Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #5566
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Yeah...the only problem with your dumb analogy is Newton, Copernicus, Galileo, and the rest are no longer alone. Their theories or laws are pretty well accepted. Oh yeah...I forgot...some time in the future...yours will be too, right?
Better minds than mine are working on the problem. I expect that they will solve the problem, one way or the other. To automatically insist that it will be your way is a God-of-the-gaps argument.

Quote:
By the way...I assume you're planning on refuting one or more laws of logic?
No. My plan is to expose your misuse of them.

Quote:
You're quite right that ANYONE can put anything on the internet. You summarily dismiss all the links and quotes I have provided to make my case and then accuse me of posting "anything" -- but you exempt your own posts? Why?
Because, if necessary, I can back up the links through other sources. I try to keep my internet citations to a minimum. They can be useful as examples but not as arguments themselves.

Quote:
Because you don't post nonsense!?
Right.

Quote:
And finally, is the nonsense you post, peer-reviewed!?
  • It's not nonsense. Such a claim is an ad hominem argument.
  • If an imminent scientist makes a claim within his/her area of expertise then it's fairly certain it's been peer-reviewed or is undergoing peer-review. Peer-review is an ongoing process that never ends.

Quote:
Another case of special pleading, since you insist on a criteria for others from which you exempt yourself!
Ad hominem! Give us one concrete example in which I've "exempted" myself.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #5567
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I don't "preach" Christianity to you.
Yeah, right!

I have some property in Swampland that's for sale.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #5568
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Better minds than mine are working on the problem. I expect that they will solve the problem, one way or the other. To automatically insist that it will be your way is a God-of-the-gaps argument.
Again, you exempt your nonsense from your own criteria! You special plead better than anyone here! When you continually imply that some day in the future, we're going to have answers for this, that and everything else under the sun -- then that, sir, is science of the gaps. The "gap" is the ignorance of the Present, so your pat, automatic response is that the the Future will reveal all. Just trust in the science of the Future!

Quote:
No. My plan is to expose your misuse of them.
Good luck with that. Better people than you have tried...and have failed! (For your info, I'm very aware of such foolish arguments on the internet.)

Quote:
Because, if necessary, I can back up the links through other sources. I try to keep my internet citations to a minimum. They can be useful as examples but not as arguments themselves.
What are you saying, "...I can back up the links through other sources"? What are talking about? I don't use the links to argue but to corroborate my own arguments or more recently, in most cases, corroborate and support Wilson's viewpoints. The links, when judiciously used, are very good tools. At least they tell the reader, I'm not pulling stuff out any of my orifices -- as you do. "I don't agree". And in the vast majority of cases, they were science-based links or accredited publications of knowledge, such as Encyclopedia Brittanica "I don't agree". "This is wrong." And that's supposed to settle the issue because Mr. Delusions of Grandeur has spoken!?

Quote:
  • It's not nonsense. Such a claim is an ad hominem argument.
  • If an imminent [sic] scientist makes a claim within his/her area of expertise then it's fairly certain it's been peer-reviewed or is undergoing peer-review. Peer-review is an ongoing process that never ends.

Ad hominem! Give us one concrete example in which I've "exempted" myself.
Making up definitions again? How is it ad hominem? I neither attacked your character or appealed to feelings. Just stated fact based on my critical assessment of your posts.

And so you think you're an "imminent" scientist, heh? What threat are you hanging over our heads?

You're so full of yourself and obviously have these delusions of grandeur that put yourself into the company of such notable scientists as Newton, Copernicus, Galileo, etc., and then you expect anyone to take you seriously? Fantasize much, do you? I mean you're the guy who can't comprehend that no one would know Space existed if it weren't for Matter, or even more specifically Motion revealing it to us. Here's a clue: Space itself is invisible, ya know?

And I gave you two concrete examples earlier wherein you were guilty of special pleading.

Have a nice evening.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #5569
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
... you continually imply that some day in the future, we're going to have answers for this, that and everything else under the sun --
I never said any such thing. For the record I believe that the universe is infinitely complex. Every answer reveals new questions and the cycle goes on forever. We will never know everything else under the sun.

Quote:
Better people than you have tried...and have failed!
I doubt that?

Quote:
How is it ad hominem? I neither attacked your character or appealed to feelings. Just stated fact based on my critical assessment of your posts.
Thanks for admitting that. "Ad hominem" translates "against the man". It means you advance no argument, offer no counter-argument. It is the last refuge of one who has no argument.

Quote:
I mean you're the guy who can't comprehend that no one would know Space existed if it weren't for Matter, or even more specifically Motion revealing it to us. Here's a clue: Space itself is invisible, ya know?
I have never taken any position on any of those propositions. In fact I have been very careful to avoid taking a position. Those are philosophical issues in which I have no interest.

Quote:
And I gave you two concrete examples earlier wherein you were guilty of special pleading.
In exactly what posts? Quote exactly what I said. If you cannot do both then your examples are not concrete.

Quote:
Have a nice evening.
And may you and Rev. Graham have a nice time when finally you meet. Oh, wait. Rev. Graham did not belong to your church which means he'll be with the Dahli Llama and me.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #5570
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
I mean you're the guy who can't comprehend that no one would know Space existed if it weren't for Matter, or even more specifically Motion revealing it to us. Here's a clue: Space itself is invisible, ya know?
We can measure distances without matter. BTW, "reveal" is not the correct word.

Did you mean "dream", since so much of your ranting is fantasy

Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #5571
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
We can measure distances without matter. BTW, "reveal" is not the correct word.

Did you mean "dream", since so much of your ranting is fantasy

Good luck in measuring what you cannot see -- what has no physical boundaries. What part if "invisible" don't you get? Space, apart from Matter which occupies it, would be totally undiscernible. In fact...Empty Space = Nothing. You, of all people, should be intimately acquainted with what occupies your attic.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #5572
boxcar

Quote:
I never said any such thing. For the record I believe that the universe is infinitely complex. Every answer reveals new questions and the cycle goes on forever. We will never know everything else under the sun.
Really? "Infinitely complex", heh? So you believe in the biological principle of Irreducible Complexity, do you?

And thanks for implying (albeit unwittingly) that evolution BEGS the QUESTION at every turn. "Every answer reveals new questions". As you have said, it's an endless cycle. Can we not, by your own words, infer that evolution could be likened to a cat mindlessly chasing his tail in endless circles?

Quote:
I doubt that?
You asking or telling me? And by the way, when you write your tomes and accuse me of misusing the laws of logic, you need to demonstrate how specifically, I have done that. Just leveling the charge, apart from providing concrete proof ain't going to cut it. (Forgive my poor vernacular. I haven't had enough dark java yet.) Just as I can demonstrate how a law has been violated, you too, since you're making the claim, must demonstrate by quoting me and showing how I violated the proper use of any given law. Additionally, you must also provide non-mathematical examples of what you consider to be proper use of the law so that all would be able to clearly see the differences between that and improper use clearly. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to your fluff pieces.

Quote:
Thanks for admitting that. "Ad hominem" translates "against the man". It means you advance no argument, offer no counter-argument. It is the last refuge of one who has no argument.
You need to get on some heavy dosages of anti-projection drugs.

Quote:
I have never taken any position on any of those propositions. In fact I have been very careful to avoid taking a position. Those are philosophical issues in which I have no interest.
This is not a philosophical issue. It's a physical science issue. In fact, it really is a self-evident physical science issue. No logical inferences are required. If you remove all Matter from Space we are left with NOTHING! For that matter (good pun intended) this planet would cease to exist No one would be around to physically observe anything. And I have given the empty room analogy more than once. Just as a room's furnishings, decor, etc. define what kind of room it is, likewise the Matter that occupies Space tells us that Space exists.

Quote:
In exactly what posts? Quote exactly what I said. If you cannot do both then your examples are not concrete.
I answered this last night. I'm not repeating myself. Learn to pay attention.

Quote:
And may you and Rev. Graham have a nice time when finally you meet. Oh, wait. Rev. Graham did not belong to your church which means he'll be with the Dahli Llama and me.
I think the probabilities on that are pretty Slim. This is because he's dead. So that leaves you with just 0% probability for your scenario. Mr. None rules the day.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #5573
boxcar

Actor, a few questions for you:

Is Abiogenesis, generally, considered to be a scientific

1. Fact
2. Law
3. Theory
4. Hypothesis
5. Fiction
6. None of the above?

Much earlier in this discussion you defined abiogenesis as taking place in a large, open system and biogenesis, conversely, as occurring in a small, closed system. You never answered my question about whether you meant the universe by "open or closed" or were you alluding to a more a localized environment, such as this planet?

And finally, how could either take place since the two very different conditions required for either abiogenesis or biogenesis to have occurred are mutually exclusive?

Last edited by boxcar; 02-22-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #5574
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I think the probabilities on that are pretty Slim. This is because he's dead. So that leaves you with just 0% probability for your scenario.
Why 0%. One day you too will be dead and you think there's an afterlife. So it all comes down to the question of whether the two of you wind up in the same place.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #5575
boxcar

Quote:
Why 0%. One day you too will be dead and you think there's an afterlife. So it all comes down to the question of whether the two of you wind up in the same place.
If we do, it won't be because of our church-affiliation. Church affiliation has nothing to do with salvation. There's no scripture that says, "Thou shalt be saved if your Southern Baptist, or if you're a Reformed Baptist, or if you're a Presbyterian, etc.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #5576
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
We can measure distances without matter.
You've got me thinking and I'm puzzled.
Can you give us an example of that?
Old 02-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #5577
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Really? "Infinitely complex", heh? So you believe in the biological principle of Irreducible Complexity, do you?
The two are not the same. E.g., matter is made up of atoms. Atoms are made up of electrons, protons, neutrons. Those are made up of fermions, bosons, etc. There's probably another layer beyond that.

Newtonian mechanics explains motion, but for the very small it fails and we have to use quantum mechanics. It also fails for the very fast and we need relativity.

Irreducible Complexity is woo made up by creationists. It's been thoroughly debunked. Watch the following video and you'll see Mr. Behe (who made up the term) make an ass of himself on the witness stand.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #5578
boxcar

Quote:
The two are not the same. E.g., matter is made up of atoms. Atoms are made up of electrons, protons, neutrons. Those are made up of fermions, bosons, etc. There's probably another layer beyond that.
Wow, that's it, huh? Doesn't sound so "infinitely complex". Sounds like you have really good handle on the formation, structure and the minute-by-minute operations of the universe. Maybe you really are an "imminent" scientist who just hasn't been recognized yet as genuine Science Hall of Shame material. But where there is a hope for a future, there is hope.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 AM   #5579
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Wow, that's it, huh?
Yup! That's it. Everything you need to know about life, the universe and everything. The answer is, of course, 42.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:02 AM   #5580
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
You've got me thinking and I'm puzzled.
Can you give us an example of that?
Boxcar said
Quote:
"good luck measuring what you can't see"
Radiation is another form of matter but boxcar does not recognize it as matter. (E=MC^2). Various kinds of radiation of certain wavelengths can not be seen by the naked eye. If boxcar did accept electromagnetic phenomena of all sorts, would have to accept Einstein and he then might have to consider the curvature of space-time, and that a good portion of the universe is curved without the presence of local "matter"

And as I have posted a number of times "virtual particles", on the quantum level pop in and out of existence.

"Virtual particles are indeed real particles. Quantum theory predicts that every particle spends some time as a combination of other particles in all possible ways. These predictions are very well understood and tested"....Gordon Kane, director of the Michigan Center for Theoretical Physics at the University of Michigan .

Evidence....

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

....In quantum field theory, the Casimir effect and the Casimir–Polder force are physical forces arising from a quantized field. They are named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir who predicted them in 1948.
Casimir forces on parallel plates

If boxcar did accept virtual particles he might have to consider the universe is still being created and annihilated way past the biblical 7 day timeline

Last edited by hcap; 02-23-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: