Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #61
REBel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
I really appreciate everyone's patience. I know there are problems and we are trying to get them worked out. Maybe it's amazing anything works at all since Doug and I are programming in different languages and combining things.

But Doug has done a great job with his program. Or maybe we should thank his wife...

Now to get a bit more serious....I have a question. If you were on the yellow brick road and got to ask the wizard for something...like maybe being able to change the points for the different columns and maybe weight the columns based on your own desires...is that something you might ask for and would you use it? Or are there other things you would ask for.....and listen you smart asses...don't say just make this one work...LOL Believe me I really want too!
Hope you know I'm just kidding as I was about the Dumbass notice..just having some fun. Anyway let me know what you think.

Handi
Handi:

Is it doable to be able to cut and paste your final 4 and odds into Excel? Would save some time on the user's end.

Thanks.
REBel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #62
dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasw32
On my end now it seems to be just the bris files that fail in handi's part not the TSN 50 centers??? anyone else?

Doug,
downloaded latest version and cby 7/25 tsn file works for races 1 thru 10 but crashes when trying to open race 11.
dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #63
Charli125

I don't use the program, but I just wanted to say that I'm very impressed with what you've created. You've basically taken the opinions/input of all interested parties on this board, and created software to help out in the handicapping process.

I can't think of anywhere else where I've seen this kind of thing. Well done guys!
Charli125 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #64
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'll second that - it has been fun watching you guys work this out and grow this program. Then, to share it with everyone - a big
Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #65
goforgin
goforgin

Two thumbs up on the effort of everyone involved. I monitor the progress on a daily basis. It's amazing watching what goes into building a software program. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #66
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Thank you guys for all the kind words. As I said before, this is Doug's baby and I'm just like one of those little fish you see tagging along with the shark in the ocean films.

When I offered to help I didn't realize what a blast this would be to do and be involved with as it has been. And everybody has been cool with the Dumbass notice.....can't help it, that just makes me laugh every time I think about it.

I have received some very good ideas on where to go from here...But my first effort will be to get done what Doug wants to see. I am working on that. And then we'll see what else we can do to this thing.

Plus I'm really trying hard to figure out this bris file thing. I have Bobby at Brisnet checking things plus waiting to hear from a coding team of Engineers in France.....Ok well one old guy trying to help sift through my code in Paris. The coding team things sure sounds better though.

Thanks for everybody's support and again Thank You Doug.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #67
csmith

I also want to thank both of you for the work you have put into this program. More than that I want to thank you for making the price of the program very affordable I also have some ideas about a wish list of things for the future but for now everything is great. The work both of you have done is very much appreciated here
Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #68
Roger
Veteran

Again, thank's for a very nice program Doug and Handi!
I use TSn Procaps files with PCS extension...Handis 8.5.1 will read the files from the Horse/data folder, but Doug's will not, and there is no option in the drop box to read all files...I wonder if there is a solution to this without changing the extension to DRF? Just a great job on this Program.

Thank's
Roger,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #69
applebee

Wink

I dont envy you guys, debuggin a program is hard and frustrating. You guys are doing a fine job.

Terry
applebee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #70
douglasw32
douglasw32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Again, thank's for a very nice program Doug and Handi!
I use TSn Procaps files with PCS extension...Handis 8.5.1 will read the files from the Horse/data folder, but Doug's will not, and there is no option in the drop box to read all files...I wonder if there is a solution to this without changing the extension to DRF? Just a great job on this Program.

Thank's
Roger,
That ones easy , I will make that work over the weekend.

BTW- All these good words from all the folks I hold in high respect is the motivation.

Like I said at the beginning, none of this would have been possible without the help I got on this very board...everyday something new, so thanks all of you.

Last edited by douglasw32; 07-24-2009 at 11:43 PM.
douglasw32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #71
AAcoolguy

A concern

I would like to voice a concern I have with all of the changes that are/have been taking place. I'm not a programmer and I have no clue as to what goes into programming so bear with me. I am afraid that we may end up with "just another program". I have been using FAST with some success and I like how the program works as is. Something was mentioned earlier about being able to change the weight of the points or being able to manipulate the information in the program. I feel the strength of the program is the FAST figure and if we are able to make changes we have lost the "unique-ness" of the program and might as well be using Beyer figs or BRIS figs or whatever.
Anyway, I hope this makes some sense. I have tried other programs where you can weight the different handicapping categories and I just wind up chasing what worked yesterday. Thanks.
AAcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #72
Viruss

MNR Results

GREAT!!!!!!!!!

1st rank 1 won $6.00
2nd t3 won $5.20
3rd 2 won $5.20
4th 1 won $8.40
5th t2 won $19 40
6th 1 won $6.00
7th 1 won $3.80 ex $21.80
8th t1 won $7.40
9th 1 won $3.20
10th 2 won $6.20 ex $21.00

Thanks guys.....Earl J
Viruss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #73
douglasw32
douglasw32

Acool, Understood, my thought on that is, if everyone using a free program agrees you have no value anyway =(

Also handicappers NEVER agree on anything, when it comes to figures!

If you like the way it works now, no sweat, leave the defaults (the points I use) unchanged.

But I am usually throwing it in a spreadsheet anyway (using the data as a tool) and making adjustments or doing it with a pen at the last min when a horse scratches.

I.E. race is off the turf, the favorite in the turf race scratched.
and it is for maiden claimers.

Then I might want to give 20 points to the top MUD Rating horses.
and 20 for FORM

Right now, I am right back to using a calculator to do that. =)

That is the only change I still want that handi may be able to do.

I hope that clears it up.

I also have found a way to calculate a total to create a way to find the top 4 on my summary sheet for those having trouble with bris files in handis add on, and with a config file you can set the points however you want so I am making headway on my own with handi's motivation =)

It is not as automatic as he can pull of but I think I can get it to work, so some quick changes in a file pull off what I need.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #74
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Congrats to virus for the great day at MNR. I played Del Mar yesterday and hit 8 winners out of 9 races. Playing two horses. One race I missed completely, but the winner was a $46 horse if I remember.

Anyway back to the reason for this post.

AA,

I understand your concern and I agree with you 100%. That's why Handifast in it's present state will remain the same. Any changes that come down the pike will be modular in nature. By that I mean you will be able to use the program as it stands right now for time in memorium.

But as I add things that others might want, they will be addons that will only change their individual program based on their selection of a master interface.
For the first time I am winning on an almost daily basis and I'm not giving that up. That's why I thank Doug all the time for letting me be part of this. But part of the fun for me is to be able to deliver cool things to people on this board.

So for you and me...handifast will continue to operate as it does, and for other's changes, refinements, bells and whistles...whatever you want to call them will be delived to the best of my ability.

Hope that clears things up.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #75
tryto

Problem

Handi,

I still have the problem of not showing the full program on screen.

I get the right side but unable to show the Horses name an numbers.

I think some time back you said you wld correct this problem.

Thanks for all the hard work you and Doug are doing.

Are you still peddling Ice Cream on the Oregon Coast ??
tryto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: