Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #751
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Remain calm at all times.

Jim Mattis had an expiration date too apparently.

The United States is currently "mixing it up" with the World and my bets are all down.

Last edited by Buckeye; 12-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #752
Ocala Mike

All self-inflicted wounds. Remember Boxcar's avatar about Obama, "One Big Ass Mistake, America"? Looks to me that he retired it 2 years too early!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #753
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
What is with these wild swings that seem to happen a few times a week the last few months? I don't ever remember this kind of craziness becoming almost normal in years past.
They really aren't that wild. Oct 1987 when the DJIA dumped 500 pts it was nearly a quarter of the DJIA total. Today, it's not even 2.5% or a tenth of that. I know what you're saying CJ. It took me awhile to see a 450 pt gain and not say, "Whoa, what a day". I've gotten use to looking at my brokerage page, and toggling from pt loss of 200, to percentage loss of 0.8%.

DJIA is about 4100 pts off it's all time high, a drop of roughly 16%. I don't think the index reached 4100 in it's entire history until the '90s sometime.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 AM   #754
ultracapper

I'm pissed about gas prices around the country compared to here. I think I paid $3.18 for mid-grade the other day. Reg unleaded just went under $3 this past weekend. Heating oil is $3.22. That's the low ball side of it at super markets and convenience stores. The national retailers like XOM, ARCO, and Texaco are about $0.30 higher across the board.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #755
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I'm pissed about gas prices around the country compared to here. I think I paid $3.18 for mid-grade the other day. Reg unleaded just went under $3 this past weekend. Heating oil is $3.22. That's the low ball side of it at super markets and convenience stores. The national retailers like XOM, ARCO, and Texaco are about $0.30 higher across the board.
That is because we pay a bullshit gas tax of 67.8 cents per gallon (18.4 Fed + 49.4 state). It could be worse, we could be in California. Still, your prices in Seattle are still higher than other areas. I paid $2.99 at Fred Meyer in Sumner tonight.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:01 AM   #756
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
All self-inflicted wounds. Remember Boxcar's avatar about Obama, "One Big Ass Mistake, America"? Looks to me that he retired it 2 years too early!
See, that's an Unconstitutional Statement on your part if I read it correctly.

Do you think Obama should still be the President?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #757
reckless
Veteran

I am making a personal bet today as we are very close to the bottom of this down swing in the market.

I have 2-3 companies in mind to buy but I will not mention them until 12-31-18. On 12-31-19 I will list those stocks again with their closing prices.

There are too many positives happening in the economy and with the companies I am interested --plus the overall market-- not to be higher next year.

Good luck.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #758
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
See, that's an Unconstitutional Statement on your part if I read it correctly.

Do you think Obama should still be the President?
Of course not - I meant that Trump is the big mistake! Boxcar should recycle the avatar.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #759
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
I am making a personal bet today as we are very close to the bottom of this down swing in the market.

I have 2-3 companies in mind to buy but I will not mention them until 12-31-18. On 12-31-19 I will list those stocks again with their closing prices.

There are too many positives happening in the economy and with the companies I am interested --plus the overall market-- not to be higher next year.

Good luck.
The US economy is decelerating. If credit spreads stay elevated/widen further, things will slow further. Not a political statement (I prefer not to debate politics in the financial markets area; I'm sure I've failed in the past).

Collective (add up all the major central banks' actions) reverse QE continues - turned negative just recently. Big headwind.

I like your focus on individual names - please post and good luck.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 11:27 AM   #760
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
The US economy is decelerating. If credit spreads stay elevated/widen further, things will slow further. Not a political statement (I prefer not to debate politics in the financial markets area; I'm sure I've failed in the past).

Collective (add up all the major central banks' actions) reverse QE continues - turned negative just recently. Big headwind.

I like your focus on individual names - please post and good luck.
whenever new markets for goods and services opens up in the world, the US markets went up. now it looks like we are backing away from emerging markets and the regular places that we did business with have implemented large tariffs against our goods. right here and right now, we are in a big economic war that has not yet been decided.

the China mandate has always been to take over the world, they cannot win with military, but they are sure doing a good job economically.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #761
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Where are the key support levels on the S&P in the opinion of technically oriented posters?
i was looking for some real support and the only case i can make is the market went up to fast in the last 2 years so there really isn't any good support until it goes substantially lower than 2 years ago.

i am not saying you won't get a dead cat bounce at some point, but that will make for some real good shorting opportunities.

you may want to pick some individual stocks and find the needle in the haystack, but its not worth it at this point in time. you are better off waiting for the bounce and play short at that time.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #762
reckless
Veteran

Quote:

Good luck.
I bought Coca-Cola (KO) this afternoon at $47.50 or so. Never ever looked at KO before but two events happened this year that I like, alot:

(1) KO sold off their bottlers and that is a big plus for someone such as myself that looks at Free Cash Flow as the major investing metric. Too much capital expenditures in the past and the bottling plants were a huge drain on cash flow.

(2) The company also named a young, new CEO who seems like he has the goods. Times will tell.

3.2% dividend yield for a company entering a (possible) growth phase while the money managers look at other companies to chat up is OK by me. I do not think KO is on anyone's radar screen.

Plus, finally, I am betting that rates will be lower or flat in 2019 and not higher, despite J. Powell's attempt to kill the Trump economy.

Not sure yet if this is it for me for 2018. I just don't like the way the market is playing.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #763
lamboguy

the volume on this move is huge. usually, when markets move down, they go down pretty fast.

there is no fear in the market, that is a problem in paradise. market bottoms don't come without fear into. there are no real levels for support now and the math looks ugly for this very fast acceleration on the way down.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #764
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I bought Coca-Cola (KO) this afternoon at $47.50 or so. Never ever looked at KO before but two events happened this year that I like, alot:

(1) KO sold off their bottlers and that is a big plus for someone such as myself that looks at Free Cash Flow as the major investing metric. Too much capital expenditures in the past and the bottling plants were a huge drain on cash flow.

(2) The company also named a young, new CEO who seems like he has the goods. Times will tell.

3.2% dividend yield for a company entering a (possible) growth phase while the money managers look at other companies to chat up is OK by me. I do not think KO is on anyone's radar screen.

Plus, finally, I am betting that rates will be lower or flat in 2019 and not higher, despite J. Powell's attempt to kill the Trump economy.

Not sure yet if this is it for me for 2018. I just don't like the way the market is playing.
I went one post without violating what I just said, so call me a liar, but I can't let this pass. Who the hell appointed Powell? Yellen was an uber dove - that's what Trump wanted, but he couldn't keep an Obama appointee. So if Powell tanks anything, the Stable Genius owns it. No one, and I mean no one, thought Powell was as dovish as Yellen. Actually, he was thought to be the most hawkish Fed chair since Volker. Buck stops at DJT's desk. Sorry, he wanted all the credited, so now he takes all the blame.

All of the above said, I do wish you the best of luck with KO.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #765
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
the volume on this move is huge. usually, when markets move down, they go down pretty fast.

there is no fear in the market, that is a problem in paradise. market bottoms don't come without fear into. there are no real levels for support now and the math looks ugly for this very fast acceleration on the way down.
I can't believe the VIX isn't going absolutely nuts to the upside, so I agree with your comment.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: