Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 12:39 PM   #106
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I was in the Air Force for 23 years and 2 months, I know all about this.
Thank you for your service CJ.

-short answer = I agree most with the 'ALL' proposal
Old 11-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #107
deathandgravity

Just piling on... cost me a P5.

I wonder if this could be open to a class action lawsuit?
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #108
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
That seems like a reasonable solution until they update the tote system in 2050.

But I'm not even sure they could push a button and make it an all race.
And then racing by up tp 1985.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #109
Gamblin4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Owner of Modern Games...Godolphin.

Just sayin'...

Not meant to be a dig on you in any way, Gamblin4ever. The dig is on The Breeder's Cup...and the CHRB.
I understand ownership of the horse but to say looking out for horse's welfare and then allow him to run. I would rather they just say Godolphin spends 100's of millions on the sport and they say let him race. At least that would be more honest.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #110
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The horse was examined by a vet and there were no injuries.
He was not hurt, he did not break through. Some idiot opened the gate in front of a horse trained to CHARGE OUT when that happens. The rider told Donna later they should have backed him out.

Thank God only 12 more California races for a few years.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #111
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
I understand ownership of the horse but to say looking out for horse's welfare and then allow him to run. I would rather they just say Godolphin spends 100's of millions on the sport and they say let him race. At least that would be more honest.
I absolutely agree with everything you just said. I swear...it's just like Racing loves to rub Fan's faces in it.
Old 11-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #112
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The horse was examined by a vet and there were no injuries.
He was not hurt, he did not break through. Some idiot opened the gate in front of a horse trained to CHARGE OUT when that happens. The rider told Donna later they should have backed him out.

Thank God only 12 more California races for a few years.
The 2 horse was on the ground and protruding over into the 1 stall space. It was to avoid the 2 getting stepped on. Guess backed out was an option but there was chaos so I can't be hard on the guy.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #113
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblin4ever View Post
This post cuts to the crux of it. And begs an obvious question. Please excuse me for being unclear on this, but have the authorities involved confessed to scratching the #1 on misconception (misinformation?) concerning the horse's behavior? Or did they actually pronounce it sound to run, albeit potentially unfit to carry the public's money??
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #114
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
This post cuts to the crux of it. And begs an obvious question. Please excuse me for being unclear on this, but have the authorities involved confessed to scratching the #1 on misconception (misinformation?) concerning the horse's behavior? Or did they actually pronounce it sound to run, albeit potentially unfit to carry the public's money??
Yes, they admitted the horse was scratched prematurely without being examined. They say the horse reared up (I've yet to see it) and then busted through the gate, so the two things together led to the scratch. Of course he didn't bust through the gate. The first one is debatable. But in an "and" situation both have to be true, not one.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #115
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
^^^This^^^

It's like they said what they wanted to say about it. They could have cared less if they cleared up anything.

They were talking to somebody...but it sure as Hell wasn't the Bettors.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #116
statepierback

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
In horse racing, just as many calls work in your favor that don’t. It works itself out in the end with around 30,000 races to bet over the course of the year.
Many moons ago I was at the local off track betting parlor on a day not unlike today. There was a Stakes race at Turfway Park where the co-favorites appeared on paper a obvious exacta box. Seeking value I hustled to the window and placed the 4,7/4,7/All Trifecta key bet hoping a price would finish third. The bet was made just before the race begun.
The wager was a winning one however the third betting choice finished third. For my sixteen dollar investment the payoff was $17.40 , a profit of $1.40. A win is a win so I bought myself a cup of coffee.
About fifteen minutes later I approached the teller to cash the ticket and make another wager. To my amazement the ticket spun right through and a Go To IRS message appeared. In my haste to get the wager in before post the teller bounced Santa Anita in stead of Turfway Park. The Race at Santa Anita finished 4/7/3 and the payoff was $1750.00 more or less. Had it not been for that cup of coffee and the long line at the concession stand I would have most likely noticed the mistake and cancelled that ticket. No way in the world would I have ever come up with that Santa Anita trifecta on my own.
I approached one of my betting pals "Mitchell" and he cashed the ticket for me.

I learned a long time ago when you bet your money you take your chances.

Bad beats happen. That one Santa Anita Handicap non D.Q. cost me about three dimes in potential winnings.

And there was that one goal line Super Bowl pass ................

Last edited by statepierback; 11-06-2021 at 02:11 PM.
statepierback is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #117
jocko699
Resurrectionist

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by statepierback View Post
Many moons ago I was at the local off track betting parlor on a day not unlike today. There was a Stakes race at Turfway Park where the co-favorites appeared on paper a obvious exacta box. Seeking value I hustled to the window and placed the 4,7/4,7/All Trifecta key bet hoping a price would finish third. The bet was made just before the race begun.
The wager was a winning one however the third betting choice finished third. For my sixteen dollar investment the payoff was $17.40 , a profit of $1.40. A win is a win so I bought myself a cup of coffee.
About fifteen minutes later I approached the teller to cash the ticket and make another wager. To my amazement the ticket spun right through and a Go To IRS message appeared. In my haste to get the wager in before post the teller bounced Santa Anita in stead of Turfway Park. The Race at Santa Anita finished 4/7/3 and the payoff was $1750.00 more or less. Had it not been for that cup of coffee and the long line at the concession stand I would have most likely noticed the mistake and cancelled that ticket. No way in the world would I have ever come up with that Santa Anita trifecta on my own.
I approached one of my betting pals "Mitchell" and he cashed the ticket for me.

I learned a long time ago when you bet your money you take your chances.

Bad beats happen. That one Santa Anita Handicap non D.Q. cost me about three dimes in potential winnings.

And there was that one goal line Super Bowl pass ................
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #118
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yes, they admitted the horse was scratched prematurely without being examined. They say the horse reared up (I've yet to see it) and then busted through the gate, so the two things together led to the scratch. Of course he didn't bust through the gate. The first one is debatable. But in an "and" situation both have to be true, not one.
He definitely stumbled badly when he came out. That's why I thought he broke through. The Stewards almost certainly saw the same thing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:44 PM   #119
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
The scratch only cost me a win bet. So I'm not nearly as upset as some people are (and should be).

That said, I'd like to flip this conversation a little from the actual mistake of scratching him to what the solution should be when a horse is mistakenly or accidentally scratched and then the decision is reversed.

Ideally, you'd like to just push a button and allow the computer systems to reverse it all and then give players a little extra time to cancel or change some some wagers if they feel the incident changed the race. But I'm almost certain most systems aren't built with that functionality because it virtually never happens. I'd be surprised if any can handle it.

Setting aside that ideal, what would have been the best outcome?
I think it's too dangerous to give stewards the power to un-scratch a horse. Too much potential for mischief and bettors would complain about that too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #120
delfman

I'd like to read more about this. anyone have links to conversations elsewhere on the web about it?
thanks
delfman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: