Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 11-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #16
Johnny V

I thought I recognized Maloney's book and sure enough I have it in my library and I started reading it. It is a pretty good read so far IMO. I am a little more than halfway through. I don't know why I never got around to reading it before this. Usually I devour anything racing related right off.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Not necessarily. There is a place called RPM Handicapping Giant which offers many handicapping methods guaranteed to provide the bettor with a "huge edge at the track"...and they require hardly any work at all.
LOL, you got me for a second there.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 04:38 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Who said anything about "shortcuts"? Any worthy method will require lots of time and effort involved with it to make it successful. Just because his focus is on replays doesn't mean that this the only way one might proceed.
That isn't what the touts say about the methods they sell. They say they work as prescribed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #19
Dave S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That isn't what the touts say about the methods they sell. They say they work as prescribed.
Obviously we are free to develop and test any method that we wish. It does not have to come from a tout (although there is no reason why it couldn't) it could come from our own devices. It all boils down to how much research and time that you devote to it but in the end most methods do lose money.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Obviously we are free to develop and test any method that we wish. It does not have to come from a tout (although there is no reason why it couldn't) it could come from our own devices. It all boils down to how much research and time that you devote to it but in the end most methods do lose money.
I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that ALL the commercially available handicapping methods out there lose money at the track. IMO...there isn't a single winning handicapping method currently being sold...regardless of what the shysters who sell them might claim.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 08:08 PM   #21
Dave S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I am willing to bet my bottom dollar that ALL the commercially available handicapping methods out there lose money at the track. IMO...there isn't a single winning handicapping method currently being sold...regardless of what the shysters who sell them might claim.
So where do stand on Mike Maloney's method? Is he just another shyster as well?
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 08:14 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:
So where do stand on Mike Maloney's method? Is he just another shyster as well?
I didn't see Maloney selling a handicapping method. He is pointing the way...and it's up to the reader to decide if he is willing to travel the long, hard road. That's a far cry from what the "shysters" out there are offering.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 11:05 PM   #23
Johnny V

I believe there is a difference between a handicapping method and a system which I believe is what you are really talking about. I basically agree that systems bought commercially will most likely not be profitable. Not to say that maybe some of the better ones might be helpful to some who are hopeless losers in that they will possibly develop some feel for the game and maybe cut down their losses to a more manageable degree. It might even lead them to pursue more knowledge on their own. A system is better than nothing for these folks.

Methods are something else IMO. We all have a method. We approach the game with our own methods either borrowed and we enhanced upon or learned by our own trial and error. We make a decisions based on that. Decision making is something a system player does really not do. He lacks that quick thinking, making changes to suit the particular racing situation or changes. He hasn't learned to do that yet. So for him a system can be beneficial.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V View Post
Decision making is something a system player does really not do. He lacks that quick thinking, making changes to suit the particular racing situation or changes. He hasn't learned to do that yet. So for him a system can be beneficial.
Your assessment is right on.

I've spent 4 decades as a pure system player.

As the whales have proliferated, it has become more and more difficult for me to win with an absolutely systematic approach.

Within just the past few months I got a performance coach. She specializes in traders and contends that in her industry, there really isn't such a thing as "pure system plays."

She says that almost every single play has gray areas.

Initially, I fought this tooth and nail, but eventually succumbed to the fact that she's correct: there really are a lot of gray races.

Don't misunderstand - my play is still based upon systems, components, and processes, but now I am a HYBRID player - much like an online chess player who uses software to suggest moves as well as playing the game himself.

Ultimately, the play you make is YOURS - for whatever reason you make it.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 11-26-2022 at 11:32 PM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Mike's book is more of a text book, and it goes far beyond just race watching.
As a winner, his ideas are probably worth lookkig at, trying, adjusting, combining with other ideas. After all, there no winning methods, only winning players.

This book is a very good text for handicapping, but you need to do the work to make the money.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:11 PM   #26
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Your assessment is right on.

I've spent 4 decades as a pure system player.

As the whales have proliferated, it has become more and more difficult for me to win with an absolutely systematic approach.

Within just the past few months I got a performance coach. She specializes in traders and contends that in her industry, there really isn't such a thing as "pure system plays."

She says that almost every single play has gray areas.

Initially, I fought this tooth and nail, but eventually succumbed to the fact that she's correct: there really are a lot of gray races.

Don't misunderstand - my play is still based upon systems, components, and processes, but now I am a HYBRID player - much like an online chess player who uses software to suggest moves as well as playing the game himself.

Ultimately, the play you make is YOURS - for whatever reason you make it.
I think it would take some very complex computer code to analyze scenarios as well as the human brain can when assisted by computer calculations.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #27
metro

Quote:
Who said anything about "shortcuts"? Any worthy method will require lots of time and effort involved with it to make it successful. Just because his focus is on replays doesn't mean that this the only way one might proceed.
Unless he's changed his ways Mike's focus is more on looking for biases, making most of his trip notes during the live race, then confirming his notes with the replays (pan and head on) shown right after the race goes official. Once that track's races are over he'll assign his bias figures based on those notes.

Last edited by metro; 11-28-2022 at 10:11 AM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #28
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
I think it would take some very complex computer code to analyze scenarios as well as the human brain can when assisted by computer calculations.
True.

Just because we humans can analyze scenarios without deep learning code does not mean we do it well enough to win.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #29
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V View Post
I thought I recognized Maloney's book and sure enough I have it in my library and I started reading it. It is a pretty good read so far IMO. I am a little more than halfway through. I don't know why I never got around to reading it before this. Usually I devour anything racing related right off.
I thought his book was reviewed right here on PA shortly after it came out? Or maybe I watched a video of a couple of guys reviewing it and talking to Mike. He talked about his transition from a regular 9-5 salaried job into becoming a professional gambler, including convincing his wife. She supported it.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #30
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
True.

Just because we humans can analyze scenarios without deep learning code does not mean we do it well enough to win.
It also requires a LOT of experience and discernment and learning to know which scenarios to recognize.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: