take life voluntarily.Thus no abortion, suicide or capital punishment.Pretty clear and consistent.

That's the teaching of the Catholic Church, the ONLY church founded by God,unlike the other Christian denominations, that were inspired by either a pissed off German or an English wife-murdering king.Sorry, but them's the facts.

Also as far as capital punishment is concerned since it's carried out by governments, it'd be difficult NOT to be political if the goal is to end it.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2018, 10:42 PM   #53
coachv30

It's not a coincidence why some movies like 'True Confessions" have plots that relate to crooked Catholicism.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #54
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Only God can take life voluntarily.Thus no abortion, suicide or capital punishment.Pretty clear and consistent.

That's the teaching of the Catholic Church, the ONLY church founded by God,unlike the other Christian denominations, that were inspired by either a pissed off German or an English wife-murdering king.Sorry, but them's the facts.

Also as far as capital punishment is concerned since it's carried out by governments, it'd be difficult NOT to be political if the goal is to end it.
The Catholic Church has never stated that capital punishment is intrinsically evil. That is up for grabs now with some, since Pope Francis has alluded to a "developed" understanding of human dignity..."harmonious development of doctrine” requires that new treatments on the death penalty “leave out positions in defense of arguments which now appear decisively contrary to the new understanding of Christian truth. ... It is necessary to reiterate that, no matter how serious the crime committed, the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attempt against the inviolability and dignity of the person.”

The question being bounced around in Catholic discussions is, "Does 'inadmissible' now mean 'intrinsically evil?'"
Old 08-06-2018, 11:42 PM   #55
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
The question being bounced around in Catholic discussions is, "Does 'inadmissible' now mean 'intrinsically evil?'"
The Catholic discussions currently are "how can we save ourselves when the darkness of our dirty deeds come to Light"...….Better have Francis step down soon, as The STORM is fast approaching.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #56
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Speaking of Catholics, anyone ever wonder why the Vatican's Audience Hall is shaped like a snake's head from the outside...and wowsa...check out the inside..

Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #57
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
The Catholic Church has never stated that capital punishment is intrinsically evil. That is up for grabs now with some, since Pope Francis has alluded to a "developed" understanding of human dignity..."harmonious development of doctrine” requires that new treatments on the death penalty “leave out positions in defense of arguments which now appear decisively contrary to the new understanding of Christian truth. ... It is necessary to reiterate that, no matter how serious the crime committed, the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attempt against the inviolability and dignity of the person.”

Does the Catholic Church (the "theological powers-to-be" therein) understand that God ordained human government and when he did, he also instituted capital punishment, and that neither the human administration of government here on earth or capital punishment that is administered by governments have been rescinded in the scriptures? Or does the church believe that human government was merely a process of man's evolution and, therefore, man has the authority to change the most fundamental rule of government, i..e capital punishment?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #58
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
Your first paragraph is neither denying or verifying my comment about divisiveness of protestant denominations. But I will give you the second paragraph brother (Christian).
And I did that intentionally for the first paragraph; for even blind squirrels will occasionally find a chestnut; therefore, how much more should some men, who have received the gift of sight from God, understand his Gospel, which is the core message of the entire bible?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #59
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Speaking of Catholics, anyone ever wonder why the Vatican's Audience Hall is shaped like a snake's head from the outside...and wowsa...check out the inside..

You're not suggesting that the RCC is the "seed"of the Serpent, are you?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:02 AM   #60
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Bump---Justice??

This doesn't look like good optics to me....Hypocrites at their best, with their leaders Kissinger and the Pope.

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply