Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
I'm thinking about a Kindle Fire, mainly for reading when I'm on the road. The Ipad is too big to put in a jacket pocket, and, the E-ink kindle that I have sucks for navigation, viz. entering a location number to find a page.

Any opinions?
iPad mini. But all iPads suck outdoors in direct sunlight. Unusable in direct sunlight
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Got a big wallet......

Try this tablet........20 inches

http://geekbeat.tv/4Ktablet
Now we're talking! That would suit my needs perfectly (I'm an ex-draftsman too - LOL That would be fun to mess with.) Now, can we work on the price a bit?

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Check this one out, it's a laptop rather than a tablet but man could I do some racing with it!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...andFWuXc-2bKKQ

Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Exactly right.
It's even more than the obvious faster/better hardware and newer software.

There's additions being introduced in the A7 and iOS. And while they are esoteric, as I read things, it will introduce a whole additional level of capability and speed to the environment. In essence, things that are now being done with explicit code paths in iOS will be pushed down into the firmware/microcode.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
It's even more than the obvious faster/better hardware and newer software.

There's additions being introduced in the A7 and iOS. And while they are esoteric, as I read things, it will introduce a whole additional level of capability and speed to the environment. In essence, things that are now being done with explicit code paths in iOS will be pushed down into the firmware/microcode.
64 bit will actually mean something on the IPad Air. The software will catch up very quickly

Just took delivery of the Asus Tablet...........play time
Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #36
badcompany

Quote:
iPad mini. But all iPads suck outdoors in direct sunlight. Unusable in direct sunlight
Can't justify the price for primarily a reader, especially since I have an Iphone5.

I'm reading good things about the Asus mini. It's in the same price range as the Fire.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You guys haven't lived until you ran Windows XP on one of these...remember when I had this at Saratoga one year?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117310

That was the bomb!

BTW, as I get older, there is no way my eyes could take one of these nowadays...lmao

This thing is only seven years old...and I still have it...and it still works...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Heck, I even had one of THESE back in the day...ran full DOS...lol

I was able to run my early version of PaceAdvantage software that I wrote in Visual Basic for DOS on it...oh man, these were the DAYS!! I was always on the cutting edge of tiny PCs...it ran on 4 AA batteries and I was able to process one race with my software in about 20 minutes or so...just enough time between races...

1MB of ram and it came with Lotus 123...

[yt="HP 100lx"]3zFG49uvLss[/yt]

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-09-2013 at 09:26 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #39
JustRalph
Just another Facist

great stuff.......... It's like the oldies but goodies channel on the radio
Old 11-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #40
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Well, I got jcapper running on the ASUS

That was fun.......... but not really that bad. If you know windows you can get past "path" errors...........

then again the program is not made for these small screens......and my fat fingers...........

this is going to be interesting
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #41
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You guys haven't lived until you ran Windows XP on one of these...remember when I had this at Saratoga one year?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117310

That was the bomb!

BTW, as I get older, there is no way my eyes could take one of these nowadays...lmao

This thing is only seven years old...and I still have it...and it still works...
What's ironic is that, at the time, these devices always seemed ultra-advanced.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #42
dlgreg

PC's from the past.
I still have one of these - Poqet PC Plus

see Wiki link for details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poqet_PC
dlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I've got jcapper working on the Asus T100

I am all in on Windows 8. Which means I have learned all the gestures and crap over the last few days. It works. But it's vastly inferior to IOS on the ipad.

Just my opine. Still 50/50 on whether I will keep the ASUS. It works but it's not much fun to use.......just because older legacy apps are slow on it. Jcapper doesn't scale to the high resolution. It makes all the buttons very small etc.

That makes it tough for a guy with fat fingers.

It does run but there are enough quirks that I am not sure it's worth it. We shall see........here's a pic just to show the size and scale of the device. Jcapper is running on the screen in desktop mode. So it won't pinch and zoom etc.

Last edited by JustRalph; 11-10-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #44
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I've got jcapper working on the Asus T100

I am all in on Windows 8. Which means I have learned all the gestures and crap over the last few days. It works. But it's vastly inferior to IOS on the ipad.

Just my opine. Still 50/50 on whether I will keep the ASUS. It works but it's not much fun to use.......just because older legacy apps are slow on it. Jcapper doesn't scale to the high resolution. It makes all the buttons very small etc.

That makes it tough for a guy with fat fingers.

It does run but there are enough quirks that I am not sure it's worth it. We shall see........here's a pic just to show the size and scale of the device. Jcapper is running on the screen in desktop mode. So it won't pinch and zoom etc.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't care for small screens, my eyes just aren't good enough anymore. I have the JCapper Silver software on my PC, with a 22" monitor, and the JCapper display you took the shot of isn't any easier to see on this screen. Maybe it's time for Jeff to do some mods? Also, all my spreadsheets are much too large for these small screens, that's why I created an additional "view", designed for better viewability and operation on smart phones, tablets, and smaller laptops.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I don't care for small screens, my eyes just aren't good enough anymore. I have the JCapper Silver software on my PC, with a 22" monitor, and the JCapper display you took the shot of isn't any easier to see on this screen. Maybe it's time for Jeff to do some mods? Also, all my spreadsheets are much too large for these small screens, that's why I created an additional "view", designed for better viewability and operation on smart phones, tablets, and smaller laptops.
The buttons on the original JCapper Main Module were designed to be clicked using a mouse - and decisions about their sizing were based on screen resolutions of 768 x 1024 (or thereabouts.)

With that out of the way, on to a little something I've been working on...

A menu for touch screens and/or monitors set at high screen resolution.

Looking at the image of the horse in the upper left hand area of the Main Module... when rendered on a tablet touch screen, it's just big enough that it can be used as a clickable UI element. (You should be able to click it with a tap of the finger.)

Here's the new behavior that I'm testing at my end:

Whenever the user clicks the image of the horse in the upper left hand area of the Main Module - or alternately if the user "grabs" the lower right hand border of the Main Module and drags it until the Main Module reaches about 2X its normal size...

At that point a new Tablet Menu pops up.

Here's a link to a screenshot so that you can see what it looks like compared to the regular Main Module:
http://www.jcapper.com/messageboard/...tabletmenu.jpg

At this point it's just a proof of concept project... a simple menu with clickable buttons mimicking those on the Main Module itslef. So far, during my testing, the new menu doesn't appear to add a whole lot in the way of new overhead. (Additional ram being used is minimal.)

After some further testing I'll probably publish it as part of an upcoming JCapper program update. Most likely eta would be around year end.

Eventually, touch screen devices and/or big monitors set at very high screen resolutions (compared to what was available not that long ago) are going to be the norm.

So yes, maybe it's time I did some mods.

-jp

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: