Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Special Butter
Journeyman

What's the most you have ever won on a Horse bet? :)

I had an Acquaintance give me a free Horse Ticket that he said that he, and two other Acquaintances bought for me. It was a $100 Horse Ticket. It won an extra $50. Considering the fact that this is the only Horse Ticket of mine that won, this is my biggest win. How about you guys?
Special Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
capitalman

10/31/2010: During the Saratoga meet on 8/21 I bet a first time starter who got shuffled back on a speed favoring turf course and ended up finishing 5th, a little over 5 lengths back, but after the race galloped out well and went by the winner. Due to some rain that fall, he didn't get into another race until Halloween, closing day at Belmont. In between, many of the horses who ran in the 8/21 race came back & won or ran well-a key race. On 10/31 the trainer was switching to his go-to rider at the time and they had great stats together on 2nd time starters. I can still say to this day, I've never been as confident in a horse winning, & I was waiting over 2 months for him to run back. I went all in on him, putting him in 3 P3s, a P4 & singling him in the P6 as well as win, exactas & trifectas. He won by a neck, coming from off the pace to run down another horse (my 2nd choice which gave me the exacta and trifecta too). I ended up hitting all 3 P3s he was in & the P4, then I hit a small P6. By the end of the day I won more than I ever won before or after. The next day I called up OTB and asked them how to cash all the bets. I had some in tickets & some in my account. I ended up going to their offices & getting 2 checks, one from the account & the other for the tickets I had punched. I put the money in the bank & later that year bought a new car with the winnings. Basically I won a new car that day.
capitalman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Longshot6977

I hit the $1 superfecta in the 2010 Belmont Stakes for $10,658. The next year, since Drosslemeyer helped me win that bet as a longshot, I bet him again as a longshot in the 2011 Breeder's cup classic superfecta. It paid $47,631 for $2. I hit it for $1 and got $23,815.

Thank you Drosslemeyer for the $34,473. I think the next big hit was a few years later at Northfield Park in another $1 superfecta with a 4-5 odds on favorite(!) on top for about $4,500. I think I scooped the pool on that one.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
I hit the $1 superfecta in the 2010 Belmont Stakes for $10,658. The next year, since Drosslemeyer helped me win that bet as a longshot, I bet him again as a longshot in the 2011 Breeder's cup classic superfecta. It paid $47,631 for $2. I hit it for $1 and got $23,815.

Thank you Drosslemeyer for the $34,473. I think the next big hit was a few years later at Northfield Park in another $1 superfecta with a 4-5 odds on favorite(!) on top for about $4,500. I think I scooped the pool on that one.
Drosselmeyer was one that got me hooked on the game. I had him in the 2010 Belmont on top, in exactas, and tris. Cleared about 4 grand on $200 worth of bets.

I made the mistake of betting against him in the 2011 classic.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
thaskalos

I won $96,000 on a twin trifecta in 1986. I was 25 years old at the time...and I immediately quit my job to become a professional gambler. I was begging my boss for my job back four months later.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
lex

I'm a small player so this biggest was a $300 exact at Saratoga many years ago. I think I was most proud of the two win bets I had that paid over 99/1 though. One at Saratoga and one at the Big A. Mostly because they weren't just blind longshot bets but horses I picked for a reason. Glad I didn't let anyone talk me off them.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I won $96,000 on a twin trifecta in 1986. I was 25 years old at the time...and I immediately quit my job to become a professional gambler. I was begging my boss for my job back four months later.
Bravo for your honesty
Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A few years ago, a race at TP on the poly, using CJ figures, I hit for over $500 on the horse and a massive exacta to go with it.

In BC cup race, I once hit a $2200 exacta, for like a 4 or 5 dollar box. Saddest part of it was it was contest trce here at PA and I keyed in the WRONG numbers here ( luckily not there!) and didn't win it.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
mostpost

I once won a total of $3600 on consecutive race exactas at The Meadowlands. ($1200 on one race and $2400 on the second. I also won $2700 on a pick 4 at Hawthorne harness several years ago.

Then, many years ago, I was at Hawthorne for the standardbreds. I had made my bets on the race when I noticed the 8 and 9 in the race were both close to 100 to 1. I said, "Just for the heck of it, I should put a $2 exacta box on that.
Of course I didn't and of course it came in and paid $5,000.

Finally, a story that was not about a pari mutual bet. This happened in 1973 and the office I was working in was having a pool on the Kentucky Derby. Of course that is the year Secretariat won. It was ten dollars a horse winner take all. 13 horses; a prize of $130 to the winner.

They held the drawing on Friday afternoon and I picked Sham. I was a big Secretariat fan so I was quite disappointed. Just then one of my coworkers, Charlie, came over to my desk. Charlie had drawn Secretariat. He offered to trade me Secretariat for Sham and as incentive he offered me $10.

I would have traded even up; in fact, I would have paid him $10. We all know what happened. Secretarial won and I collected $130 for which I paid nothing.
Poor Charlie lost $20.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I bet that was the best 4 months of your life.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Tape Reader

I had a few big hits at Saratoga but the one I am most proud of is this:

I was going to meet my son there who was on a corporate trip.

I got stuck in traffic and was late for the second race. Dilemma: Do I buy a beer first or place my bet? I placed my $2.00 TRI box and went looking for my son.

I found him. He had a beer waiting for me and I told him how I just hit a two-thousand plus triple.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
statepierback

4th of July 2000. Hollywood Park. There was a maiden race in the middle of the card that drew in a filly I'd been waiting for. Her previous race she engaged in a speed duel then faded to a bet down 6/5 first time starter. The race was much better than line indicated.
I had about $200 at the start of the card. I started betting pick three's singling my best bet. A twelve dollar ticket survived with an eleven dollar winner. I reloaded another $12.00 pick three and some doubles.
Using three picks a horse named "Wall Street Riot" got home at 35/1. I'll always remember that name.
Then came the race I'd been waiting for. I bet win place, exactas, tri's, super's and rolled another pick 3. I was left with about 30 bucks in my pocket as they entered the gate.
I can't remember the Filly's name but it was one word with five letters. She was #5 and ridden by Tyler Baze. On paper she topped the fractional chart and there was only one other speed entered.
She broke on top, She opened three on the back side and arrived one in front as they entered the stretch. She lasted to win by a nose and paid $26.40. My second choice finished in the second slot. I cashed w/p exacta tri and double. Missed the super.
The next race I connected another pick three that began with "Wall Street Riot"
Kent got home with my best result and that Pick 3 was a signer at around five large.
The final working pick three lost. At that time I was working A second job pouring beer at the ball park. As the sun set I arrived into their parking lot. I counted 78 bennies and placed them in my trunk. My co-workers commented I seemed unusually happy the night. I didn't say a word.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

The name of the horse was Deserina…..

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Back in the early 70s, working for $2.10 an hour, I had my Dad make a bet for me at FL. MY friend, making $1.50 an hour, also wanted a bet.

He liked Sky Village, I liked Sam Lord.

When he came home fro the track, My Dad told us Sam Lord Won, Sky Village placed. We both bet $2 WP.
Then the good news.....they were freaking COUPLED!
And the entry paid off at 25-1!
Old 08-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #15
clicknow

It was many years ago. $11K on one race. I posted it before the race somewhere but I forgot where now.

I've hit a coupla $3-4K races here and there. Mostly with big longshot keys on trifectas and/or superfectas, but i don't wager like that anymore, nor have I ever bet really large amounts so I suspect I'll remain around there as a "big hit" qualifier if it happens again.

I've had several friends who hit the $90+K stuff in some of the TC races. They are mostly pedigree cappers (who value track performance too of course) though who have 20 years of good record keeping to inform them. If you're betting a horse to do something they've never done before, at a young age, I think the pedigree stuff is very useful.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply